Cruises to Cuba?

It seems the Obama administration is looking to relax the travel ban to Cuba.

We have seen these threads before, but I think we are closer than ever before to restoring cruises to that destination.

I for one would book a cruise that called in Cuba.

Any other views?

Fingers crossed and I so hope to one day be able to cruise to Cuba. We will try hard to be on one of the earliest HAL ships to call there.

See you on board! DH wants to see Cuba as soon as possible before the influx of US tourists lead to too much change. I think he has visions of Cuban versions of Diamonds International and the other "cruise port" shops spoiling the atmosphere.

K

It seems the Obama administration is looking to relax the travel ban to Cuba.

We have seen these threads before, but I think we are closer than ever before to restoring cruises to that destination.

I for one would book a cruise that called in Cuba.

Any other views?

If we aren't having any health problems when we are finally allowed to cruise to Cuba -- YUP -- we will book it!!

Many groups in U.S. provide perfectly legal ways for us to visit Cuba. Our congregation sponsored an 'approved' trip last year that I briefly looked at. We want to sail there and hope we live long enough to be able to do so. :)

I have a feeling that all the major cruise lines already have plans to port in Cuba. All they'll need is the OK from the State Department, as well as from the Cuban government, and they'll be good to go.

I would put down a deposit today!

Last time we went to an all inclusive in Veradaro, we took the bus to Havana on our own. We pre-arranged an Casa Particular via the web prior to going. So we had 1 1/2 days in Havana. It was a break from the all inclusive. The food is nothing to write home about but everything else was very good. We want to go to Santa Clara next time.

The Fred.Olsen cruise line (Norwegian) sails to Cuba. We have American friends who sailed there out of Montego Bay.

good thing they didn't get caught. i'm surprised fred olsen them them board, since americans are not allowed to visit cuba except until certain circumstances.

We saw quite a few Americans in Cuba. One couple told me they visit regularly (not sure how). Another in Veradaro said that they were on a 'cultural/educational' exchange...followed by lots of nods and winks. I know nothing about this but I had the impression that lots of Americans go to Cuba on these 'sanctioned' tours. There must be lots of them because the stats show that Americans are the second largest visitors to Cuba after Canadians.

good thing they didn't get caught. i'm surprised fred olsen them them board, since americans are not allowed to visit cuba except until certain circumstances.

I undertand that Cuban Custom agents are careful not to stamp American passports. Americans take charter flights out of Nassau and Jamaica pretty regularly.

I can see no reason we are continuing the policy prohibiting access. I guess the Bacardi family just donates too much money to congress.

I'm no expert, but I'm acquainted with a few political animal careerists who could pass as one. They say it's Florida (not Bacardi). As long as Florida remains a swing state, no first-term President hoping for a second term will make significant changes in the relationship. (The current occupant, however, is highly likely to do so, should he be re-elected.)

I'm no expert, but I'm acquainted with a few political animal careerists who could pass as one. They say it's Florida (not Bacardi). As long as Florida remains a swing state, no first-term President hoping for a second term will make significant changes in the relationship. (The current occupant, however, is highly likely to do so, should he be re-elected.)

I agree. I posted earlier that the cruise lines were probably ready but wasn't thinking about the political ramifications in the U.S. Yes, if the current president is re-elected, we can look forward to opening Cuba after the 2012 election. It also wouldn't hurt if the Castro brothers were no longer in power.

I undertand that Cuban Custom agents are careful not to stamp American passports. Americans take charter flights out of Nassau and Jamaica pretty regularly.

They do not stamp anyone's passport. The tour company provides your Visa which you fill out on the plane. This is stamped upon entry and taken from you and stamped when you exit. A lot of Americans just fly to Toronto and take a package tour out of there.

There is a departure fee which must be paid in cash at the airport when you leave. I forget exactly what it was---25 Convertable Pesos comes to mind. (tourist pesos). Your credit card must not be tied to an American bank. It is best to have Canadian dollars to change into CP's because, although they will accept American dollars, they charge a prohibitive rate of exchange to discourage their use.

Another curious thing they do on the plane is that just before you land the attendants have to walk along the aisle and spray the floor to prevent insects from being brought in.

Just recently the Cuban gov't started requiring travellers to provide proof of medical insurance before they would allow you in. From what I hear this is enforced sometimes and sometimes they don't ask.

We can't fly directly to the States from where I live but by golly we can get a direct charter flight to Cuba from Saint John. Go figure.:confused:

In January/February on the Maasdam cruise, we were in port many days with a Thomson ship (British, I believe). We met many pax at various beaches in Tortola, Barbados, Curacao, Aruba....who were on the Thomson ship that emarked & disembarked pax in Cuba, Barbados and Jamaica...pax could do various legs of the cruise, as I recall.

Long story short, most didn't find anything enjoyable in Cuba....

I'm eager for US citizens to be able to visit Cuba and envious of our Canadian friends who travel there often.

The local newspapers have had articles recently about ferries that will run from Tampa to Cuba. Evidently, they are beyond the planning stage.

Question: If you sail on Fred Olsen and you are a US citizen, are you allowed to get off the ship in Cuba?

Ricki

Where is the Diamonds International in Havana? I'm sure they have one if ships are calling there.

That's the beauty of Havana---no Diamonds International or stores of that nature. I was surprised to see a Paul and Shark store there though.

I'm eager for US citizens to be able to visit Cuba and envious of our Canadian friends who travel there often.

The local newspapers have had articles recently about ferries that will run from Tampa to Cuba. Evidently, they are beyond the planning stage.

Question: If you sail on Fred Olsen and you are a US citizen, are you allowed to get off the ship in Cuba?

Ricki

It is the US government that does not want you there. I did not encounter any Americans there myself but our Havana tour guide said that there are many Americans on the tours that he picks up at the various resorts. From the Varadero resort area it is easy to pick up a day trip into Havana.

I am a dual US/Canadian citizen and my US birth is noted on my passport. Nothing was said about it.

Archived