7 Hour Amalfi Coast Tour - Enough for Ravello?

GoofingOff

Our group of 10 is scheduling a private tour from Napels to Amalfi Coast on Sunday, August 7, 2011. The tour operator would normally go to Positano, Amalfi and Ravello on a 9 hour tour. However, since we are debarking the next morning, we want to make it a 7 hour tour so that it ends at 3PM. With 2 hours less, the tour operator suggesgts Positano and Amalfi only (no Ravelllo).

Do you think that Ravello needs to be dropped since our tour is 7 hours? Google Maps suggests it only take 10 minutes to go to Ravello from Amalfi.

How important was Ravello as a part of the Amalfi Coast?

Thanks for helping!

Google maps are great for getting the lay of the land, so to speak, but the program has no way of factoring in the impact of Sunday in the summer traffic and your tour operator does. It could easily take a half hour to travel those four miles.

The three towns are all quite different from one another and Ravello is quite beautiful ... there would be enough time to drive by, but I suspect your tour operator is trying to allow you enough time at each place to do more than just drive by. Imagine spending four hours of your day in slowly crawling, bumper-to-bumper traffic ... that's the Amalfi coast on August weekends.

I don't understand why you want to cut your day short. Do you really need two additional hours of packing time?

We did a private tour with DriveAmalfi. We drove along the coast, stopping several places for beautiful pictures, had maybe an hour in Positano, lunch at a nice restaurant "up in the hills", and came back for 2 hours at Pompeii. To be honest with you, the scenery is beautiful and I enjoyed the time in Positano, but off the top of my head, I do not remember if we visited Ravello, or not. Tour operators know the area, traffic situation (bad), and what works best. I would go with their judgement, since they deal with this each day.

Trust your operator ;)

IMHO Ravello has views to die for. I can't compare to Positano because we made an on the fly decision on our tour because of traffic and listend to our operator. To this day have no regrets, YMMV.

Our group of 10 is scheduling a private tour from Napels to Amalfi Coast on Sunday, August 7, 2011. The tour operator would normally go to Positano, Amalfi and Ravello on a 9 hour tour. However, since we are debarking the next morning, we want to make it a 7 hour tour so that it ends at 3PM. With 2 hours less, the tour operator suggesgts Positano and Amalfi only (no Ravelllo).

Do you think that Ravello needs to be dropped since our tour is 7 hours? Google Maps suggests it only take 10 minutes to go to Ravello from Amalfi.

How important was Ravello as a part of the Amalfi Coast?

Thanks for helping!

Just did the Amalfi drive 2 weeks ago. We used Rome In Limo who picked us up at the port at 8AM and had us back to the ship by about 5PM. We visited Positano, Amalfi and Ravello. Of the 3, I think Ravello was my favorite one - it was so beautiful. Our driver, Tony was the best. This was a Wednesday in May, so the traffic may be a different factor in the summer.

Seven hours is not all that long, as it takes awhile to get back and forth from Naples. We did an Amalfi Coast tour that took in all three you mentioned, but unfortunately we did not have all that much time in Ravello. It seemed as if it took much longer than the 10 minutes you mentined to get there, and then it put you further away from Naples so it took longer to get back from there. That being said, we had a long, leisurely lunch in Positano with lots of wine as part of our tour, so if you have a shorter lunch (or maybe tell the driver you want to eat lunch in Ravello) you could spend the time there. It was a lovely town-wish we had more time there!

Just did the Amalfi drive 2 weeks ago. We used Rome In Limo who picked us up at the port at 8AM and had us back to the ship by about 5PM. We visited Positano, Amalfi and Ravello. Of the 3, I think Ravello was my favorite one - it was so beautiful. Our driver, Tony was the best. This was a Wednesday in May, so the traffic may be a different factor in the summer.

chipmaster: IMHO Ravello has views to die for. I can't compare to Positano because we made an on the fly decision on our tour because of traffic and listend to our operator. To this day have no regrets' date=' YMMV. [/quote']

