HAL vs. Celebrity -- Concrete differences

elycelynne

You see how difficult it is to interpret the responses on this thread,

Some say X food is better, some say HAL. Entertainment is better, worse or comparable. X ambiance is either more like a resort, or classic liner. Both HAL and X have the friendliest staff.

I understand OP looks for a non-emotional objective comparison. I think that is an impossible task - especially around here. ;)

Still the observations on this thread have been very sincere, informative, and some very detailed.

I have really enjoyed following it.

Oh, and I agree with what everyone has said. :eek::D

Does anyone know about the announcements - are there more on one line or the other? I have to say, this has been a great read - and with more concrete examples than what you normally find.

Does anyone know about the announcements - are there more on one line or the other? I have to say, this has been a great read - and with more concrete examples than what you normally find.

I don't know about Celebrity, but on HAL they're pretty infrequent. And there aren't any speakers in the cabins, so if you're in your cabin when one is starting, you either have to open the door at least slightly (from what I remember on the Westerdam) or stand right by the door and and listen through the small vents in the door (on the Eurodam). Since these are the only two ships I've been on so far, I don't know how it is on the S or R ships or the Prinsendam.

Celebrity does not do announcements except Captain at noon. HAL does them but rarely. Not like Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess. So I would not consider them an issue on Celebrity or HAL.

Some concrete differences I am aware of:

HAL staterooms are generally about 10% larger than Celebrity staterooms, although with the Celebrity Solstice class, that difference has shrunk.

HAL ships have full walk-around promenade decks. Celebrity ships don't.

Virtually all drink prices (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) are much higher aboard Celebrity ships than they are aboard HAL ships.

Fresh-squeezed OJ is free aboard HAL ships. IIRC, it costs $2.50 on Celebrity.

An In-Room Set-up aboard HAL costs $30-40 and includes 3 cans of mixer. Aboard Celebrity, it costs $80-90 and includes a six-pack of mixer.

HAL offers pre-paid beverage cards that give a 10% discount (50% discount for soda cards) and automatically refunds any unused portion.

Celebrity offers a variety of drink packages. Those including alcohol begin at $39/day per person for drinks not exceeding $8 (IIRC) and $49/day for inclusion of martinis ($10) and some premium brands. (Opinion: Unless one is a heavy drinker and never leaves the ship, this is not a good deal.)

whether one has a package or not, whenever one orders a drink aboard Celebrity, one must sign for the drink. Although the 15% gratuity is already included on the chit, an additional line is provided to write in an additional tip.

Aboard a HAL ship, Whether one has a beverage card or not, one almost never needs to sign for a drink. The 15% gratuity is automatically calculated, and there is no space for an additional tip requiring attention.

At any time during a HAL cruise, one can bring aboard as many bottles of wine, champagne, soda and water as desired. Celebrity limits passengers to two bottles of wine or champagne at embarkation.

Celebrity Solstice class ships have more dining venues. Millennium class ships had about the same number, but all are eventually being upgraded to include more.

Celebrity suites have butlers. HAL suites have the Neptune Lounge and concierges.

Celebrity allows passengers to view their account charges in the privacy of their own cabin on their television set. HAL does not.

I have NEVER been on Celebrity and have had 33 with HAL. I found some of the comments to be educational and balanced. I have known people who have sailed both. Some say they prefer Celebrity and some say they prefer HAL. I am happy with HAL and plan on staying with HAL

I have NEVER been on Celebrity and have had 33 with HAL. I found some of the comments to be educational and balanced. I have known people who have sailed both. Some say they prefer Celebrity and some say they prefer HAL. I am happy with HAL and plan on staying with HAL

To each their own but I would find it boring to only cruise on one cruise line. But also if you don't try other cruise lines you won't know if you are missing out on expereinces and options that you might prefer. I have done 40 cruises and have mixed them up. Azamara, Celebrity, Carnival, Princess, Cunard, Royal Caribbean HAL, NCL. There is something to like about all of them although I don't intend to cruise on Carnival or NCL agian because those two had the most negatives. Azamara, Celebrity and HAL had the most positives. Royal Caribbean has the best ships and Princess has the best itineraries so they stay on my list.

None has mentioned this but Celebrity has much better perks for past passengers than HAL. I get that fresh squeeze orange juice in the morning someone mentioned on Celebrity and also free drinks in the evening after only ten cruises. Also internet and laundry.

None has mentioned this but Celebrity has much better perks for past passengers than HAL. I get that fresh squeeze orange juice in the morning someone mentioned on Celebrity and also free drinks in the evening after only ten cruises. Also internet and laundry.

