One bag travel/packing light on the cheap

I think it depends on how you use the polyester clothing. We have a ton of it in my household and we use it for its intent...sweating profusely in our humidity and heat...playing tennis...doing Zumba...and it stinks. It's very hard to wash the smell out...I have to soak it in a mixture of Borax and white vinegar...and THEN wash...and then it's okay. Perhaps if it were used exclusively for travel and never reached the point of saturation that it does when we are active, it would be okay.

But I have to agree with ducklite...in the heat and humidity, I prefer natural fabrics...maybe living in Florida and Texas versus north of Mason Dixon makes a difference?

I do have a couple of matte jersey dresses that are polyester/spandex...I know what you are saying about travel regarding the fabric...they travel well...and the weight of the fabric makes them hang nice...but if I have a choice between those and the super lightweight cotton gauze dress?...gauze dress wins every time in the heat.

I don't know how the heat in Europe compares to my Texas heat...so YMMV.

I hate cotton if I'm out in hot temps doing something active. I live in NC and wear the same clothing hiking here that I wore climbing the Acropolis a couple weeks ago - wicking shirts & shorts. They dry fast and don't stick to my skin and I've never had a problem with any of our wicking clothing holding on to odors. We packed a combo of natural fibers and wicking clothing and planned our wardrobe for the day based on what we planned to do. We did a lot of laundry in our cabin (3 week trip....) and the cotton takes three times as long to dry. What a PITA:rolleyes: So we all have our preferences. Maybe if I didn't sweat like a horse, I'd wear linen and cotton all the time. But since I do......(sadly, this woman does FAR more than simply "glisten" :o)

*I think it's important to note there are a LOT of different types of manmade fabrics out there and they don't all have the same properties......Some can be hot. Some can be delightful!

Who has some brands of workout clothing that aren't hot, wick away moisture and wash by hand (with odors gone) and dry fast to recommend?

We exercise quite a bit on cruises and so I am constantly washing my cotton tank tops--they do take a while to dry. So I am going to be looking for some of the non-cotton type that dry faster and yet aren't hot.

Also important; I don't want the skin-tight look or a racer back if I can help it. A looser fit, like a regular tank top, is what I'm looking for.

We don't have a lot of different stores to try things on and I have a horrible time buying things online due to fit problems.

Who has some brands of workout clothing that aren't hot, wick away moisture and wash by hand (with odors gone) and dry fast to recommend?

We exercise quite a bit on cruises and so I am constantly washing my cotton tank tops--they do take a while to dry. So I am going to be looking for some of the non-cotton type that dry faster and yet aren't hot.

Also important; I don't want the skin-tight look or a racer back if I can help it. A looser fit, like a regular tank top, is what I'm looking for.

We don't have a lot of different stores to try things on and I have a horrible time buying things online due to fit problems.

I love these:

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/womens/apparel/pid1210874-Women-s-Rib-Tank/1210874-329

I'm not the only ones that wear them to class. I sweat. Like, I am a WET RAG, my clothing is like wet swim suit clothing wet, smack if it hits the tile floor. And I LOVE these shirts. So does everyone in class that wears them. They are available at our local Academy Stores in TX...The online model looks like it's a fitted shirt, which, depending on how you wear it, it could be I suppose...but the length is so long, if it is sort of fitted, you can make it all wrinkled and gathered and still have it be long (place the hem at your hip bones and make the gathered look all across your abs? does that make sense?). Personally, I love the fact that there is no built in bra, as I always need more support than a typical shelf bra anyway...but that also helps with the dry time (it's only one layer of fabric throughout).

When I first went to the site to look this up, a code for free shipping came up:

FVJPLL4A4

Let me know if you have any questions about fit...I can help as much as I can relate my own experience. :)

Almost if not all of the major manufactures of fitness, golf, or hiking clothing make cloths of this materal. If you have a store like Dick's Sporting Goods or an outdoor store like REI you should be able to find a style and fit you like.