Glad to read from Mary that the Romeinlimo tour with Ravello, etc., worked so well. We have done Capri, Pompeii, Positano, Sorrento, etc., previously. See below picture. For our group of eight June 11, we have Romeinlimo scheduled on a private tour. This includes: Pick up from the port at 7:30 am., driving to scenic Ravello overlooking the Mediterranean, seeing certain portion of Amalfi Coast drive, in or around Sorrento for lunch, stopping at the historic area area of Herculaneum, then back to Naples, with, time permitting, a brief sampling at the famed National Archaeological Museum there. Glad to hear your adventures there worked so well. Romeinlimo gets high marks from so many. We are also using them for Cinque Terre.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our last July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now at 42,432 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Positano is uniquely built along the slopping mountain side. Here's an artist's view as he paints this scenic site. Had a great lunch along the beach-side at Chez Black. Wonderful!!!

It-Positano.jpg

We took this tour last week with DriveAmalfi. Picked us up at 8:00 and we returned around 5:30. Traffic coming back to port got congested once we hit Naples.

I agree that Ravello is not to be missed.:) We had our lunch there, with incredible views of the hillside. Also, there is a traffic light shortly before you hit Ravello that can last for up to 20 minutes if you are unfortunate to get stuck there. The road in is one way, and our van did get stopped.

If you really want to cut your trip short, spend less time in Amalfi, and cut down any stops along the way to have photo ops. We stopped three or four times. Positano was probably my favorite port. Be sure and walk down to the waterfront, like Terri did.

Sounds like we had basically the same itinerary as you. What I did is start packing the afternoon of our sea day (which was the day before our tour, but also formal night) and just made an afternoon of it. Left DH up on deck. Easier to think about what needed to go where without him being in the stateroom.:D

Lots of factors here......

First August is when many Italians take their vacations...... on top of those visiting from other countries. Sunday is family day in Italy..... traffic will be horrendous.

If you truly want to visit Ravello (which I think is a must) you either need to extend your tour time or cut your lunch time short. That is what we did, opting for a pick up lunch in Amalfi instead of a l-o-n-g leisurely one with a view...... a trade off for sure but one we do not regret.

We were there late Nov. so very off season...... we did Pompeii in the morning (2 hrs) then Ravello (45 minutes) Amalfi (1.5 hrs) Positano (1 hr) and then to Sorrento where we took the ferry back to Naples (45 minutes) all that plus driving time and a couple of stops (bathroom breaks and shopping at a ceramics place near the Emerald Grotto) made for a full day but one I will never forget.

Trust your guide...... work with them to figure out what can and can't be done. They know best.

Have fun !

We just got back from our Barcelona loop cruise on the Solstice May 26th. We used AP tours in Naples and did their Full Amalfi Coast and Sorrento, tour #4. It included: Amalfi, Revello, Positano and Sorrento. We elected to end the tour in Sorrento and take the high speed water taxi from Sorrento to Naples, took less time to get back to Naples giving you more time in Sorrento. Excellent tour and driver.... Here is a link. http://www.aptours.it/pagina.php?id=37&fork=1&lng=en

We also used AP Tours and had a great time with our party of four! I wish we hadn't taken such a long lunch break and had left more time for Ravello. It was beautiful. Go with your tour company's recommendations. Our trip back to the ship was slowed when cars stopped to look at a flock of sheep and goats. The driver knew to build in time for this flock. It's not something we are used to factoring in our drive times.

texancruzer

do you remember who you used for your pompeii/ravello/amalphi/positano tour? we have a group of 9 who are interested in the exact same itinerary. we will be in naples on a monday in september for about 9 hours.

thanks

bruce

texancruzer

do you remember who you used for your pompeii/ravello/amalphi/positano tour? we have a group of 9 who are interested in the exact same itinerary. we will be in naples on a monday in september for about 9 hours.

thanks

bruce

Like those posting above, we used APTours. They were great. Very professional and know their stuff :D They also arranged for a private guide for us at Pompeii (extra $) and we had a wonderful time with Pina.....our guide. It would have just been a bunch of ruins without her.

