What does last minute really mean?

We have moved to Florida, and can be at Port Canaveral in an hour. We are looking into a 3 day Bahama weekend cruise.

I was wondering how far out I have to book? Can I decide on a Wednesday for a Friday leave?

And for those short notice laves, who is the best to contact?

Thanks.

Matt Hamm

I believe that would be to late to book, but I could be wrong. The cruise lines are required to have all information in for passengers by a certain date. By waiting that late to book a cruise, providing a room is even available, you would have to pay all fees up front. I am sure others will be able to provide more information. Call the cruise lines and ask them what is the latest you can book. Ok did a look up and 72 hrs is what I cam getting.

You can book as late as you have time to pack and get to the port. I have booked the morning of a cruise .. almost missed the ship due to the tropical storm (the reason for the last minute cancellations and cabins open)... but I didnt think about traffic thru Houston in a tropical storm after a small hurricane.

People will give you rubbish and rumors about having to book 48 and further out..simply NOT TRUE.

You do have to call the cruiseline to book last minute or a TA.. you cant show up at the port, you have to call and book last minute.

I was going to book voyager last minute one time and RCL told me for a Sunday sailing, I did have to book by Saturday afernoon, they could not get the booking done sunday morning.. so saturday the day before was the latest for a sunday sailing.

Last minute means you can call and if there is a cabin available you can book it. I was seated with a lot of last minute bookers at late dinner (got stuck with late dinner). One guy said his TA was able to get $50 pp off the published rates 48 hours in advance, but he thought it was because he is a big gambler on the ship.

I believe that would be to late to book, but I could be wrong. The cruise lines are required to have all information in for passengers by a certain date. By waiting that late to book a cruise, providing a room is even available, you would have to pay all fees up front. I am sure others will be able to provide more information. Call the cruise lines and ask them what is the latest you can book. Ok did a look up and 72 hrs is what I cam getting.

Could you provide a link showing this to be true .. I know its not true is why Im asking for your source.. so we can put this rumor to bed once and for all.

The last manifest goes in 60 minutes before the cruise leaves.

I checked the faq and it sounds like 3 days is a suggestion and not a requirement.

--------------------------------

Completing the Online Check-In process for all the guests in your reservation will save you from having to fill out forms at the pier and needs to be completed 3 days prior to your saildate.

Royal Caribbean International requires guests to be checked in no later than 60 minutes prior to the scheduled sailing time*. Guests arriving late will not be permitted to sail. This supports government regulations in some ports that require cruise lines to submit a departure manifest 60 minutes prior to sailing. Guests are requested to complete Online Check-In no later than 3 days prior to the cruise in order to expedite the pier check-in process.

*Some sailings may require an earlier check-in time. Please refer to your Guest Vacation Documents for specific information.

I just booked someone at 5PM last Saturday for a 7 Night NCL cruise for Sunday. . . (les than 24Hrs) :eek:

It can be done late ! I don't recommend it though. . .

Radio

;);)

I checked the faq and it sounds like 3 days is a suggestion and not a requirement.

--------------------------------

Completing the Online Check-In process for all the guests in your reservation will save you from having to fill out forms at the pier and needs to be completed 3 days prior to your saildate.

Royal Caribbean International requires guests to be checked in no later than 60 minutes prior to the scheduled sailing time*. Guests arriving late will not be permitted to sail. This supports government regulations in some ports that require cruise lines to submit a departure manifest 60 minutes prior to sailing. Guests are requested to complete Online Check-In no later than 3 days prior to the cruise in order to expedite the pier check-in process.

*Some sailings may require an earlier check-in time. Please refer to your Guest Vacation Documents for specific information.

This addresses how late you can complete your online check in.

It doesnt address when you can book. I wasnt one the porters manifest and wasnt on the cabin steward's list .. I did have to first check in and then I was allowed to check my luggage .. so its a little more hassle.

This addresses how late you can complete your online check in.