Shak

Almost if not all of the major manufactures of fitness, golf, or hiking clothing make cloths of this materal. If you have a store like Dick's Sporting Goods or an outdoor store like REI you should be able to find a style and fit you like.

Shak

Also try Cabellas or Bass Pro Shop.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. We have to drive 2.5 hours, to Omaha, to find some of the stores you mentioned, so it is a bit inconvenient, but possible. At least this gives me some basis for starting to look. We also have a smaller shopping town about 20 miles away--I'll probably start there.

Anita--the tank looks great, but it is fitted--and we don't have any Academy stores here, that I know of--I have been in them in Texas, nice stores. Does it feel tight and show every bulge? Full disclosure, I am 66, so, even though my figure is decent, it's still not the same as someone 26--or 36.

I'm a little worried that I will buy something, wear it a few times, and then realize that the odor doesn't wash out, especially when washing by hand.

I had been looking for a non-tight non-logo wicking fabric tank top for ages - finally found it at the Eddie Bauer outlet in Williamsburg VA earlier in the summer. I bought every color they had! Sadly cannot find them on their website though. (which makes sense- Eddie Bauer has clothing made just for their outlets I think)

The Underarmour outlet had some nice sleeveless shirts too - like this polo: http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/womens/apparel/tops/sleeveless/pid1216631-Women-s-Core-Solid-Sleeveless-Polo/1216631-001

And I've been able to find some nicely feminine but not "workout" stuff at the Izod outlet as well. The golf & tennis style fit my preppy style nicely. Others on the board love Athleta but that's not a good match for my personal style. Good luck!

I don't do a lot of shopping in person - outlets or stores a couple times a year. I do lots of online shopping - Sierra Trading Post is one of my favorite websites!

The tank is not a compression tank, the online photo makes it look like a fitted tank, but it doesn't have to be. Because of the stretch, you can buy whatever size you want to make it more or less fitted. The ribbing in the fabric means that all the different bumps and lumps aren't highlighted like they might be in more typically shiny wicking fabric, so it feels very flattering to wear. Also, it isn't thick fabric, but it isn't thin fabric...it has enough of a "hand" that it can have a bit of its own shape, not completely clinging to your own, if that makes sense.

It's a long tank so you can adjust the way it fits you. If you look at the online photo, you can see that the hem is almost at the crotch line, so if you raise that hem, the extra fabric creates wrinkles like a ruching kind of look that helps to disguise any bulges even more. I understand not wanting an uncomfortable fitted tank, but if you allow this tank to be semi-fitted, I swear you will like your silhouette, just enough extra fabric to not highlight imperfections, not too much fabric to add pounds.

A classmate of mine in her early 60s LOVES hers as much as love them...we both showed up wearing the same color one day, so we had a fun chat about how comfortable the tanks are and how happy we are owning them and how many different colors we own.

I'm almost 5'8"...I wear a size 10ish...give or take the manufacture...and I really like the way a large fits me. Also...I'm not small chested...the large has plenty of room for the girls.

Thanks! I'll give these a try, and look at the Eddie Bauer too. It's kind of a pain to be so far from any decent shopping, since I have to try almost anything on to get a decent fit.

I'm probably just too picky when it comes to fit, but a lot of things just don't work for me.

I'm probably just too picky when it comes to fit, but a lot of things just don't work for me.

Would it be easier for you to find a good seamstress than to travel to shop? (I'm asking seriously, not sarcastically) In the past, I've been fortunate enough to have a great seamstress nearby who didn't charge outrageous fees for helping my clothes fit me better. Not so great options now, unfortunately.....

Would it be easier for you to find a good seamstress than to travel to shop? (I'm asking seriously, not sarcastically) In the past, I've been fortunate enough to have a great seamstress nearby who didn't charge outrageous fees for helping my clothes fit me better. Not so great options now, unfortunately.....