We are working on booking another cruise this Nov. and will again visit Naples (our 3rd) and plan to use them again ! Enjoy.

So much love for Ravello. I'll have to keep the tour at 9 hours to visit it. :)

The tour operator said if we keep at 7 and visit Ravello, we'll only do a drive-by of Positano. That doesn't seem like a good option either. There seems to be a lot of love for Positano in the forum also.

Lots of factors here......

First August is when many Italians take their vacations...... on top of those visiting from other countries. Sunday is family day in Italy..... traffic will be horrendous.

If you truly want to visit Ravello (which I think is a must) you either need to extend your tour time or cut your lunch time short. That is what we did, opting for a pick up lunch in Amalfi instead of a l-o-n-g leisurely one with a view...... a trade off for sure but one we do not regret.

We were there late Nov. so very off season...... we did Pompeii in the morning (2 hrs) then Ravello (45 minutes) Amalfi (1.5 hrs) Positano (1 hr) and then to Sorrento where we took the ferry back to Naples (45 minutes) all that plus driving time and a couple of stops (bathroom breaks and shopping at a ceramics place near the Emerald Grotto) made for a full day but one I will never forget.

Trust your guide...... work with them to figure out what can and can't be done. They know best.

Have fun !

We will be on a cruise in early Nov. How was the weather on the Amalfi Coast when you were there in late Nov.? Fortunately we are in port one day in Sorrento and will go to Pompeii and a second day we are in port in Amalfi so we can do Amalfi, Positano and Ravello without having to go from Sorrento or Naples. We are using Romeinlimo for this area since we also have them for Rome and Florence. Any suggestions for the Amalfi Coast will be appreciated - even though I am sure our driver/guide will be very informative.

We will be on a cruise in early Nov. How was the weather on the Amalfi Coast when you were there in late Nov.? Fortunately we are in port one day in Sorrento and will go to Pompeii and a second day we are in port in Amalfi so we can do Amalfi, Positano and Ravello without having to go from Sorrento or Naples. We are using Romeinlimo for this area since we also have them for Rome and Florence. Any suggestions for the Amalfi Coast will be appreciated - even though I am sure our driver/guide will be very informative.

First off, let me give you the wonderful website I found for planning trips and weather. www.americanexpressweather.com Enter the location and the dates you will be there on the left hand side...... and up pops the historical data of everything, temps, rain, wind etc. Now Mother Nature can "do her own thing" but this is as close as you can get to knowing what you will get.

Second, we enjoy traveling "off season". Cooler weather and less people. Not to mention usually great prices........ If you are going to Europe to "hit the beach" - don't go in November. We live on the beach and also travel to the Caribbean often so Europe for us is for history, art, food, a change of culture etc.....

Now, November was great the year we were there. Cold at night. But the days were glorious for sightseeing. I am one who would rather put on a sweater than be walking around sweating up a storm. Summer in Europe really isnt for me. For most of the trip, I had my sweater tied around my waist......

We are again planning a November cruise (out of Rome) but will also be arriving early November and finishing up the 18th...... so it will be a tad warmer than our last Nov. trip I imagine. But still pleasant I hope.

Enjoy the Amalfi coast area........ you are fortunate to have more time there. I would do Pompeii in the morning and then head to Naples to the Archealogical Museum in the afternoon. To see all the items they took from Pompeii after visiting makes it even more real and alive. We did the museum our second trip to Naples and were amazed.

• 2 weeks later...
texancruzer

thanks

bruce

We used Mariano at info@pleasantravel.com He is one of the two best guides we have ever had! He gives a great tour. He lives in Sorrento so he knows the area like the back of his hand.

We used Tour of Italy last year for a very similar day -- Pompeii, Sorrento, Amalfi, and, unfortunately, only a drive by of Positano. We were there in early July on a Sunday, and like others have said, traffic was beyond horrendous - which seriously cut into our time. We had a great day with our guide/driver - and I would use them again. We did also have a fabulous and leisurely lunch in a place above Sorrento. Our total day was probably about 8.5 -ish hours.

Archived