Back from Alaska on Regatta???

loum140

I was really anxious to hear about the ports, the tours and especially the weather, both on board and ashore. We sail in just a few weeks but are also doing a pre and post cruise stay (Denali and Vancouver) so packing and portability are real issues. I'm really not sure what to take (lined hooded jacket or thin rain proof shell over fleece? Jeans, capris, shorts? Sneakers or leather hiking shoes?) I know about layering, but any first-hand experience from your sailing would be appreciated.

Thanks Marlene for that wonderful description of the Tracy Arm excursion. But I can't seem to find it anywhere in our package from Oceania. Was it from Juneau?

all the talk about layering is absolutely correct. one thing we did was to pack as if we were taking two trips. denali is TOTALLY informal, so we packed one suitcase for those five days and all the 'cruise clothes' in another case. in fact, when we left anchorage for denali, the second suitcase was stowed separately, so we never saw it until it was delivered to our cabin. the less to schlep the better....

one thing i will invest in for our next trip to alaska (this was our second, and there will be another some time hence) is a telephoto lens with image stabilization. while i have a 70-300mm zoom, it is very difficult to handle at 300mm while you're on the denali bus (or on a boat). almost as difficult when standing still on dry land. these lenses are expensive, but the results are well worth it.

The reason the summer sailings are doing better is that they were so heavily discounted with large onboard credits. That's not a business model Oceania wants to offer fleetwide and all over the world.

I have seen Caribbean and European cruises on Oceania with similar discounts, so how is that different?

I have seen Caribbean and European cruises on Oceania with similar discounts, so how is that different?

I'm sure that you knew the answer to this, even before you posted the question

The difference is that in the Caribbean and in Europe, other sailings on those same ships are still selling out (or close to it) without benefit of those discounts; giving the cruise line an opportunity to recoup some money

This is one of those situations where the economic realities make me unhappy, because I too would love to see more cruises out of San Francisco.

Unfortunately, because the modern cruiser is often loathe to repeat itineraries within a ten year period, and most of Oceania's core demographic has already "done" Alaska and the Mexican Riviera, Northern California is a very hard sell.

because I too would love to see more cruises out of San Francisco.

Unfortunately, because the modern cruiser is often loathe to repeat itineraries within a ten year period, and most of Oceania's core demographic has already "done" Alaska and the Mexican Riviera, Northern California is a very hard sell.

Oh, I don't buy that logic. Who amongst the Oceania's core hasn't "done" the Caribbean and the Med (over and over) and Oceania still goes there.

I think it has more to do with the competition to Alaska?

How about doing a San Francisco - Alaska - Vladivostok - Northern Japan, etc itinerary. I bet not many Oceania core cruisers have done that.

Oh, I don't buy that logic. Who amongst the Oceania's core hasn't "done" the Caribbean and the Med (over and over) and Oceania still goes there.

How about doing a San Francisco - Alaska - Vladivostok - Northern Japan, etc itinerary. I bet not many Oceania core cruisers have done that.

I have done that cruise on Princess for 19 days from Osaka to Vancouver before Oceania or even Ren was started..it was snowing every where we went (Dutch Harbor was a storm) but a great cruise..we leave for Alaska August 14 and cant wait..of course I cant wait for any cruise..LOL

Jancruz1

Paul-

Great minds indeed think alike. A San Francisco to Japan cruise (via the Aleutians) was one of my submissions in the "New Itinerary Contest".

Oceania opted to go with a most inventive (but all Alaska) route suggested by Hondorner. In fact, he just got back from that cruise.

As I understand it, the logistics of crossing the Pacific that far North would have made my suggestion a 5 week cruise which could not be attempted past a July sailing date.

Losing that many weeks of July and August would have cut out two, possibly three, "lucrative" all Alaska cruises, so my suggestion was rejected.

Ah well, maybe next time......:rolleyes:

Why not do a Canada /New England cruise in the spring before heading to

Europe:D

No hurricanes to worry about in the spring ;)

They could do the Panama, then a Caribbean cruise or 2 then head to Montreal for a couple of trips between NYC then across the pond

Lyn

Why not do a Canada /New England cruise in the spring before heading to

Europe:D

No hurricanes to worry about in the spring ;)

They could do the Panama, then a Caribbean cruise or 2 then head to Montreal for a couple of trips between NYC then across the pond

Lyn

Believe it or not they are doing it in September again on the new itins that will be out in the end of September!!

Jancruz1

Believe it or not they are doing it in September again on the new itins that will be out in the end of September!!

Jancruz1

Jan

I would rather go in May or June when the seas may be better & the weather

Sept you run the risk of storms going up the coast :eek:

Oh well i guess if I want to go in the spring I will have to resort to sailing on HAL:(

Lyn

Jancruz1

Are they changing the 2012 Itineraries or do you mean Sept 2013?

Lyn

Just back from the July 23 sailing. The weather was very lovely, but cold. We had amazingly sunny days while cruising the glaciers. The ports themselves were quite ordinary if one didn't take shore excursions.We saw amazing wildlife. The AnAn bear sanctuary was a highlight...so ,many black and brown bears. We did all excursions other than the ATV excursion in Sitka privately. I found them to be much more personal and far less expensive. Oceania excursion to AnAn approximately 600 per couple, they spent 45 minutes there. Private 350- we had a far longer visit. Michelle with Island winds WONDERFUL! Temsco helicopter, a real experience. All in all a terrific trip. The only downer for us was the quality of the spa on the Regatta. I had high expectations for massage, hair etc., but the quality was just not what I have experienced elsewhere.

We really loved the small ship, especially in Alaska. We used our balcony and would do it all again in a heartbeat!

Karen

Just back from the July 23 sailing. The weather was very lovely, but cold. We had amazingly sunny days while cruising the glaciers. The ports themselves were quite ordinary if one didn't take shore excursions.We saw amazing wildlife. The AnAn bear sanctuary was a highlight...so ,many black and brown bears. We did all excursions other than the ATV excursion in Sitka privately. I found them to be much more personal and far less expensive. Oceania excursion to AnAn approximately 600 per couple, they spent 45 minutes there. Private 350- we had a far longer visit. Michelle with Island winds WONDERFUL! Temsco helicopter, a real experience. All in all a terrific trip. The only downer for us was the quality of the spa on the Regatta. I had high expectations for massage, hair etc., but the quality was just not what I have experienced elsewhere.

We really loved the small ship, especially in Alaska. We used our balcony and would do it all again in a heartbeat!

Karen

We leave Saturday and it doesnt look really cold..did you bring a really heavy jacket, I wasnt going to..have been there before several past years and by layering, average weight coat was fine..your opinion this year please..

Jancruz1

I brought fleece jackets, sweatshirts, long sleeve tees and a waterproof windbreaker.Layers worked best. The windbreaker served two purposes...rain and chilly wind.Average weight will be fine. On the glaciers and on the water we needed hats and gloves. Enjoy!

I brought fleece jackets, sweatshirts, long sleeve tees and a waterproof windbreaker.Layers worked best. The windbreaker served two purposes...rain and chilly wind.Average weight will be fine. On the glaciers and on the water we needed hats and gloves. Enjoy!

I agree with that, and would add a long scarf for extra warmth.

Archived