Is the patch worth it??

QLUVS2CRUZ

I just happened to be at the doctor's office and mentioned our upcoming cruise, and she asked me if I wanted an Rx for the patch. I told her I hadn't used it before, but I'd go ahead and take the Rx. Turns out my insurance won't pay for it, and it's pretty expensive out of pocket.

Then I did a search on CC for opinions on it, and I didn't get much, but it seems responses were negative (weird side effects, withdrawal symptoms, etc.). However, it seems every cruise I'm on, A LOT of people have the patch...so someone must like it!

What's your opinion? Is the patch worth a try? Or should I stick to the pills?

Im one that thinks it works great .. though Iv only had occassion to wear it a couple of times. I only need it in really big seas .. I have a couple more in the box of six from 2006 to use... I think there were 6, maybe more in there.

Each one lasts 3 days. No bad effects there that I noticed, but I only put it in when Im starting to feel seasick and it cures me immediately.

Where do you get the ginger and can you take it just if you feel sick? I know the downside to some of the pills is you have to keep taking them all week, just in case...but it would be nice to not have to worry about that.

People swear by them. They are nonprescription, you can get them at your local CVS or Rite-Aid. You wear them on your wrists with the ball in a certain spot. No side effects, my friends found them very effective. I'm lucky, don't get seasick - scared in high seas maybe, but not sick.

I've used them and I'm really grateful that i had them. They do make you feel a little loopy, but that feeling does wear off. On a 7 day cruise I use 2 patches. I do get cottonmouth, but that is easily remedied, just drink plenty of fluids like DOD, water, DOD, water, etc.... You should be fine. Hope this helps in what you are looking for.

If you are prone/likely to get seasick, the TransDerm-Scop patch is the stuff, period. If you get blurry eyed or really bad cotton mouth during its use you can actually remove it during the night(save the part you pealed off) and replace it in the AM...

Where do you get the ginger and can you take it just if you feel sick? I know the downside to some of the pills is you have to keep taking them all week, just in case...but it would be nice to not have to worry about that.

Iv tried all the sesick pills and there isnt a one I take "just in case". Iv found that they work very fast, so there is no reason to take one unless you feel seasick and need it.

My favorite is the tube of chewable Bonine, that lasts 24 hours.

some of the draminine pills only last 4 hours beware.. those you would wind up taking all the time. read the label.

I get sea sick but I don't like to take meds. I've been cruising since 2001 and I use wrist bands. They work for me EVERY cruise - I have never had a problem. The patches are expensive the bands are $6/pair. Stay away from the drowsy options. That's by opinion:)

We ordered ours online from http://www.puritan.com/ They were cheap, no side affects and worked great and havent had any sea sickness problems yet.

I get horribly motion sick just watching someone sway back and forth. I was miserable with just Bonine (non stop!) my first cruise and got the patch for my 2nd. I won't leave home without it. I had no adverse effects at all. The only issue I had was the 2nd day I started feeling seasick and couldn't figure out why. Reached behind my ear and realized it had fallen off. They are supposed to stay on for swimming and shower but it didn't. I ended up getting some waterproof medical tape in port and taped it on the rest of the week.

I have tried the seabands and the ginger and it has no effect on me. Everyone is different so you just have to see what works best for you. Without the patch my cruising days would have been over with that first trip. Now I can't wait to get back on a ship! I figure they are just part of my "cruise fare" and will pay whatever I have to.

I just happened to be at the doctor's office and mentioned our upcoming cruise, and she asked me if I wanted an Rx for the patch. I told her I hadn't used it before, but I'd go ahead and take the Rx. Turns out my insurance won't pay for it, and it's pretty expensive out of pocket.

Then I did a search on CC for opinions on it, and I didn't get much, but it seems responses were negative (weird side effects, withdrawal symptoms, etc.). However, it seems every cruise I'm on, A LOT of people have the patch...so someone must like it!

What's your opinion? Is the patch worth a try? Or should I stick to the pills?

I always have them with me and sometimes use them. Usually Bonine is enough, but there have been times when I have been in 20 foot seas and the patch came in really handy.

