State Room Safe

We were recently on the Grandeur of the Seas leaving from Palma.

Had a good time -lovely weather - good food - nice- table mates-all in all

a great time.

We did have a few minor problems.

The most annoying thing was the state room safe - operated by a credit card!!

Now is the whole point not that you can lock all valuables away safely- we had to swipe a valid credit card to lock and open the safe. Now this meant we had

to carry the credit card on our person everywhere we went.

Not at all happy with arrangement - what has happened to the personalised

code numbers on the state room safes?

Barbara: :(

Noidea - we did try various other cards we had ie petrol cards, works pass,

store cards etc but none would work - we were not at all happy with this arrangement.

We used a grocery store card for our safe.but that was on a different ship. Why did it have to be a valid credit card? I wouldn't want that.

The Jewel had 4 digit personalized codes.

Some ships have the digital safes with the pin codes and some have the card swiper. In the last few cruises with RCCL we have seen both.

We always take an empty gift card, but any card with a black stripe will work. I was informed that if you use a credit card or your drivers license it will demagnetize the card and remove the important information stored on the card.

I don't think it is that big of a deal to carry a card when you are already carrying your sea pass card.

Can someone please clarify? If you can use any old card such as a grocery card, how is it "safe"?

Do you set it to your unique card upon boarding (whatever it may be)? What a pain to carry one more thing around all day.

What kind of safe does Brilliance have?

Hopefully, the Allure will have the four digit codes. Once on board, I lock my credit cards up for the week. On the islands, I wear my seapass around my neck, water in backpack, etc. It would be a pain to have to keep up with a credit card while trying to enjoy an excursion.

I was on the Grandeur last week. We had an Owners Suite. The safe in there was operated with a PIN selected by me. No need for a credit card.

I agree that carrying a credit card would be a pain as I like to lock my cards & wallet away when I get on the ship & only get them out for trips ashore.

Can someone please clarify? If you can use any old card such as a grocery card, how is it "safe"?

Do you set it to your unique card upon boarding (whatever it may be)? What a pain to carry one more thing around all day.

What kind of safe does Brilliance have?

Yes.

We were recently on the Grandeur of the Seas leaving from Palma.

Had a good time -lovely weather - good food - nice- table mates-all in all

a great time.

We did have a few minor problems.

The most annoying thing was the state room safe - operated by a credit card!!

Now is the whole point not that you can lock all valuables away safely- we had to swipe a valid credit card to lock and open the safe. Now this meant we had

to carry the credit card on our person everywhere we went.

Not at all happy with arrangement - what has happened to the personalised

code numbers on the state room safes?Barbara: :(

Nothing has happened to them. They just started to be used after Grandeur was built. Radiance, Voyager, Freedom, and Oasis class ships all use the safe where you set your own 4 digit code.

Hopefully, the Allure will have the four digit codes. Once on board, I lock my credit cards up for the week. On the islands, I wear my seapass around my neck, water in backpack, etc. It would be a pain to have to keep up with a credit card while trying to enjoy an excursion.

You can stop hoping..... it does.

I was informed that if you use a credit card or your drivers license it will demagnetize the card and remove the important information stored....

Don't you think there would be a huge outcry if this was true?! There are millions of these alleged data destroying devices in use around the world.

The swipe-to-lock safes read the data on the strip and check it when a card is used to try to open the safe. The track they read simply records the card number and expiry date. Any card using the relevant data standard should work, but obviously the best thing to use is a card with no real value, as it's not locked in your safe.

OP - I can only imagine you were unlucky and the other cards were not using the standard (certainly a work pass would not, but some of the others might). There is no way a safe can tell if a credit card is valid.

Wow, you really don't bring a credit card on shore? What it 'something' comes up, spending power is a wonderful thing in a jam. I have to assume that if a credit card is a pain, you don't bother to bring cash or ID either? Better you than me buddy.

I do not like to use my credit card either. while I take it ashore, I usually want it locked in the safe while on the ship.

I have used other cards (such as AAA) with no difficulty. I either carry that card or hide it somewhere in the stateroom.

We have been on ships with the card swipe safes. You don't have to carry the card around with you all the time. I just hid it in the cabin somewhere . I doubt someone is going to search all over your cabin for a hidden credit card to open your safe. We never had a problem. :)

What kind of safe does Brilliance have?[/quote

You can use any old credit bank card it's not linked to your seapass account, we were lucky that my mum had an old card which had expired the previous month that we could use. The most annoying thing was that you couldn't put a lot in the safe as it would not lock if anything was near to touching the door!

Wow, you really don't bring a credit card on shore? What it 'something' comes up, spending power is a wonderful thing in a jam. I have to assume that if a credit card is a pain, you don't bother to bring cash or ID either? Better you than me buddy.

Cash and a copy of a passport are less of a hassle than wondering if my credit card is in my pocket. I book excursions through the ship, so they are responsible for getting me back on time. Otherwise, I am onboard long before sailaway.

I don't like the swipe safes when there are 2 people sharing the safe. If you carry the card with you then you have to find the person with the card to get into the safe. On the Triumph we used some old card and hid it in the stateroom so we could get into the safe without the other person.

Archived