Cruises to Cuba?

Thanks for answering, Randy.

I remember when my brother was separated from the Navy, there was a list of countries that he was not allowed to visit for a set number of years. I fully understand government restrictions being stricter for certain individuals than for the general public.

Some one of the posts above made reference to China. I was in China twenty years ago.

It was after the riots in Tianamen Square 22 years ago. The tension even after a couple of years could still be felt. This would be true everywhere I went except Shanghi. I really have no desire to ever go back.

Thanks for answering, Randy.

I remember when my brother was separated from the Navy, there was a list of countries that he was not allowed to visit for a set number of years. I fully understand government restrictions being stricter for certain individuals than for the general public.

My father was an Air Force officer in charge of nuclear weapons. He was banned for life from visiting a list of countries so I know what you mean.

Some one of the posts above made reference to China. I was in China twenty years ago.

It was after the riots in Tianamen Square 22 years ago. The tension even after a couple of years could still be felt. This would be true everywhere I went except Shanghi. I really have no desire to ever go back.

I understand. Two friends were IN Tiananmen Square when the shooting started. One has never fully recovered, physically or mentally.

We were there again end of Feburary, 5 star resort. butlers and all

when the uprising started in Libya.

We said to ourselves what would we do if that happened here. or a tsunami as there was no high ground what so ever in varadero.

Cuba is pretty broke right now, thats why there is more rationing for the people, and they do not make enough to buy the soap or toothpaste cause they make about 30 cuc a month, but a lot more with the tips. but tootpaste is still 2 or 3 cuc a tube, little tube of pringles chips 4 or 5 cuc which is almost a weeks salary,

There is a huge black market in real good cigars, (cohiba montecristo) not the banana leave ones you could find on the beach but you need the hologram seal if they are checked, (ours came with the seal too) which they hardly check anyways. you are allowed to export 50 cigars per person, some take more and get through, but if you are caught they will confiscate them, thats all.

Their healthcare is slowly taking a dive, as now you see more and more with missing teeth, compared to before. in the high end resorts like Paradisus and Sandals. I guess they still do fillings, but if you have a bad tooth they just pull it out.

They are allowed to use internet, but its is very very slow, and they make it expensive for them too, so not many use it unless they work in a resort, they can get on now and then. but they all have cell phones for use on the island.

they will def be changing things there, as it cannot keep going on as it is now.

But the people are the friendliest I have ever met, in any carib island, and Ive been to a lot of them.

The bottom line is that this is all about Florida politics and both parties are scared to death of losing the Cuban-American vote. On our last cruise we made friends with a young (35ish) couple from Miami of Cuban heriitage, only his grandparents have ever even been to Cuba. Discussed all this openly and he said all the young/middle age people like him are disgusted with the US policy toward Cuba; it long ago ceased making sense for either country. They all want trade and tourism with Cuba which would benefit both countries, especially the Cuban people. Castro has been no threat to the US for a long time and it is time to move on, but politicians don't have the guts to say so.

\

Correction: This is a U.S. policy, promulgated by our U.S. Congress at the very strong pushing of the older Miami Cuban-Americans. It is not a state policy, but it certainly is pushed by southern Florida.

\

Correction: This is a U.S. policy, promulgated by our U.S. Congress at the very strong pushing of the older Miami Cuban-Americans. It is not a state policy, but it certainly is pushed by southern Florida.

No correction needed. That's exactly what I meant. Trade/tourism policies with other countries are instituted by Congress. Neither political party wants to alienate the Cuban-American vote, mainly in FL. They are protecting not only their state elected Representatives and Senators from a C-Am backlash, but Presidential candidates in national elections. FL is always an important swing state in national elections and the C-Am vote might swing the state against the party in Congress that pushes changing the US policy to allowing trade with Cuba.

Apparently is has been provided free for 50 years because of the embargo and now they feel that people can afford it.

My understanding is that soap is not an item that can be purchased. It is greatly desired, but even those who are able to visit cannot bring it to friends and relatives. Unless things have changed in the last few months (and I hope it has) I don't understand the policy.

