Is the patch worth it??

QLUVS2CRUZ

Makes me feel looped and cotton mouth but everyone is different

!!!!YES!

I don't like the patch at all.....

Bonine is wonderful!! It worked for me in 24 foot seas. I don't travel without it. I also experience not one side effect from it.

The patches have side effects and the side effects multiply if you drink any alcohol.

I recently had surgery...I get really sick from anesthesia, so they put stuff in my IV to help with that AND gave me a patch...they said that they found it works for nausea from general anesthesia as well as motion sickness. (who knew??)

So, I had that patch on and didn't get nauseous (which was lovely) BUT the patch dried my mouth SO bad...I was coughing up a storm and just felt crappy...I was supposed to keep it on for 72 hours, but pulled it off after 24.

The one and only time I used one when cruising (I was young...) I was drinking with it on.

NOT GOOD

My vision was affected.

...again, Bonine is great :)

I'm an RN and I LOVE the patch. My whole family has used them and for us we have had NO side effects. My adult daughter gets very motion sick and I don't think she could cruise otherwise. They are a little pricey but imho worth every penny.

I have used the patch and do have the dry mouth, large pupils and ect..

The biggest problem for me is that I always have a allergic recation to the tape on the patch and after a few hours it starts to itch and then will fall off.

Drives me nuts and I end up just removing it because of the itching.:(

The patch does work to prevent seasickness tho.:)

I LOVE the patch. My whole family has used them and for us we have had NO side effects. My adult daughter gets very motion sick and I don't think she could cruise otherwise. They are a little pricey but imho worth every penny.

Same here!:)

Bonine, ginger, and wrist bands did NOTHING for me. (I'm the only one who gets motion sickness.) Everyone is different I guess. Yes, there are side effects (dry mouth, I drink water, and mild blurry vision only when I'm trying to read...my glasses are for that.) Otherwise, they work wonders! I feel the rocking motion of the ship, but DON'T feel sick to my stomach thank goodness. They work! IMHO, they're worth the prescription cost. Good luck with what you decide!:)

We have never seen any need to use any sea sick meds. However my wife did try to use the patch twice. Both times she ended up with a sore neck are a few hours. She tried it once on one side and once on the other. It was worse for her to use them.

DW took Transderm-V patch and thougt it was GREAT. I don't get seasick so didn't need it.

Not so expensive. $15 CDN. for a box of 2. Perfect for a 1 week cruise.

She had no side effects.

Is the patch worth it??

As one who has suffered from motion sickness since early childhood I believe I'd saw off my arm with a blunt rusty blade if it would stop seasickness !!

P.S. You can mail order the patch out of Canada, it's OTC there.

Not in Quebec. You need Rx for it here.

My husband and kids use half a patch, and it works just as well with none of the usual side effects.

Instructions on box say not to cut in half. Don't know if this is just to sell more.

Personally I couldn't use the rubber band because I know the effect is psychosomatic.:DGlad you don't know this.

The patched worked great while on the ship.. no side effects. UNTIL I took it off when we got home. I have never been soooo sick in my life. My doctor said he had never seen someone react so badly to them. It was like withdraws ... he said I looked like someone coming off of illegal drugs.

Off work another week trying to just function.

I know everyone reacts differently to everything , but for me. Never again, I'll take my chances on just motion sickness. Will have to be 200% better than the last time.

Best wishes and hope you have a great cruise.

Where can you buy Bonine? Is it over the counter?

Yes, you can find it where you would find Dramamine at any pharmacy :)

You should never cut the patch in half!!!! In fact, after the surgery, they instructed me to NOT touch the darn thing and if I did, to wash my hands immediately. They told me to use a tissue when removing it and to wash hands immediately...The nurse put it on me, using rubber gloves.

:rolleyes:

Bonine is just less scary imo.

i have used the patch, and would not go on a cruise again without the patch,however having said that. let me explain. i keep the patch in case of an emergency ex: on the ryndam last december, when the weather was so bad, and the ship actually tilted, and they really had barf bags by the elevator, i took the patch, and only got sick one morning, before the patch was on. everyone was in their cabins getting really sick, and i never missed a meal. on the other hand i usually take a bonine before dinner every night.l i sleep like a baby, and i never get sick, and i'm really pron to motion sickness. this is me after 31 cruises...

The seabands are like a somewhat tight bracelet. They work by taking advantage of our bodies natural pressure points. anyone who has ever had a real massage knows this is not 'all in your head'. Now, of course no one thing works for everyone-but I am of the mindset that I dont want to take drugs if i dont need to. So, I use the seabands and thy work for me. I would try them and if you still start to feel sick, take a pill. I would try and have 1 patch available just in case all else fails.