Never had any side effects other than a bit of a dry mouth. If you drink a lot of water most of the side effects go away because they are related to being "too dry".

I like them as well. You can tell the pharmacist that you only want two or three. They can split the box up. I put one on the first night of the cruise and replace it half way thru. Never had any problems. If you have negative side effects, you can always take it off.

On my first 2 cruises I was sea sick bad ,I took the pills given by guest services, I slept most of the cruise:(. Second cruise I tried the patch, slept alot again ,dizzy and cotton mouthed. Our last cruise I saw tons of information on here and decided to give Bonine a try. I swear by it now, I only took it for the first three days and the last night was rough( we were on the 8th floor,just past mid ship and our balcony was soaked).

I made sure to take it before bed time just in case it made me a wee bit tired, why not sleep through the worst of it.

Thanks to CC for the wonderful advise, my last cruise was a make it or break it if I ever went on another one.

I also carried ginger gum with me, if I felt a little sick I would just pop some in. :rolleyes: I found the ginger gum worked quickly.

I will make sure to have some with me for all my cruises and will not leave home without it!

Hope you find something that works for you!

Is the patch worth it??

As one who has suffered from motion sickness since early childhood I believe I'd saw off my arm with a blunt rusty blade if it would stop seasickness !!

I carry the patch as a last ditch defence but usually Bonine or similar do the job and I do get used to any motion OK after a day or so.

P.S. You can mail order the patch out of Canada, it's OTC there.

I HATE the patch!!! It dialated my eyes, gave me a dry mouth, and I just felt terrible. Plus the site where the patch was started to hurt.

I take Bonine twice a day. Once in the morning, and one before dinner.....no problems.

I have gotten motion sick since I was a baby.....with nothing that worked for me.....until the meclazine (Bonine) tablets came on the market. Now look how many cruises I've taken because of Bonine. I take them even on port days because many of our excursions are in buses, or cabs, or catamarans.

You just have to try and see what works best for you.

I have a very bad motion sickness problem. I was riding with my husband in the Jeep on Saturday and in less than a mile I was sick.

My first two cruises I relied on Dramamine and still got sick - and of course I was stupid sleepy.

This last cruise I used the patch and was THRILLED with it! I was able to fly, ride the shuttle to the ship, ride the ship, ride the taxis, ride the train and so on and had no sickness and no sleepiness. I put it on Sat night before I went to bed - 24 hours before our sailing, based on the advice I got here.

I did have dry mouth (isn't that what Carnival Cosmos are for???) and my pupils were large. I'll take those two anyday over being sea sick!!

But......last week I had a trip that going to involve riding with two different drivers, catching a bus to a boat and then flying back home. So I decided to put on the patch. And I did it the day before my road trip. I started getting thirsty very quickly. By the next morning I was so nauseous that we stopped 3 miles from the house for me to vomit. I ripped off the patch and was feeling better within 30 minutes. Of course now I am terrified if I can sail with it and not have these effects next time......

You just have to try and see what works best for you.

this is a very true statement. it's so individual. Ginger gave me KILLER heartburn - just unbearable. The wrist bands were useless.

I couldn't decide on the patch because I heard of all those horror stories. My hubby said - well what is worse than being sea sick?

So I decided he was right. And...that was true for my cruise like I said. But for the trip last week, the effects of the patch were seasick-like.

I get sea sick but I don't like to take meds. I've been cruising since 2001 and I use wrist bands. They work for me EVERY cruise - I have never had a problem. The patches are expensive the bands are $6/pair. Stay away from the drowsy options. That's by opinion:)

What makes the bands work? Do they have some type of medicine?

What makes the bands work? Do they have some type of medicine?

No. They're psychosomatic. They make you think they'll make you feel better, so your mind tells you that you will. Best advice is to bring chewable Bonine (non-drowsy Dramamine) and only use it if you need it. On all my cruises, I have only felt sea sick on one day. The ship was really rocking. I took one and felt 100% better in 5 minutes. Patches and pre-medicating with pills for the entire trip is not worth the side effects.

Archived