Celebrity Complaints

ledodeck01

No need to start by writing to the President and CEO. Just address your letter to Customer Services being factual and balanced. Do not expect a rapid reply because they will investigate the issue thoroughly before getting back to you and this can take some time when a ship is at sea. We have always found that any complaints have been handled correctly and professionally.

Sue

No need to start by writing to the President and CEO. Just address your letter to Customer Services being factual and balanced. Do not expect a rapid reply because they will investigate the issue thoroughly before getting back to you and this can take some time when a ship is at sea. We have always found that any complaints have been handled correctly and professionally.

Sue

Good advice. If you are on the ship speak to the person in charge of the department. For example:Cabin problem speak to the Head Housekeeper; Restaurant problem speak to the Restaurant Manager. Be sure to say something, don't just walk away saying nothing and then writing to the President of the company. Give people an opportunity to correct a situation. They've always gone the extra mile to remedy problems I've reported.

Sent letter to

Daniel J. Hanrahan

President & CEO, Celebrity Cruises

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, Fl 33132

I received a telephone call back from someone saying they were from his office. They addressed all the issues in my letter

Sending letters to Presidents of Companies is all too common in any industry. I wish I had a dime for every time one of my customers has sent a letter to the home office complaining about something that as a manager I could have taken care of without batting an eye. The first question our customer service dept asks is "Did you ask to speak to the Manager". 9 times out of 10 they say no which invalidates the complaint. If you have a complaint and you are not satisfied don't accept the answer of the first person you speak with. Most of the time, this person is not authorized to accommodate you. I am not saying that you didn't follow up on board but I am just giving my advice as a general rule that applies if you are on a cruise ship or in a department store.

Anyone ever complained to Celebrity- Did you get a response. Where is the best place to send a letter. Thanks

No response. The only complaint that I have regarding Celebrity (and Azamara) is the pre-cruise Customer Service.

What is your issue?

Good advice. If you are on the ship speak to the person in charge of the department. For example:Cabin problem speak to the Head Housekeeper; Restaurant problem speak to the Restaurant Manager. Be sure to say something, don't just walk away saying nothing and then writing to the President of the company. Give people an opportunity to correct a situation. They've always gone the extra mile to remedy problems I've reported.

Good point. I should, of course, have mentioned that all issues should be addressed at the time to the appropriate people on board. You must give them the opportunity to correct a problem at the time first. Only if that fails, should you write with a complaint on your return.

Sue

Just a suggestion...start by calling customer service. If you find your complaint is falling on deaf ears and you're getting nowhere fast (as may very well be the case), ask to be transferred to someone in the problem resolutions department. Make sure you keep a record of the date/time you call and the name of everyone and his/her department with whom you speak. If you aren't successful being elevated through the normal channels, address a letter to Mr. Hanrahan including your complaint in very specific terms, everyone with whom you've spoken to date and how they failed to assist you. Be firm but respectful and include exactly what you expect X to do to make things right.

I wrote directly to Dan as I wanted him to know how much we enjoyed our first Celebrity experience. I did mention one small disappointment which could not have been resolved on the cruise as it was the last day. I got a call from his office within about a week thanking me for writing. Now I'm just trying to decide on our next Celebrity cruise... :D

One could also write to tell of the wonderful service they received. Be sure to mention specific names and positions of people who made your cruise memorable. I do this following each cruise and always receive a nice response from Celebrity. A number of people I've mentioned have been promoted. Not suggesting a cause-effect relationship, but good words don't hurt.

In the Navy we were taught to correct a problem at the lowest level that it can be fixed. If it a waiter, talk to the Assistant Maitre D', Bar server, Head Bartender, if they can't or won't continue up the "Chain of Command" (COC) til it gets fixed. We never wanted to get the officers involved. They normally overreact.

There is an Attention to Detail (ATD) card available at Guest Relation or thru your Cabin Attendant. The ATD is a great way to let the Hotel Director know how you feel. 95% of problems can be solved before an ATD is required. ATDs can also convey a suggestion.