Yes, but you have to book first before you can log in. So it does have some correlation. If you are under the impression that you have to check in 3 days prior then you'd have to have booked 3 days prior.

I would think the only reason a Sunday transaction might not be able to go through same day is because of banking and/or IT related issues.

If only we had the ability to book more last minute cruises ... work and family commitments prevent us from doing so. The most "last minute" cruise we ever took was on an NCL cruise to Bermuda last year, and that was booked 10 days prior to sailing.

I think we all agree that the final "manifest" has to be submitted to the proper authorities at some time prior to sailing, but have not been able to find a definitive time as to *WHEN* that actually is done.

Michael and Silke

Yes, but you have to book first before you can log in. So it does have some correlation. If you are under the impression that you have to check in 3 days prior then you'd have to have booked 3 days prior.

I would think the only reason a Sunday transaction might not be able to go through same day is because of banking and/or IT related issues.

No real correlation, as online check-in is not a requirement to sail. So while online check-in is closed you can still go ahead and check-in the "old fashioned style" at the pier.

I dont know why RCL cuts off online check in 3 days before as other cruiselines dont. It really isnt required as pointed out to check in online. Just a convenience ..

I thought the reason I couldnt book on a sunday morning for a sunday cruise sounded like it was because the folks who have to finalize the booking dont work on sundays?? but it could be the banks being closed .. but then they said I could book sat aftnoon and my bank is closed then too?? So, I dont know why RCL told me I couldnt book sunday for a sunday cruise.

I just logged into the RCI TA site just to test it and there is availabilty on Rhapsody leaving tomorrow (May 20th) and I was able to start a new reservation. So the answer is LESS THAN 24 hours. ;)

I actually already knew that because another CCer booked and left for a cruise within 24 hours and he talked about it when he did it. It was Crusingator if I remember correctly.

You can book a cruise on RCI (if cabins are available) up to around 4-5 p.m. the day before.

We have done it several times. At around 5 p.m. +/- a couple hours RCI prepares a manifest file to forward to the pier. Typically it is turned in 90 minutes prior to sailing to meet the govt 60 minute deadline.

Inside 72 hours, you cannot check in online. You have to do it at the pier. Takes about 5 extra minutes.

When you get you sea pass card, you might have a dining time assigned, but probably not a table number. You will have to get one assigned on the ship when you board.

Also, any C&A benefits will have to be addressed once on board. You can still get them. You just have to check with the L/A, etc after boarding.

Hmmmm and here I was thinking they had a last minute wait list of people to call, if there wereto be empty cabins, offering super low fare just to fill the ship. People they could call that morning and see if they wanted to cruise for a deal. If not it's going to ruin my whole retirement plan. ;)

I just logged into the RCI TA site just to test it and there is availabilty on Rhapsody leaving tomorrow (May 20th) and I was able to start a new reservation. So the answer is LESS THAN 24 hours. ;)

I actually already knew that because another CCer booked and left for a cruise within 24 hours and he talked about it when he did it. It was Crusingator if I remember correctly.

Was the price significantly cheaper? Just wondering ;)

2 days before shouldn't be a problem.

Some of the best 'FL resident' prices can

be had about 4 to 3 weeks before sailing

on Tuesday....especially for those off-season cruises.

I heard, on a ships tour, that some cruise lines offer 'some' unsold

cabins to their employees a few weeks before sailing at discount.

:cool::cool:

The closest last minute cruise purchase that I made was on Tuesday when the ship sailed on Friday. I was able to get a fantastic rate for a single cruiser. however not the cheapest I ever paid for a cruise going solo.

I don't know what other people payed, but I payed 299.00 inside cabin 7 day from Ft. Lauderdale and and 159.00 inside 5 day from Ft. Lauderdale.

I am ten miles beyond confused now.

You started a thread asking WHY IS ROYAL CARIBBEAN SO EXPENSIVE?

This is rather oxymoronic, don't you think?

:eek: :confused: :eek: :confused:

Archived