Are bridge and engine room tours available?

NorthWestPassage

I know that on mainstream cruise lines, they started to phase out bridge and engine room tours about 15 years ago (due to constraints imposed by their legal staff for security reasons, etc.). However, I was hoping that Oceania might be more accommodating to their passengers, regarding these sort of onboard courtesy visits. (A quick search of this site did not reveal any answers.) I will be sailing on the Nautica in the next few weeks. Have any Oceania seasoned veterans done this sort of thing recently?

We did bridge tour(s) at least once. It was not really advertised as being available; we kind of lucked into it by being in the right place at the right time.

We were in the OS and as one of the perks we ate dinner with the Captain, and one of the other guests in the OS group inquired about a bridge tour (I think all of the free wine with dinner emboldened him). So we got a letter from the Captain the next day inviting the group of us to meet up and tour the bridge.

Can't remember if the other bridge tour on an R ship was also on O, or on the Tahitian (now Ocean) Princess. I hope someone can give you more recent positive information! Good luck!

We also had a bridge tour six years ago when we were in an OS. It was reserved for OS and VS passengers (we were on Regatta) and we were sworn to secrecy.

Ooops.

As people who sailed first on Regatta when it was the R2, it was rather thrilling to see the schematic on the wall of the R2 ...

OS and VS passengers often are invited to the captain's table as well.

But the tours are pretty limited these days, I think. (Although it's several years since I was in an OS or VS so I could be wrong on that score!)

We did bridge tour(s) at least once. It was not really advertised as being available; we kind of lucked into it by being in the right place at the right time.

We were in the OS and as one of the perks we ate dinner with the Captain, and one of the other guests in the OS group inquired about a bridge tour (I think all of the free wine with dinner emboldened him). So we got a letter from the Captain the next day inviting the group of us to meet up and tour the bridge.

Is the dinner with the Captain a particular night of the cruise? Are all OS and VS suite passengers invited to dine with the Captain at least once?

It's been years since we have done a bridge tour, but would love to do one again if the opportunity is available.

Is the dinner with the Captain a particular night of the cruise? Are all OS and VS suite passengers invited to dine with the Captain at least once?

It's been years since we have done a bridge tour, but would love to do one again if the opportunity is available.

Well, it's not formal night...;)

All kidding aside, I don't remember that it was any particular night... There were 8 or 10 of us at our dinners, so I suspect they divide the OS/VS group of ~20 passengers into two groups, so maybe 2 Captain's dinners?

As far as everyone on OS/VS dining with the Captain every cruise, I remember dining with him at least two of the three times. Maybe not all of the Captains do it?

From my experience, it depends. On our Norway cruise last summer there were NO captain's dinners. I only know because I asked friends who were in a VS and they had no contact at all with the captain. They weren't even invited to a dinner with an officer (as we have been just because we've been on a number of cruises).

OTOH, when we were in an OS (once) and a VS (once) we were invited to a captain's table. On those cruises there were more than one captain's table. In fact, when we were in the VS we were invited so late in the cruise that I'd assumed we would NOT be.

It's a great experience because the wines are free flowing, the dinners are great (well, that's par usuel on Oceania) and you are greeted at the reception area by name. Makes you think you are REALLY important.

And of course the captains are all great hosts.

As to bridge tours, that remains kind of secretive. You might get one if you are in an elite cabin but don't count on it. We were invited once, not twice.

Mura

Adhoc bridge tours can happen. My 12 year old daughter and a friend she made on board were taken to see the bridge when we were cruising the Med on Nautica. My wife got to go along but I missed out (snoozing by the pool). I was not aware of any formal tours on offer but we were in a PH and not the larger suites.

From my experience, it depends. On our Norway cruise last summer there were NO captain's dinners. I only know because I asked friends who were in a VS and they had no contact at all with the captain. They weren't even invited to a dinner with an officer (as we have been just because we've been on a number of cruises).

Mura

We were invited by the concierge on that cruise but we declined ..we were just too tired that day

Just wanted a quick meal & off to bed

We were deck 4 so not sure how they choose

Since I am not in an elite cabin, I think that being mildly hopeful is all that I can expect. It is always best to manage expectations. :cool:

Be hopeful, by all means, and be accessible.

On our last cruise, we might have missed the opportunity of getting up to the Marinas' Bridge if it hadn't been for the kindness of Hondorner (from this board) who fished......er......fetched us out of the swimming pool when he heard that we were on the guest list, but hadn't RSVP'd.

BTW, all of this pertains to Bridge Tours, I haven't heard of anybody getting down into the Engine Room since the 1970's.

LOL, back in those days, the Engineers used to brag about how many gallons of fuel was required to move the ship its' own length!

One of the ladies I did a private tour with on the maiden voyage of the Marina said that she and her DH were invited to tour the bridge. She originally booked an oceanview cabin, this was her 2nd or 3rd cruise with O, and she said she had no clue as to why she was invited. But, an invitation is an invitation and she went and enjoyed herself and had bragging rights to boot!!