Right now, I don't know of anyone.

My niece, who worked in a bridal shop summers during college, used to sometimes tailor for me, but now that she has two kids, a teaching job, just got her masters, has horses, big garden, big house, many activities for the kids, etc., I don't like to ask her. Plus, she wouldn't charge enough to pay for her time (for family members) and I couldn't even force her to accept a decent rate!

It's kind of a dying breed, especially outside of cities, I think.

Not to get too OT, but a good seamstress is worth her weight in gold! After a couple of years living here, I found one nearby and I can't count the number of times she has saved me from insanity by altering things for me that I loved but sadly didn't fit quite right.

Regarding new vs old style synthetic materials, I do agree the newer ones can be nice. I do like to see/feel them in person though. Some are much heavier than you'd think, so even though they are breatheable, they may not be particularly "cool" to wear.

Well, my husband is packed! Our 15 nt cruise is next Sunday out of San Diego.

He has all of his (polyester) golf shirts and exercise wear and hiking underwear...his friends say he doesn't sweat (when exercising) he "foams"..and he never has a problem with odors on his wicking sports clothes--or nicer golf shirts...of course we do live in MA--I can only imagine how hot it is in Texas! I think our secret is to launder exercise clothing asap...we hand wash this stuff out on the ship...Aloha to all on Century cruise next week...

FWIW, yes, I use Under Armour products as well, and really like them.

In the last few years, though, I've also discovered ExOfficio. They have a few stores, but largely sell online. Their products are FANTASTIC for activities, and perfectly suited to travel. One of their big selling points is being able to wash out their stuff in the sink, if you want, and then wear the next day. When I'm travelling, I make it a point to use ExOfficio undershirts and underwear, and really like their lightweight shirts and pants, too, especially for hiking.

FWIW, yes, I use Under Armour products as well, and really like them.

In the last few years, though, I've also discovered ExOfficio. They have a few stores, but largely sell online. Their products are FANTASTIC for activities, and perfectly suited to travel. One of their big selling points is being able to wash out their stuff in the sink, if you want, and then wear the next day. When I'm travelling, I make it a point to use ExOfficio undershirts and underwear, and really like their lightweight shirts and pants, too, especially for hiking.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com has lots of ExOfficio clothing at reasonable prices, which is really good since it's pricey. Worth it though, as you say.

• 2 weeks later...

What about for a cold weather 2 week cruise? We hope to go on a Baltic cruise (Scandinavia & St Petersburg) next May. We expect the weather to still be cool (this is from someone from Texas who's used to hot weather). How to pack for that type of cruise?

Pam

I pack only one bag. Last time that was for a month. Including two weeks of cruising and two weeks of land.

Here's how I do it.

1. I have a list of what I wore on the last cruise. Actually the list is what I took and I mark down if I wore it or not. I have lists for every destination I visit but since I only cruise in warm weather I reuse the same list.

2. I do not use travel clothes except a Travelsmith skirt and their lightweight jeans. The bulk of my wardrobe is VERY lightweight cotton, almost cheesecloth texture. They take up almost no room.I am looking for this fabric whenever I shop. Most of my wardrobe is second hand from consignment shops or even Goodwill. This does not stop me from having a VERY chic wardrobe.

3. I use packing cubes. I cannot recommend these highly enough. These are available online. I use 4- one big one for tops (the bulk of my wardrobe), another big one for bottoms and dressy clothes. A medium size for things I will use les often like bathing suits, sarongs, shawls, and a small one for underwear.

4, the two big items are shoes and toiletries. I use ony small size toiletries and have a seperate small bag for drugs. For shoes I take ones ith fabric tops so the only thing that takes up space is the sole. I have day sandals, dress sandals for dinner and a seperate pair for formal nights. Again they take up little room since the tops are fabric. And I wear walking shoes on the plane.

