Plane eats

believer33323

Our flight from Ft. Lauderdale to Vancouver is 8 hours including a 3 hour layover in Dallas. We plan to eat dinner at the Dallas airport but I would like to get some ideas on what I can/could bring with us on the plane for snacking and drinking. The plane tickets states that food is "available for purchase" I would rather not purchase anything on the plane but I do not want to bring something that TSA or the airline will take away.

You can take anything pre-packaged; granola bars, crackers, nuts, etc. Of course, no liquids. I have also taken a whole can of cashews that I dumped into a zip-lock plastic bag and TSA doesn't bat an eye.

You cannot bring your own beverages from home. You'd either have to purchase beverages at the airport (after passing through security) or get them on the plane (should be at least one complimentary non-alcoholic beverage per flight).

You can bring just about any non-liquid food with you on the plane in Ft. Lauderdale, you just can't take off any leftovers into Vancouver unless it is in a factory sealed container (i.e. a granola bar you never unwrapped would be fine to bring off the plane, but a sandwich you would not be able to bring off).

There are planty of options for meals to bring on board once you are in the secure area of the FLL airport (as well as DFW). The restaurants in that area of the airport usually have the take-out meals pre-packaged, which makes it easy to carry it on board and eat once you are in your seat.

Our flight from Ft. Lauderdale to Vancouver is 8 hours including a 3 hour layover in Dallas. We plan to eat dinner at the Dallas airport but I would like to get some ideas on what I can/could bring with us on the plane for snacking and drinking. The plane tickets states that food is "available for purchase" I would rather not purchase anything on the plane but I do not want to bring something that TSA or the airline will take away.

Hi believer.

I can tell you that you will definitely be better off bringing your own snacks on board. Those "snack-box available for purchase" things are mostly overpriced unhealthy crap that's sold in vending machines. Who wants to pay $8.00 and get a stick of beef jerky, peanut butter crackers, some mini life savers and a baby snickers? Some carriers do sell more substantial things like salads and sandwiches, but theyre always overpriced and don't have a huge turnover. So that $11.00 turkey sandwich you're buying at 6 in the evening may have been flying around with that plane all day in a barely-cold cabinet in the galley.

They'll let you being pretty much any food through security (just watch the 3 oz rule on anything semi-liquid like yogurts, puddings, etc). We've bought sandwiches and salads from home through with no problem.

Drinks, on the other hand, you pretty much have to purchase once airside past security and bring them on board..

Hope that helped a little and enjoy your cruise !

You can take anything pre-packaged; granola bars, crackers, nuts, etc. Of course, no liquids. I have also taken a whole can of cashews that I dumped into a zip-lock plastic bag and TSA doesn't bat an eye.

TSA does not care if food is pre-packaged or not - you are thinking of customs. You can bring non pre-packaged foods onto an airplane, but if you fly into another country you have to clear customs after exiting the plane; it is there you can get in trouble if caught bringing in not permitted agricultural products. All TSA cares about food wise is that it is not liquid.

My pre-packaged Jenny Craig meal was taken away at security. It was a stew in a tin container that I was hoping to eat while waiting for my flight. I didn't think it would be allowed, and sure enough I had to toss it.

Maybe they took it as a NON-FOOD substance (LOL) Anyway, Cold Stew, yucky

My pre-packaged Jenny Craig meal was taken away at security. It was a stew in a tin container that I was hoping to eat while waiting for my flight. I didn't think it would be allowed, and sure enough I had to toss it.

It probably was considered a liquid by the person who took it.

If it pours, smears, or spreads it is subject to the 100ml (3.4oz) liquid restriction. I've never had any issue with fruit or Ziplocs full of cut veggies. If you are one of the 5 remaining Americans who (along with me) still drinks tap water you can bring along an empty water bottle or sport bottle and fill it at a drinking fountain past security.

At DFW, Terminal D has the best food court by far. Provided your inbound is on time you should have time to go over there for sit-down or takeaway dinner; there is a fast and easy inter-terminal tram system if your flight doesn't already use D (used by AA).