On our first and only cruise with Azamara, DH and I received an invitation to tour the bridge. Another couple who we were traveling with had cruised with Azamara before and they weren't invited. So, who knows how these things are determined.

Be hopeful, by all means, and be accessible.

BTW, all of this pertains to Bridge Tours, I haven't heard of anybody getting down into the Engine Room since the 1970's.

Back in the late 1980s and early 1990s, I discretely requested and often arranged private engine room tours on numerous large cruise ships via the engineering officers. My most memorable time involved following the chief engineering officer on the (old) HAL Rotterdam, while he conducted a 90 minute (surprise) inspection. They passed with flying colors; so I am not sure how much of a surprise it was for the impacted crew members. ;)

On one of our first O cruises, actually one of THE first O cruises, we had an Galley tour. No samples or food being actually visible but explanations of how they got so much food out so fast. No recollection of how or who arranged it or whether our OS factored in to the invitation.

We were in a VS on a TA in Nov 2008 and asked our butler if he could arrange a bridge tour (my partner is a electronics tech with the Coast Guard and likes to compare ships). We were told that Oceania did not conduct bridge tours due to security concerns.

On another TA in March 2010, a friend of ours who is renowned for his schmoozing abilities asked the concierge about the possibility (none of us were in anything higher than a veranda cabin). She checked with the Captain, and there was no problem with about 8 of us visiting the bridge. There were also a few other people that we didn't know. I suspect it's up to the Captain.

Our interest in the bridge (we asked a TON of questions) seemed to impress the Captain, as we were subsequently invited to join him in Toscana for dinner. Fabulous.

If you stay in the VS or OS (on the R Class, anyway) you are treated to "dinner under the stars" towards the end of the cruise. This includes many of the ships officers, and is held on the pool deck. On our 2008 TA, we were fortunate enough to have Jacques Pepin on our cruise. He dined with us (although at a different table than ours) and I still have the menu with his autograph, as well as the chef's.

If you stay in the VS or OS (on the R Class, anyway) you are treated to "dinner under the stars" towards the end of the cruise. This includes many of the ships officers, and is held on the pool deck. On our 2008 TA, we were fortunate enough to have Jacques Pepin on our cruise. He dined with us (although at a different table than ours) and I still have the menu with his autograph, as well as the chef's.

I wonder if they do a "Dinner under the Stars" on the Alaska voyages for the OS/VS? If it's too chilly outside, perhaps they offer something else special?

If it's too chilly outside,

Don't count, or pack for, "chilly" weather on an Alaska cruise unless you are booked very early or very late in the season.

In fact, from late June until late August, our experience has been that you're much more likely to be too hot than too cold.

The Chefs Dinner is held in the area of the pool deck which is sometimes referred to as "the Patio", hence the name.

Although this area is technically outside, it is very sheltered.

011728.jpg

This Patio furniture is moved away, and dining tables for six or eight are set up.

As others have already posted, "Bridge" and "Engine Room" tours were pretty much discontinued years ago. However, from time to time, we hear that some passengers have been invited by the captain to join in tours of the bridge.

I would suggest that anyone who is truly interested, make their interests known - to the staff in Vessel Operations or Passenger Services. Ask that your request be passed on to the Captain, who is the final authority in whether guests are allowed on the bridge.

Persistence may prevail!! ;)

The Chefs Dinner is held in the area of the pool deck which is sometimes referred to as "the Patio", hence the name.

Although this area is technically outside, it is very sheltered.

011728.jpg

This Patio furniture is moved away, and dining tables for six or eight are set up.

Very nice picture and I am glad it is in a sheltered area "just in case". As for Alaska's weather, believe me, I know it very well. We have cruised Alaska numerous times, and know that the weather there can be hot, cold, dry, drizzly, rainy, and all of the above in a short span of time. That's why I only used the word "if".:)

So, are you going to take advantage of the chance to cruise Regatta in Alaska this season? ;)

So, are you going to take advantage of the chance to cruise Regatta in Alaska this season

If there were any way in the World that we could make that happen, we would certainly do it.

We could have gotten a Vista Suite -with an onboard credit that would almost cover Jims bar bill, for a really fabulous price, but we just cannot do it.

For better or for for worse, , we're still at an age where one of our two annual vacations must be spent with the parental units, and the parents prefer Aruba to Alaska.

• 2 weeks later...
If there were any way in the World that we could make that happen, we would certainly do it.

We could have gotten a Vista Suite -with an onboard credit that would almost cover Jims bar bill, for a really fabulous price, but we just cannot do it.

For better or for for worse, , we're still at an age where one of our two annual vacations must be spent with the parental units, and the parents prefer Aruba to Alaska.

Whenever we have a cruise booked, I always look out for your posts, informative and funny they are :)

...For better or for for worse, , we're still at an age where one of our two annual vacations must be spent with the parental units, and the parents prefer Aruba to Alaska...

While we call Jim and Stan "our kids" (there is a 20 year age difference), we aen't the official parents who prefer Aruba. We would have loved to have "the boys" with us on Regatta on the 29th.

Archived