5. I start packing 2 or even 3 weeks in advance. That is, every time I go in my closet and see something that looks appropriate I put it in a box. The week before I go I try to fit that all in the bag. It won't fit so I start to eliminate which takes several days until I cut it down enough.

Hope this helps.

If you don't like shipping charges, check out LL Bean - no charge, no minimum. I have bought a lot of travel clothes because I do need SPF 30 shirts, due to having had skin cancer. Check Sierra Trading Post (online or in person) for such things cheaper. I also frequent the local cancer resale shop where I've gotten a lot of nice dressy things for $5-10 dollars!!! The local sports stores should have "hiking" clothes on sale now; I've bought some zip off pants that *do* feel nice against the skin & dry overnight. Weekender separates don't wrinkle but aren't cheap. Good luck!

Last March my husband and I did a 14 night cruise to Barcelona on Oceania. We then spent two weeks in Spain and one week in Andorra. We each carried a back pack, became friends with the on board self service laundry and laughed at the enormous body bags that cluttered the corridors when we landed in Spain. . We were able to travel with no problems. My outfits were colored coordinated, used accessories to spice things up a bit. Since we had no assigned seats for our meals, no knew how limited was the wardrobe that we packed. I even discarded a few items because I made some purchases in Spain. I am never a slave to luggage!

Cold weather packing - merino wool long underwear, a cashmere wrap/scarf, fleece hat & gloves - don't take up much room to pack, keep me very warm. Don't take as many pieces of clothing - must layer & mix/match. For a 6 day trip to Amsterdam last November - it snowed, sleeted or rained every day. But I was toasty warm. 2 prs pants (we had a washing machine & dryer- we rented an apartment) a couple cashmere sweaters, 3 silk or wool tops, merino long underwear. SmartWool socks, Keen ankle boots that had been treated with "waterproofing" spray. And a jacket from Lands End - looks like a barn jacket - water resistant and warm, but lightweight & doesn't take up a lot of packing space the way wool would. (I have a Dory similar to this style but it was a closeout a couple years ago - I don't see the same style now http://www.landsend.com/pp/DoryJacket~227399_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::CLN&CM_MERCH=search-_-dory&origin=search)

(my suggestions will likely be overkill for a Baltic cruise - that's not cold weather - it's "temperate" or cool ;-) Still, layers & goretex (or something else waterproof - we love goretex because it's breathable and comfortable)

I agree with you. Packing and fiiguring out what clothes to wear is part of the fun. This is my 9th cruise and I am getting pretty good at it. I narrow my shoes selction down by coordinating my outfit around the shoes. I have clothes I keep just for traveling and sometimes add a new piece or two. ;)

Well I have a link actually 2 links for shoes--I am not part of either of the companies but I used to wear the Onesoles but had toe joint implant in March & we are going on B2B cruise & will be gone 31 days. BUT my surgery foot is now still larger & I cannot wear my dress shoes--actually hardly any of my shoes...so I had seen something else I thought might work, they are called Switch-Flops--so now these are what I have as since my foot is still swollen with scar tissue still, the Onesoles don't come across my foot as well. (they are tight & I feel it on the scar tissues) so hoping now one really says too much with me wearing the switch-flops--but most of the tops are fancy that I got--I had a store locally that had them & got some tops there & also online--as I know I have to have the other foot big toe implant also, I am NOW prepared.:eek::D

here are the 2 links:

http://www.onesole.com/ Onesole

http://www.wilkinsandolander.com/MFR-SWITCH.html?gclid=CPb--_iHxaoCFQVrKgodwD6m7w Switch-Flops

I will be wearing a pair of tennis type slip on shoes that still fit me--for flight & tours. So now I can have mix & match. I do not like cotton clothing for me it is too hot, I like the clothes they have alot of out now days--doesn't wrinkle & isn't very heavy to wear--it works for me. I like brown & black so I do mix & match with clothes that match one or the other or 2-3 Hope this might help some of you.

Archived