Enchantment

I've been reading comments on other boards about the Enchantment and I'm a little worried. I have never been on this ship and am reading that there are all kinds of plumbing issues, smells, etc.

Anyone recently sail on her that can give me any insight?

I know it's an older ship, which I don't have a problem with, but I don't want the maintenance crew to take up residence in my cabin either!

Any help is much appreciated.

Liz

you'll hear a complaint or two about any ship.

You hear the few complaints, but not the thousands who had a great cruise.

If all there was were plumbing problems, bad smells, etc, no one would cruise on it. Not to worry. Go for it.

We were on last June for 9 nights with no problems. Enjoyed it so much we just booked a 12-nighter on her for next January! :D

The ship I've heard about re: plumbing issues seems to be the Radiance. But since she's getting a major overhaul done right now, hopefully they'll address those issues instead of just adding a ton of new eateries...;)

In March 2011 we were on the Enchantment for a 12-day cruise. Twice when walking on deck 3 port side from the front elevator lobby to the aft elevator lobby we did encounter a sewage smell about half way down the hall.

Did this this lessen our cruise experience? Not at all. Actually, since returning home we have booked the Enchantment for an August 2011 9-day New England cruise, a February 2012 12-day cruise, and a January 2013 12-day cruise.

The Enchantment is a very nice ship with an excellent crew.

Our only complaint was the acrid smoke that drifted through several public areas throughout the cruise. We were able to take alternative floors to avoid some of it but in some places such as the Viking Crown it was unavoidable.

Here's what I said on my "Live" thread in response to a smimlar question. Bottom line for me was just a few quite trivial issues on a well maintained ship.

The Enchantment is an older ship but I thought it was very well maintained despite a few minor issues.

1. There is a vita course on deck 10. There are 2 benches for situps. One of the boards on one of these benches was broken. It was still broken at the end of the cruise, I expect that repair will take a custom made part. I only saw the benches used once, and the person showed no problem using the good bench.

2. The backing of my medicine cabinet mirror was a bit ragged. No problem, just looked a bit strange when the door was open.

3. I found one instance of peeling paint, on the grating under the clear section of the floor on deck 9 starboard. The grate appeared to be galvanized and was not rusting. I suspect that it's extremely difficult to reach it except in drydock.

4. The one thing that was a bit annoying was the safe. It was the old style that is opened with a credit card rather than a pin. I was wishing I had taken an expired credit card or hotel key to use with the safe.

I saw occasional plumbing problems in the toilets but they appeared to be routine blockages and were always put back in service promptly. It could happen on a brand new ship. I never saw or heard of any problems with air conditioning or other significant mechanical issues.

This isn't the newest or glitziest ship but I thought it was well maintained and in very good shape. It is slated for drydock in 2012, so I would say RCI is fully committed to it's continuing service.

Roy

Here's a link to the thread where this came up.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29266652&postcount=86

Roy

Michele:

You kill me.:D Thanks for the postings. Since we are going on the Enchantment on July 23rd, your posts are extremely helpful. We are going with the kids, but we will not visit the Solarium with them:p. My wife & I already booked Chops and cannot wait. I am looking forward to the "Angels".

What should we not miss in Bermuda? My wife has picked the crystal caves and of course Horseshoe Beach. Also, did you eat in Bermuda? I love trying local food and restaurants. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not technically advanced enough to post my review, but it's in Member's reviews...

on the 4/16/11 sailing, our GS and my sister's RFS had "low vacuum" issues. The flush would sometimes happen as long a half hour after actually pushing the button. And one day our toilet overflowed (if I was technically advanced I'd put the "oh no" icon here). Maintenance (and I talked to several) said this was a "normal" blockage from some other cruiser putting tons of wet wipes in the toilet. Hey, someone else came to clean it up, that doesn't happen in my house<G>

All that being said, I had an excellent time and would sail the Enchantment again. I mention all this only because, if this would bother you enormously, you should know, or maybe avoid deck 8, or the full suites.

happy cruising,

el henry

rafinmd - to address your issues -- our safe had a code lock. Had to punch it in all week. We had an inside on deck 8. The one exercise bench was still broken because I mentioned it when we went to the Jump Zone (didn't matter to me since I wouldn't be doing inverted sit ups on this cruise - HA!). We didn't have any cabin issues at all. Except for the low toilet pressure on our port day. The entire ship had the same issue (noticed it in the public bathrooms as well) Pat said that Jewel had the same issue when she was in port.

TPKeller from this board stayed on Deck 2 and we asked him while onboard if he had any "sewer smell issues", he said no at the time. Maybe he will see this and update.

Backstreets -- I didn't eat while I was in Bermuda because frankly -- I didn't have time. :eek: I am going back in October and I didn't want to experience things without my family. So I saved many things for my next trip. I can tell you that everyone was talking about the caves AND the glass bottom boat tour -- that seemed to be a huge hit. For food, just pub food, everyone liked the Swizzle Inn.

I will be cruising on Enchantment again June 15th. I also cruised the ship Feb 28th to March 12. 12 day Southern Caribbean. I had problems on deck 3 and put it on CC for people to be aware. I put my room number and the nature of the problems. I don't know why but people came out , well I was on deck 8 or deck 9 and I never saw any problems, people are always complaining,( I said deck 3 and gave area of problem).

I find most people are honest and alert cruisers to a problem. If you do have problem area alert service deck and hotel director. My complaint was handle very good and I was compensated. I have no complaints with RCL and if you are reasonable with your approach it will be handled.

Went on the Enchantment om May 19. It is a great ship!! I was in an AFT Jr. Suite on deck 8 and had no smells. After reading a lot of post and reviews prior to going I didn't know what to expect but the Enchantment exceeded all my expectations. The crew are very friendly and helpful. It was a great cruise!!!

We were also sailing on Enchantment May 19th Aft JS 7th deck. My sister had a room aft 4th deck. No issues of sewage smells in either room but I did smell some faintly on and off in the area of the Centrum. Like another poster mentioned earlier, it wasn't enough to ruin the cruise. :D The only issue we had was soot on our balcony when we returned from San Juan but the room steward washed it off the next morning. We had a great time sailing on Enchantment and would sail again in a heartbeat. ;)

I love the Enchantment. We spent a total of 19 days on board this past March/April. We did have some odor in the Centrum on some of those days--did it affect our cruise, not at all. We would walk by on our way to our room and say something like "there is less of a smell or more of a smell today" and keep on going.

The crew on board the Enchantment are top-notch. They are especially friendly and kind.

Here is a little hint, I have seen many people complain about the items on the desk (coke, water, etc). Your room attendant is not responsible for this, it comes from the bar service. I can't stand them taking up room also. In most of the rooms that has a couch in it, you can pull toward you, one of the bottom sections. It is a drawer. I take all the junk from the desk and put it in that drawer. I then leave a note on the mirror letting them know where the items are located.:)

What cabin were you in on Deck 3? We're sailing in February, 2012 and are on Deck 3. Thanks for the info.:D

We were in room 3021, This problem affected only several rooms in the particular area. I called RCI after getting home and they assured me the problem had been fixed. I wouldn't worry , all I want for people to be aware of is that problems do exist at times and you should try to get them fixed.

Archived