Hmmm...well some varied opinions here!!! I am not prone to sea sickness other than when there are very rough seas...so I'm thinking I may stick with bonine. It sounds like I can take bonine when I need it and not have to take a pill everyday to make sure it's in my system, in the event of strong seas. I may also see if I can try the ginger gum.

Thanks everyone for replying!

Im one that thinks it works great .. though Iv only had occassion to wear it a couple of times. I only need it in really big seas .. I have a couple more in the box of six from 2006 to use... I think there were 6, maybe more in there.

Each one lasts 3 days. No bad effects there that I noticed, but I only put it in when Im starting to feel seasick and it cures me immediately.

You say you have some left from 2006. Are they expired? Have you ever used expired ones before? I can't wear a whole one. They make me sleep. I actually was snoring in the showroom once. After that I started cutting it in half. I'm thinking my expired ones might be less potent since the are old. We are cruising next week and I want to take them if they will still work. Do you know if old ones work?

i have used the patch, and would not go on a cruise again without the patch,however having said that. let me explain. i keep the patch in case of an emergency ex: on the ryndam last december, when the weather was so bad, and the ship actually tilted, and they really had barf bags by the elevator, i took the patch, and only got sick one morning, before the patch was on. everyone was in their cabins getting really sick, and i never missed a meal. on the other hand i usually take a bonine before dinner every night.l i sleep like a baby, and i never get sick, and i'm really pron to motion sickness. this is me after 31 cruises...

did you wait until you felt sick then take it or did you take it because the seas were rough, i was wondering if it would work after you feel sick already.

I've used the patch. It worked BUT it made me somewhat groggy and one day I made the mistake of drinking alcohol while wearing the patch and my vision went light, bright, and blurry... no fun. I also don't like having to wear it for 3 days straight. I like to wash behind my ears and once you remove it to shower it doesn't always stick well when you put it back on. Plus, my skin got a little itchy where the patch was applied. Nothing permanent, though.

Dramamine works, but it made my sleepy. I need to try Bonine.

This cruise I'm sticking with the SeaBands. I've heard they work and I picked them up for like $6 at Target. I know they won't make me sleepy. Yes, I may look like an '80s aerobics queen with bands on both wrists, but at least I'll be able to walk straight and smell food without feeling sick.

P.S.

I don't always get seasick. I've only had one bad cruise out of three... and it wasn't too bad, it just left me a bit uneasy.

I just happened to be at the doctor's office and mentioned our upcoming cruise, and she asked me if I wanted an Rx for the patch. I told her I hadn't used it before, but I'd go ahead and take the Rx. Turns out my insurance won't pay for it, and it's pretty expensive out of pocket.

Then I did a search on CC for opinions on it, and I didn't get much, but it seems responses were negative (weird side effects, withdrawal symptoms, etc.). However, it seems every cruise I'm on, A LOT of people have the patch...so someone must like it!

What's your opinion? Is the patch worth a try? Or should I stick to the pills?

I do not use them as I do not get sea sick but my wife swears by them.

DON

Where can you buy Bonine? Is it over the counter?

Non-drowsy Dramamine and Bonine are one in the same.. Just look for Non-drowsy Dramamine, chewable. I didn't take it until I felt sick and took it and was 100% better in less than 10 minutes. It's good stuff.

Have you tried the sea bands? http://www.sea-band.com/

I haven't because I don't like to wear any kind of bracelet, arm bands (there are a lot of those rubber type armbands floating around a lot of people wear)...so I don't think it would be the best idea for me.

I bought the Bonine...but here's hoping I don't even get seasick!

• 2 weeks later...
DW took Transderm-V patch and thougt it was GREAT. I don't get seasick so didn't need it.

Not so expensive. $15 CDN. for a box of 2. Perfect for a 1 week cruise.

She had no side effects.

Not in Quebec. You need Rx for it here.

I know this thread has been inactive for a while but I just realized that I was wrong.

You do not need a Rx for Transderm patch here in Quebec and in other parts of Canada .We got a perscription so that it would be paid for by insurance.

I was wearing the patch for years everytime I cruised or flew and it worked great for me. However I wore it this year after a flight and land based vacation (for the scary taxi rides, the flight, and just because I get sick swimming or snorkeling in the ocean if I don't have it) and when I took it off I had some sort of a withdrawl for days. I had a problem balancing and was extremely nauseous. I still have some that I will take with me just in case, but next time I am going to try some pills first.

Archived