Whether or not the perks offered by one line are better than the other depends on the individual, I think. Minor note: the laundry allowance for Celebrity is not unlimited. Neither is internet allowance, although 90 minutes is generous.

From the Celebrity website, here are the perks for Elite Status Customers:

Elite Member Benefits* (After 10 earned tier credits)**

• Exclusive Captain's Club Celebration event • Complimentary pressing of 2 garment items • One complimentary bag of laundry (wash, dry, fold) on every sailing‡ • One standard bag of laundry (wash, dry, fold) at a discounted price of $20 on all Celebrity cruises of 12 nights or longer • Complimentary dry cleaning of 1 garment item • Complimentary 90 minute Internet package (can be applied towards a larger Internet package) • Access to the Captain's Club Lounge for coffeehouse style breakfast and evening social hour (open daily except embarkation and the evening of the Senior Officers’ Cocktail Party) • Complimentary access to Persian Garden (on one (1) port day of your choice, while the ship is in port) spacer.gif

dotted_line.gifspacer.gif

• Complimentary use of the Loyalty Desk member service center between cruises • Complimentary access to the onboard Loyalty Host during your cruise • A premium onboard discount booklet filled with special offers during each cruise • Complimentary upgrade from ChoiceAir to ChoiceAir Plus when booking travel for your cruise • Pre-sailing specialty restaurant reservations available before your cruise • Annual member Reunion Cruise with additional member events • One category upgrade prior to sailing (when available) • Complimentary online Captain's Club newsletter with the latest program news and information • Priority embarkation while boarding the ship (where available) • Invitation to a complimentary wine seminar event • Priority status on the shore excursion waitlist • Invitation to the exclusive Senior Officer's Cocktail Party • Access to the private shipboard departure lounge with continental breakfast during disembarkation • Priority tender service status • Priority waitlist status for dining room seating • Invitation to attend the Elegant Tea Service event • Ability to enroll in Royal Caribbean's Crown & Anchor Society Diamond Tier

From the Holland America website, here are the 4-star benefits:

• Welcome Back Embarkation Lunch in the dining room (from 12:00pm to 1:30pm) as well as a complimentary Mariner Champagne Brunch
  • A collectible gift presented to you on board
  • A 50% discount on specialty restaurant surcharges, wine packages†, beverages in the Explorations Café† and all mini-bar purchases†
  • A complimentary winetasting session
  • Complimentary laundry and pressing services†
  • A 15% discount on Holland America Line logo clothing sold in onboard shops (may exclude already discounted merchandise)
  • A 15% discount on merchandise from http://www.shophollandamerica.com
  • Discount on select spa treatments from the Greenhouse Spa & Salon
  • Priority disembarkation†
  • Priority tender†
  • Priority check-in†
  • Early notification of shore excursions available for prebooking*
  • A complimentary photo of the ship
  • A special recognition lapel pin
  • A complimentary one-year subscription to Travel + Leisure or Food & Wine magazine (one per household)
  • A free subscription to the print or digital* version of Mariner magazine
  • An annual cruise planner
  • Advance notice of new itineraries*
  • Offers to special sailings hosted by a representative of the Mariner Society
  • Special offers on select sailings
  • Waiver of air deviation fees†
  • Complimentary cruise fare on 3rd/4th guest in your stateroom on select sailings

Finally, IIRC, HAL has a more extensive room service menu available to all passengers.

We have had the classic alcohol package twice on two different Celebrity ships, and never had to sign for a drink. After a few days, they know what you want, you walk into a club, get their attention from across the room, and your drink arrives. And we have not even tipped extra yet! We love the all-inclusive feel, no more warm beer or melted umbrella drinks, just order another!:D

We have had the classic alcohol package twice on two different Celebrity ships, and never had to sign for a drink. After a few days, they know what you want, you walk into a club, get their attention from across the room, and your drink arrives. And we have not even tipped extra yet! We love the all-inclusive feel, no more warm beer or melted umbrella drinks, just order another!:D

LOL! Thanks for the update! When we were aboard the Mercury last year, that was not the case (a check was always presented and pen provided for signature because of the line for additional gratuity). I stand corrected.

I respect what you say. If it ain't broke - don't fix it. Still, remember the poet:

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines..."

I was concerned that we would be disappointed with X after HAL, but then I thought i would be unhappy with HAL after Cunard. That made it a lot easier to sail Azamara, which is an overwhelmingly terrific line.

