A Phone Call and an E-mail just for looking at the website?

warmwinds

I'm on the Celebrity website quite often, looking at new possibilities, what I already have booked, etc. Today for the first time I had a PHONE CALL (message left) from a CVP saying he had noticed I had looked at the website and did I have any questions, plus an e-mail asking the same.

NO THANK YOU!

If I have a question, I'll call you. I hope this is not a new creepy policy (and yes I understand it's the world of today) but I didn't care for it one bit.

I guess, if I stretched it, I could see how this could be a minor invasion of privacy, but it sounds like good customer service to me. Obviously, you have given them your phone number and email address in the past - correct?

If they were trying to sell something, I might be as offended as you seem to be. But seeing as they were just making a follow-up phone call, not so much.

BTW, I go to their website probably 5-6 times per week, and have called CS twice in the past month, and this hasn't happened to me.

I agree. I find it very intrusive. Last week I discovered that Celebrity was setting cookies in my browser that showed me a higher price than my cabin was. They have some way of knowing how many times you are on their site and they control what you see.

I use Firefox as a browser and now when I co to their web site, I use "Private Browsing" I believe Chrome has a similar thing. I also make sure that there are no cookies for Celebrity or Royal Caribbean which is also setting cookies from visits to the X site.

I'm on the Celebrity website quite often, looking at new possibilities, what I already have booked, etc. Today for the first time I had a PHONE CALL (message left) from a CVP saying he had noticed I had looked at the website and did I have any questions, plus an e-mail asking the same.

NO THANK YOU!

If I have a question, I'll call you. I hope this is not a new creepy policy (and yes I understand it's the world of today) but I didn't care for it one bit.

How did they get your phone number......Seems like there might have been a little complictiy here on your part....

I agree. I find it very intrusive. Last week I discovered that Celebrity was setting cookies in my browser that showed me a higher price than my cabin was. They have some way of knowing how many times you are on their site and they control what you see.

I use Firefox as a browser and now when I co to their web site, I use "Private Browsing" I believe Chrome has a similar thing. I also make sure that there are no cookies for Celebrity or Royal Caribbean which is also setting cookies from visits to the X site.

I use Firefox but I have been successful in quite a few instances in finding price reductions. Your statement would seem to make that impossible. I don't doubt you, but I would like to know how you discovered that? If it is true, it is certainly disturbing and possibly illegal (certainly immoral, but then big business frequently is).

Not sure I completely understand what you are saying but could it perhaps be that the price of the cruise has actually increased?

Look at it on some 3rd party websites.

I use Firefox but I have been successful in quite a few instances in finding price reductions. Your statement would seem to make that impossible. I don't doubt you, but I would like to know how you discovered that? If it is true, it is certainly disturbing and possibly illegal (certainly immoral, but then big business frequently is).

I was away from home and had my netbook with me. I got an email from a service I subscribe to alerting me to the price drop. I checked it on the netbook and it was true. I called X and they gave it to me. Saved $400 and did a 'happy dance'.

Fast forward 2 weeks. I am home on my usual desk top which had been turned off with no power while I was away. I go to check the price (the service does not alert me to residency and 55+ sales) and the price is back up to what it was before I left home. Okay. I figure I got a bargain. It happens. I was using my usual browser, Firefox.

One day I am using Chrome to browse and I go to X's site and my cruise is now at the lower price that I had gotten on the drop. I switch back to my usual browser and the price is showing $200 pp higher, what it was before the drop.

Something is strange. I clear the cache, but the two browsers are still showing different prices. I clear the cookies and now both browsers are showing the lower, correct current price.

I am not making this up. I can't come up with any other reason why I would be seeing one price on my default browser that I was using to check prices daily. My browsing history is cleared every day.

I now check the price while using "private browsing" The site sets 2 folders of cookies. One is from X and one from Royal after I browse.

If someone can come up with an alternate theory as to why I was seeing a higher price than the current offer until I cleared the cookies X and RCI set, I'd love to hear it.

Haven't you noticed how those little advertisements blocks always seem to advertise what you were previously looking at.

Before our last cruise I was checking out some watch sites as I was and am always interested in fine watches. Those little ads now advertise a watch website.

The same thing happens when I search a a certain travel search site. Those little blocks have X's website.

The spy's are watching and keeping track.

The reason they have my phone and e-mail is because I've cruised with them many times, and have a cruise currently booked, so all my info is there. No "complicity". They put many opportunities to ask for help on their website...things like "call us if you have any questions", "click here for live chat", etc. It should be left at that. It wasn't a phone call about our upcoming cruise, he specifically said "we saw that you were on the website, and wanted to know if you had any questions".

I agree that it's not just because you already cruise with X. I had a similar experience happen to me with Norweign. I have never sailed with them before and yet after I went on their website, I got an email and a phone call saying the same thing "we saw that you were on our website, it there something we can help you with?". I find that somewhat disturbing.

The reason they have my phone and e-mail is because I've cruised with them many times, and have a cruise currently booked, so all my info is there. No "complicity". They put many opportunities to ask for help on their website...things like "call us if you have any questions", "click here for live chat", etc. It should be left at that. It wasn't a phone call about our upcoming cruise, he specifically said "we saw that you were on the website, and wanted to know if you had any questions".

I've had sights...like expedia type sites...that have emailed me and said, I see you have searched for something but didn't book, please come back and book or contact us if you need any further information...but never a call.

Archived