No correction needed. That's exactly what I meant. Trade/tourism policies with other countries are instituted by Congress. Neither political party wants to alienate the Cuban-American vote, mainly in FL. They are protecting not only their state elected Representatives and Senators from a C-Am backlash, but Presidential candidates in national elections. FL is always an important swing state in national elections and the C-Am vote might swing the state against the party in Congress that pushes changing the US policy to allowing trade with Cuba.

Just wanted it clear that not everyone in Florida agrees with that policy! I think, in fact, that agreement with that embargo is in the minority. At least I hope that it is!

My understanding is that soap is not an item that can be purchased. It is greatly desired, but even those who are able to visit cannot bring it to friends and relatives. Unless things have changed in the last few months (and I hope it has) I don't understand the policy.

Almost anything can be purchased, but it is too expensive for the amount they make. I always bring a suitcase full of stuff like this, from the dollar store here & games, (battle ships lol, checkers, chess, cheap stuff but they love it) old running shoes, tshirts, they really love baseball caps, they love anything you can bring, and always leave whatever we brought for us to the maids.

the maids must have a lot of this stuff, ex bug spray, beauty products, soap, toothpaste, creams, perfumes ect. as I am sure a lot do the same. they must resell it, or trade for other items.

I read today that Reposol (sp), the Spanish oil company, is currently drilling off Cuba. There is a belief that there are significant oil deposits below the sea. Total tried some time ago but could not come to an agreement on the 'split'. Time will tell.

If there are large deposits, it will be a game changer from Cuba and for US Cuab relations.

It would be great to be able to visit this country, but I doubt that they will have the infrastructure to be able to handle the thousands of people that would be coming in from the ships.

I am a US Citizen who has lived in China for several decades.

The Chinese have always welcomed me with open arms - despite the fact that the USA STILL has Nuclear Ballistic Missiles aimed at them - far less than 90 miles from their borders.

I visit Cuba regularly and always have wonderful vacations there. They are a very warm and genuine people. They don't seem to mind the US Nuclear Ballistic missiles aimed at them from 90 miles away.

I work part of the year in Viet Nam; whose citizens have forgiven the American Weapons of Mass Destruction used against them.

On the very rare occasions when I visit the USA I am treated like a criminal and made to feel most unwelcome - like most "foreigners" who visit there. The US Government is quite happy to try to tax my "foreign" income, however. Somebody other than me is going to have to finance all those WMDs.

I spent 4 months in Cuba back in the 90's, but they would not let us leave the base. We did get to look at real Cuban soliders and the occasional Cuban deer that wandered into the mine field. They did not look too nice sometimes depending on where they stepped.

On the very rare occasions when I visit the USA I am treated like a criminal and made to feel most unwelcome - like most "foreigners" who visit there. The US Government is quite happy to try to tax my "foreign" income, however. Somebody other than me is going to have to finance all those WMDs.

perhaps it is your attitude when you come through customs/immigration. i've never had a problem.

i suppose you could renounce your US citizenship - if china would have you.

perhaps it is your attitude when you come through customs/immigration. i've never had a problem.

i suppose you could renounce your US citizenship - if china would have you.

I never take the chance to exhibit any attitude of any kind when going through US Customs.

I always wear a suit and am extremely polite while being fingerprinted and photographed.

When leaving my ship in a US Port I am required to carry a foreign visa. And when I leave the ship for holiday I am required to leave the USA within 24 hours - even though I was born and raised in the USA. I have never been accused or arrested for anything. Not even a traffic ticket.

US Immigration has informed me that even though I am a US Citizen, I no longer live there, so I will be treated like a foreigner.

Reminds me of Germany in WWII.

As often as I have gone through customs/immigration procedures, I cannot say as I have ever gotten used to it. :eek:

That is one of the really nice thing about cruises, you just sort of get off the ship. Its almost magic.:)

Smooth sailing...

Archived