I do understand if you stick with HAL. Should a terrific itinerary come up at a great price on X though...I would ask that you not rule it out completely.

Smooth sailing to you...

LOL! Thanks for the update! When we were aboard the Mercury last year, that was not the case (a check was always presented and pen provided for signature because of the line for additional gratuity). I stand corrected.

Mercury was one of the ships!!!!!!!!!!! We sailed her 11/29 to 12/11 last year. We would book her again in an instant, wonderful cruise!!! The drink package was new earlier in the year, maybe the kinks were not worked out yet? The crew was excellent and she will be sadly missed!

Come on Hal, use Baltimore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Whether or not the perks offered by one line are better than the other depends on the individual, I think. Minor note: the laundry allowance for Celebrity is not unlimited. Neither is internet allowance, although 90 minutes is generous.

You failed to note that the HAL 4 star perks require 200 cruise day credits. You can get the Celebrity perks after sailing 10 cruises which would be 70 days if they were mininium 7 day cruises in a non suite cabin. It is almost three times harder to get to 4 star Mariner.

Celebrity has the more generous program because in addition to what they give it takes a lot less cruises to get them. I don't decide though only based on the perks. Can't really buy my loyalty that easy:-) As I mentioned I have two HAL cruises booked and none on Celebrity this year.

You failed to note that the HAL 4 star perks require 200 cruise day credits.

10 cruises on Celebrity? You can be Elite on Celebrity after only 4 cruises. If you book a Suite (or concierge or Aqua clas) you get an extra point, and if you cruise is 12 nights or longer you get an extra point. You need 10 points. Right now they also also combining Azamara and Celebrity points. We have 8 points after 3 Celebrity cruises and one Azamara cruise. And our Celebrity cruises have been 3 nights, 4 nights, and 5 nights only.

You failed to note that the HAL 4 star perks require 200 cruise day credits. You can get the Celebrity perks after sailing 10 cruises which would be 70 days if they were mininium 7 day cruises in a non suite cabin. It is almost three times harder to get to 4 star Mariner.

Celebrity has the more generous program because in addition to what they give it takes a lot less cruises to get them. I don't decide though only based on the perks. Can't really buy my loyalty that easy:-) As I mentioned I have two HAL cruises booked and none on Celebrity this year.

Yes but if you book a Superior Verandah Suite or higher with HAL you get double days and for every $300.00 you spend you get a day so basically you could get 21 days for a 7 days cruise or 30 days for a 10 day cruise. So with 10 cruises doing the max you could easily be at 4 star in 10 cruises or if you do longer cruises you would be there in less. I just gained 28 days in my last two 7 day cruises and was not in a Suite in the first one and and could easily gain 38 on my next, so to achieve the 4 star level it can easily be done in 10 cruises or less.

I just thought of another difference (and if I'm wrong please let me know). :)

When we were looking for longer European itineraries (21-35 day range) we didn't see anything with Celebrity other than transatlantic.

We couldn't find anything longer than 13-14 days. :confused: HAL has some wonderful itineraries that are longer without doing a transatlantic. We were hoping to do some comparison shopping. Anyone have any insight?

[SIZE=3]I honestly think when it gets down to it, it is the cruise line that brings the passengers back not their rewards program. I definitely do not cruise based on a rewards program. Because of my career I actually have a Black Princess Captain's Circle card, they have some excellent perks but in all honesty I do not see a Princess cruise in my near future. I even have a free Princess cruise coming to me and will not take it. I also paid full price for the Princess Mini Suite I was in and have paid full price on each and every cruise I take.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I spent the last two years away from HAL cruising on various cruise lines. Some were very good like Celebrity and oddly enough I found their parent line to be the very bottom of the cruise line chain with NCL being far better. I have now had two HAL cruises and for me HAL just works. I am glad there are so many cruise lines out there so we have the different options. We all look for different things when we choose our cruise vacation, thankfully it is not a cookie cutter world :D I will definitely return to NCL and more than likely return to Celebrity but even if I had 10 cruises with Celebrity their past passenger perks are not what would bring me to them. Our next HAL cruise in October we will hit our 200 days (would have been there long ago if I had not been checking out the other cruise lines:rolleyes: ) while the extra perks will be good I cruise HAL because I really like HAL over the other cruise lines. I find their food to be excellent, cabins larger with full bathtubs (not a phone booth shower which I absolutely hate and do not always want to spend the money for a suite to get a bathtub) I prefer Elemis bath products (NCL and Crystal are the only other cruise lines that offer this) I love the comfortable beds HAL has and the number one reason that I keep coming back to HAL is the Officers and Crew. NCL was truly the only other cruise line that came close in this area. HAL could totally take away their Mariner program and I would still chose them first.[/SIZE]

[quote name='iancal']Just about every cruise line has a more generous reward program for frequent cruises-not just Celebrity.[/quote]

Depends on how one defines "generous." For example, if half of those aboard ship qualify for "priority tender service" because they are "elite" after 3 cruises, is that really "generous" or is that just normal procedure disguised as a perk? How is that a "reward" for frequent cruising?