FYI, food for purchase on AA used to be nutritional disasters in a box. Some choices still are gross but they have added healthier selections. Haven't purchased food on other airlines recently enough to comment.

I recently took a few types of cheese cut into cubes, some crackers, and some prosciutto. I was the envy of FC once I got a glass of wine to enjoy with them.

That's wat I'm talking about. Pecorino Romano sounds good. The only problem is the TSA will probably take it away for there own snack.

That's wat I'm talking about. Pecorino Romano sounds good. The only problem is the TSA will probably take it away for there own snack.

I take cheese, hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit, even a mozzarella/tomato/basil stack once, and they've never even blinked an eye. They will confiscate your pie. And make sure the dressing is on your salad or in the 3-1- or they'll take that. If it's on the salad already it's fine. Our tax dollars at work. (Morons)

And make sure the dressing is on your salad or in the 3-1- or they'll take that. If it's on the salad already it's fine. Our tax dollars at work. (Morons)

Actually, I think that's a rare example of some logical thinking from government officials. If you're willing to actually eat it, it's likely not an explosive...:D

I had gotten a can of ginger ale on a JetBlue flight to Tampa once. I didn't drink it, so I placed it into my backpack for later drinking. Well I forgot about it in there and when I was time to return home, TSA was pretty mad at me about the metal can. It was tossed, I didn't care.

Just be careful. My uncle chose to eat a sandwich on the sidelines quickly as he didn't want to toss it and they wouldn't let him pass.

I'll probably try the sandwich idea this summer.

Just to add. No yogurt, cottage cheese snaks, soft cheese spreads, applesauce, jello snak paks or even lemon meringue or key lime pie.

These things have been confiscated by either myself or my family :(

Also, for the sake of those who are sitting nearby, no smelly food.

I actually saw someones nasty fish leftovers being taken away mid-flight.

Smell was offensive. YUCK..

I take cheese, hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit, even a mozzarella/tomato/basil stack once, and they've never even blinked an eye. They will confiscate your pie. And make sure the dressing is on your salad or in the 3-1- or they'll take that. If it's on the salad already it's fine. Our tax dollars at work. (Morons)

DITTO.....

You must be the envy of the people sitting near you.

Just to add. No yogurt, cottage cheese snaks, soft cheese spreads, applesauce, jello snak paks or even lemon meringue or key lime pie.

These things have been confiscated by either myself or my family :(

Also, for the sake of those who are sitting nearby, no smelly food.

I actually saw someones nasty fish leftovers being taken away mid-flight.

Smell was offensive. YUCK..

The cheese could be mistaken for plastic explosives (LOL)

Actually, I think that's a rare example of some logical thinking from government officials. If you're willing to actually eat it, it's likely not an explosive...:D

So why do they confiscate pie? Pudding? Yogurt?

I am guessing it was a cream pie, not fruit; because it's considered a liquid.

And the ironic thing is that a fruit pie has just as much "liquid" as a cream pie. Unless you're talking about a rock hard pecan pie, fruit pies are the same idea as cream pies--sometimes even more liquid-y.

That's my point, the TSA doesn't have a clue and are as useful as a hole in the fuselage when it comes to protecting us. I guarantee that FAR more threats are stopped before they even get to the airport by the FBI/CIA/NSA through intelligence--something the TSA seems to be incredibly lacking in.

Think about it this way, TSA requirements for hire are a GED and can pass a background check. Yeah, those are some real rocket scientists we've got in charge.

That's my point, the TSA doesn't have a clue and are as useful as a hole in the fuselage when it comes to protecting us. I guarantee that FAR more threats are stopped before they even get to the airport by the FBI/CIA/NSA through intelligence--something the TSA seems to be incredibly lacking in.
I think you might find that they all work together. Although the TSA's restrictions are applied at the point of travel, the object of those restrictions is also to stop the threats long before there's any thought of their going to the airport.

Archived