IMO the most important use of the ATD is to praise. If someone has gone above and beyond for you, submit and ATD explaining what they did ASAP after the deed. This gets into their file and after enough they get extra time off and other rewards. The ATD gets sent down the COC to the person and he knows submitted. They will appreciate it and act accordingly, plus word will get out that you appreciate good service, your stock will go up among the staff and crew. ~ Ric

One could also write to tell of the wonderful service they received. Be sure to mention specific names and positions of people who made your cruise memorable. I do this following each cruise and always receive a nice response from Celebrity. A number of people I've mentioned have been promoted. Not suggesting a cause-effect relationship, but good words don't hurt.

I also do this and when we saw one of our previous waiters who we had high praise for he told us a copy of the letter was put in his personnel file.

Just a suggestion...start by calling customer service. If you find your complaint is falling on deaf ears and you're getting nowhere fast (as may very well be the case), ask to be transferred to someone in the problem resolutions department. Make sure you keep a record of the date/time you call and the name of everyone and his/her department with whom you speak. If you aren't successful being elevated through the normal channels, address a letter to Mr. Hanrahan including your complaint in very specific terms, everyone with whom you've spoken to date and how they failed to assist you. Be firm but respectful and include exactly what you expect X to do to make things right.

Totally agree with this. In most cases, I see no reason to write the President of the company when first dealing with your issue. There are many other supervisory levels (as mentioned in Lysolqn's excellent post) who should be able to resolve customer related issues via a phone call. If they cannot resolve the matter, then you always have the option of sending a letter to Mr Hanrahan's office.

I'd like to stress the part about being kind to the person on the phone. Keep in mind, the person you are speaking with, is not the person who created the problem. From my 30+ years of being a Branch Manager and dealing with Customer related issues... you will achieve far better resolution with kindness and respect.

To the OP, good luck in resolving your issue.

Totally agree with this. In most cases, I see no reason to write the President of the company when first dealing with your issue. There are many other supervisory levels (as mentioned in Lysolqn's excellent post) who should be able to resolve customer related issues via a phone call. If they cannot resolve the matter, then you always have the option of sending a letter to Mr Hanrahan's office.

I'd like to stress the part about being kind to the person on the phone. Keep in mind, the person you are speaking with, is not the person who created the problem. From my 30+ years of being a Branch Manager and dealing with Customer related issues... you will achieve far better resolution with kindness and respect.

To the OP, good luck in resolving your issue.

It's been my experience, especially with respect to complaints, that if you start at the top and fail, you've used up all your options and have nowhere left to go. Whereas if you start with customer relations and request to be elevated each step along the way if necessary, you are more likely to find a sympathetic ear and someone who is willing to help or at least direct you to someone who can offer assistance. I have to agree with Orator; being complimentary and mentioning the good along with the not so good is a good way to make sure you and your complaint are being taken seriously. Kindness, respect and remaining calm can be the make or break between a satisfactory resolution to the problem or simply being told, "Thanks for you call and have a nice day."

Andy, as a Customer Service Representative for an online retailer, I thank you for your comments! Allow me to offer my observations--

It's human nature to react negatively when attacked, even when we know the attack is against our company, and not us, personally. I'm not intimidated by someone screaming and swearing at me. I'll do what I can to resolve their issue, but I'm not about to offer rush delivery to replace the incorrect item they received when standard shipping will do. For customers who are polite and pleasant, I will do everything I can to make things better. I'll be more inclined to offer things for their inconvenience, even when the customer is at fault, in an effort to keep that customer.

If someone's abusive enough, we will stop doing business with them. It's not just the costs of trying to placate them with rush delivery or a courtesy discount on their next order. People who abuse CSRs cost the company money in other indirect ways. Many new employees quit after having to deal with some of these inconsiderate oafs, wasting the cost of training those people. This lowers the talent pool the company has to draw from, thus forcing them to pay higher wages to attract competent CSRs.

Customers whose first words are "I want to speak to a supervisor" when it turns out their problem could have been easily solved by me will tend to get less service, as well. Supervisors are busy handling the real snafus, will naturally be irritated with having to deal with Mr. Squeaky Wheel, and will tend to be more hard-nosed about offering special treatment.

At our company, letters to the president are opened by an assistant who routes them to the top level department that would handle the complaint. That manager then reviews it and typically routes it to a supervisor. It's not that the president or manager would not love to handle every customer's problem personally, but he or she just does not have the time. That's why we have a customer service department. Please give us a chance to do our jobs!

Archived