Celebrity offers free drinks during happy hour at a set place and time each evening. Holland America offers 50% off wine and other beverages at any time. Which is more "generous?" Depends on the person, I think.

Celebrity offers laundry and pressing subject to limitations. HAL 4* Mariners get both without limitations.

Celebrity offers elite members the opportunity to make reservations for specialty restaurants prior to sailing. Any HAL passenger can already reserve specialty restaurants long before sailing. HAL also gives 50% off specialty restaurant reservations to their 4* Mariners.

I'm not saying Celebrity's elite perks are bad or worthless, or that HAL's are the best thing since sliced bread. I am saying that, other than being potentially easier to attain, IMO the benefits are neither more "generous" or valuable to a frequent cruiser. (The operative word here being "opinion.") YMMV - looks like it does.

No matter what their perks, based on the comments I've read by those who talk about them, most elite programs don't secure all that much in the way of brand loyalty. For most people, it seems that itinerary, cost, and the ship remain far more important.

[quote name='LAFFNVEGAS'][SIZE=3]Yes but if you book a Superior Verandah Suite or higher with HAL you get double days and for every $300.00 you spend you get a day so basically you could get 21 days for a 7 days cruise or 30 days for a 10 day cruise. So with 10 cruises doing the max you could easily be at 4 star in 10 cruises or if you do longer cruises you would be there in less. I just gained 28 days in my last two 7 day cruises and was not in a Suite in the first one and and could easily gain 38 on my next, so to achieve the 4 star level it can easily be done in 10 cruises or less. [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

On Celebrity you get an extra credit for not only suites, but concierge class and aqua spa class. Plus another credit for cruises over 12 days. You can get three credits one sailing. So you can get to elite on Celebrity with less than 10 cruises too. It is definitely easier to get perks on Celebrity than HAL.

[quote name='Charles4515']On Celebrity you get an extra credit for not only suites, but concierge class and aqua spa class. Plus another credit for cruises over 12 days. You can get three credits one sailing. So you can get to elite on Celebrity with less than 10 cruises too. It is definitely easier to get perks on Celebrity than HAL.[/quote]

[SIZE=3]Yes but if over all I really prefer HAL it really does not matter does it :D[/SIZE]

[quote name='LAFFNVEGAS'][SIZE=3]Yes but if over all I really prefer HAL it really does not matter does it :D[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

The question was about concrete differences HAL vs. Celebrity, not what you prefer or what I prefer :D I don't know what the other person might prefer.

[quote name='Charles4515']The question was about concrete differences HAL vs. Celebrity, not what you prefer or what I prefer :D I don't know what the other person might prefer.[/quote]
[SIZE=3]Well like most threads on CC this thread has taken on it's own life and has moved slightly off topic. But the Past passenger perks should really not be a factor in answering the question that the OP asked. [/SIZE]

[quote name='LAFFNVEGAS'][SIZE=3]Well like most threads on CC this thread has taken on it's own life and has moved slightly off topic. But the Past passenger perks should really not be a factor in answering the question that the OP asked. [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

That is up to her to decide. She asked for concrete differences. She did not indicate what would be a factor in answering the question. I met the lady on the Westerdam and I don't know what would be a factor.

We are booked for a 34 day South American cruise on HAL this fall.
We book steerage and hope for an upgrade. This is our longest cruise on HAL the other being the Voyage of the Vikings for 17 days.
HAL is really set up for longer cruising. The Culinary Arts center for free cooking classes and $25 for a small 6 person class. The libraries are far and away the best. They have bridge instructors for longer cruises.
And don't forget the stuff everything in the bag laundry service.
We were on Oceania this summer, France and Spain, and fights were breaking out over laundry machines. With the current bag restrictions no body is bringing lots of clothes. The libraries on Celebrity are pathetic.
We also we had a Titanic expert on the Voyage of the Vikings plus opera singers from Covent Garden. [I]It is definitly a cruise line that is more sophisticated in my humble opinion.[/I]

Archived