Port of Lyttelton Cruise ship season

That's great news then - that's sooner than originally expected. Wonder what tours will be on offer. The CBD is still roped off and is supposed to be demolished and rebuilt and I believe the Gondola will take years to be rebuilt, if ever. The punt, tram and trains I believe are OK.

That's great news then - that's sooner than originally expected. Wonder what tours will be on offer. The CBD is still roped off and is supposed to be demolished and rebuilt and I believe the Gondola will take years to be rebuilt, if ever. The punt, tram and trains I believe are OK.

Trams are gone as the track went through the CBD. Punting through the gardens is operational but the trip past the town hall is not as it is in the red no go zone and it appears the town hall will also need to be demolished.

Trams are gone as the track went through the CBD. Punting through the gardens is operational but the trip past the town hall is not as it is in the red no go zone and it appears the town hall will also need to be demolished.

Very glad to see you are ok:). What is happening at Lyttleton? I heard the gondola chair lift, near Lyttleton was out, perhaps not to be rebuilt. Is the coastal road, Bridle Rd if I remember, open again We missed out on this last time, and was hoping it was ok. Looking forward to pumping in a few needy dollars into your area in November. Madly searching for tours!!

Thanks so much for your info. All the very best.

Jen:)

Have been doing lots of research plus emails since this info was posted re Lyttleton being reopened. This is what I have found out. There are only a couple of tour operators operating atm in the Christchurch area, with more updating their tours and prices by end of Sept this year. Most say, contact us late Sept. Sadly it is due to the earthquake, which we all know, and sympathise with of course.

Anyway, just thought I would pass on my info for those others looking for private tours.

Jen

Very glad to see you are ok:). What is happening at Lyttleton? I heard the gondola chair lift, near Lyttleton was out, perhaps not to be rebuilt. Is the coastal road, Bridle Rd if I remember, open again We missed out on this last time, and was hoping it was ok. Looking forward to pumping in a few needy dollars into your area in November. Madly searching for tours!!

Thanks so much for your info. All the very best.

Hi, well Lyttelton was the epicentre and about 50% of the towns buildings have been destroyed and are still lying in rubble on the streets. Yes, gondola is out, not sure of the future of that. Bridle path and all the coastal roads have reopened now that they have removed loose rocks and boulders from above.

Not sure what tours will be available, there has been alot of talk here this past week about disaster tourism to help with the rebuild so would not be surprised if there were some tours on offer looking around the destruction by then.

In my opinion one of the best day trips from here is to Hanmer Springs thermal area. Great little village and heaps to do besides the pools, but maybe you will not have enough time in port to get there and back.

If anyone needs any information on anything specific please let me know!

Hi Kiwiatchch,

I found a web site, a local one for you, that lists what is open for business and what is not. Lots of info there, and I was stunned at the amount of businesses that have been affected and are irrepairable. I only hope that with the ships coming back into Lyttleton, it will bring some much needed dollars to your immediate area. Hanmer Springs is on our wish list, also perhaps Authurs Pass, or simply staying in Lyttleton and taking a ferry over to one of the small islands for the day.

Thanks for your reports of immediate areas and access.....very helpful.

Jen

Hi again,

I do have a question. What are your personal views on Ripapa Island, or even ferry to Diamond Harbour. Are these worth seeing? Or do you think it better to take a flying visit to Hanmer Springs with hire car? DH is very interested in relics on Ripapa Island, but they only tour there if 16+ people book, and it is only for 3 hrs, plus I doubt very much that the locals in Lytleton would want masses roaming around the streets atm. Thanks again.

Hi Jen , another option to check out for Hanmer is this one.

http://www.atsnz.com/

We used them, pre quake, as they then ran a service direct from Cathedral Square to Hanmer, had about an hour turnaround there and then back to the City. It was a comfortable day and the scenery was great on the way. Back in plenty of time to get back to the ship.

However I see their pick up place and schedule has changed, but it may help to give you some ideas.... re Hanmer.

Hi Jen , another option to check out for Hanmer is this one.

http://www.atsnz.com/

We used them, pre quake, as they then ran a service direct from Cathedral Square to Hanmer, had about an hour turnaround there and then back to the City. It was a comfortable day and the scenery was great on the way. Back in plenty of time to get back to the ship.

However I see their pick up place and schedule has changed, but it may help to give you some ideas.... re Hanmer.

Thanks David, just emailed them. I like to be organised well ahead, as you can see:D

Jen

Hi Kiwiatchch,

I found a web site, a local one for you, that lists what is open for business and what is not. Lots of info there, and I was stunned at the amount of businesses that have been affected and are irrepairable. I only hope that with the ships coming back into Lyttleton, it will bring some much needed dollars to your immediate area. Hanmer Springs is on our wish list, also perhaps Authurs Pass, or simply staying in Lyttleton and taking a ferry over to one of the small islands for the day.

Thanks for your reports of immediate areas and access.....very helpful.

Jen

Would you kindly post the link to the website listing the businesses?

Hi again,

I do have a question. What are your personal views on Ripapa Island, or even ferry to Diamond Harbour. Are these worth seeing? Or do you think it better to take a flying visit to Hanmer Springs with hire car? DH is very interested in relics on Ripapa Island, but they only tour there if 16+ people book, and it is only for 3 hrs, plus I doubt very much that the locals in Lytleton would want masses roaming around the streets atm. Thanks again.

Hi Jen

Ripapa Island is worth a visit, it is not far but it is small. I think some of the better rellics are a short drive from Lyttleton out on Godley Heads - gun placements, tunnels etc but this area is still closed atm. There are regular ferry crossing to Diamond Harbour but again not much left over there - the lovely big old Godley House has been shut since it sustained damage in the September quake. Just through the tunnel Ferrymead Historic park is still operational. Prequake you could have had a great day in this area but now there is alot of damage - footpaths, roads and the land are all in a bad state.

Hanmer, while it is a bit of a drive it is a scenic drive with a possible winery stop! Besides the pools it has bungy jumping, jet boat rides, walks through forestry and up to Conical Hill lookout, hire a pedal car to go around the village not to mention good cafes and interesting shops.

Sherie

There are regular ferry crossing to Diamond Harbour but again not much left over there - the lovely big old Godley House has been shut since it sustained damage in the September quake. Just through the tunnel Ferrymead Historic park is still operational. Prequake you could have had a great day in this area but now there is alot of damage - footpaths, roads and the land are all in a bad state.

Sherie

Unfortunatelty its been announced that Godley House is to be demolished as it sustained just too much damage.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/christchurch-earthquake-2011/5053074/Godley-House-to-be-demolished

The Christchurch Press today (Saturday 4th June 2011) reports that 85,000 visitors are expected from Cruise Ships this summer.

The Port of Lyttelton chief executive Peter Davie said "discussions with cruise companies mostly concerned what attractions the city could provide. Activities such as the Alpine Train and High Country tours have been unaffected, while most ships will arrive in February and March when more of the central city was expected to open."

"We're trying to make sure as much as possible the service is normal for cruise passengers as it would have previously been", Davie said. " It's fine to be able to bring the ships in, but the customers have got to get an experience in Christchurch as well".

We will be in Christchurch in Jan, on a land based holiday not a cruise this time. We will be overnighting there after our flight and before heading west the next day.

I would also be interested to know what businesses are open at the moment and anticipated dates for future openings. We are booked to stay in near the city - we wanted to support a local hotel still operating.

Would you kindly post the link to the website listing the businesses?

Hi,

The main site is http://www.christchurchnz.com. On the main page there is a connection to media or travel updates, click on 'read more' (in red), then look for latest info for Transport, then scroll down to 'tours and transport' and finally click on 'update'. This will bring up a pdf file. I found this particular site very interesting an informative regarding our plans.

Hoping this helps, it did for us.

Jen

Hi,

The main site is www.christchurchnz.com. On the main page there is a connection to media or travel updates. I found this particular site very interesting an informative regarding our plans.

For a direct link, i have bookmarked....www.christchurchnz.com/media/2073112/list of open transport in christchurch 6 may.pdf

Hoping this helps, it did for us.

Jen

Thanks, off to check them out now!

Thanks, off to check them out now!

Hi again,

I just re-edited my previous post, as the pdf file wouldn't work in the link I gave you.....so have to re-read my post for 'directions'

Jen

Hi again,

I just re-edited my previous post, as the pdf file wouldn't work in the link I gave you.....so have to re-read my post for 'directions'

Jen

Thanks, I think I found it, there is a map on the first page and a list of accommodation options further down...any way the site has heaps of info that I was after as well.

Thanks, Debra

David......Thanks for the link to Hanmer Springs. Have received an answer from them, and it is perfect for us, plus they do pickup and drop off from i-site in Lyttleton especially for us cruisers.

Thanks again.

Jen

David......Thanks for the link to Hanmer Springs. Have received an answer from them, and it is perfect for us, plus they do pickup and drop off from i-site in Lyttleton especially for us cruisers.

Thanks again.Jen

You are welcome Jen,

When we were kids we used to go down that way each year at Christmas to visit the rellies. My Uncle was the "blacksmith" in Amberley, Cousin was the Bank Manager in Rangiora, and an Aunt ran a B&B in Hanmer.

Changed a lot since those days, but still a great part of the country.

Archived