iPad rental

robgvic

I was on the Crown's Transatlantic in May and they were renting IPads for $5 a day or $25 a week. I don't know if this is on all ships but thought you would be interested.

I assume that, in addition to the rental fees, you would have to pay for the internet minutes, as well... :( Since I am not Platinum yet... But that would be wonderful to have on the Golden to Hawaii.

Thanks for the info!

I was on the Crown's Transatlantic in May and they were renting IPads for $5 a day or $25 a week. I don't know if this is on all ships but thought you would be interested.

I would love this, but not to use for internet. What I'd like would be to learn it and then see if I need to buy one.

I agree with you Pia. Only today I was looking at them. I cannot decide whether to buy an Iphone, an Ipod or an Ipad. My problem is that I am a really fast touch typist and find it hard to cope with just finger typing. It would be fantastic to have one to play with to see how I cope.

We, too, were on the Crown T/A and saw the iPads advertised for rent and wondered what they would charge. I think the rental price is great especially as some mentioned to see if they would like to own an iPad. I have one (and used it on the crossing) and absolutely love it. I have a desk top computer at home that I work on during the day and we also own a laptop, but this little iPad is the best thing since sliced bread!!!!.

I check things in the morning when I'm having my breakfast and we use it all the time in the evenings, to check e-mails, look through Cruise Critic, look up something that peaked our curiosity on the TV. I've got books downloaded, family and vacation photos uploaded/downloaded (? I never know which it is...) and some neat games. It just saves going upstairs to the computer room/office, which I would really not bother to do, after being on the computer all day.

But can you play Angry Birds? :p

Folks, I just got an iPad and it is basically an internet tool. You can watch movies on it, play music and keep pictures. Don't think of it as a "computer" but an internet device. Surfing, Facebook, email, calendar, etc...

I just got the Gen 1 iPad for my birthday. I looked at the iPad 2 and it was nice but we got a killer deal on an iPad 3g with 64 gigs of memory for something like $575. (PC Mall) I think this was north of $800 before the new one released.

Very good deal to rent an Ipad.

DH bought me one for Christmas and I took it on our last cruise and it was fantastic.

Great for checking email and I downloaded a few e-books...also fits in the safe perfectly.

The only think I don't like about it is the restrictions Apple has about software....they don't allow flash, adobe, etc., which locks you out of viewing lots of website information.

Example: I can't use my Ipad to search cruises or watch video on the princess website. Wish Princess would get an Ipad app.

Very good deal to rent an Ipad.

DH bought me one for Christmas and I took it on our last cruise and it was fantastic.

Great for checking email and I downloaded a few e-books...also fits in the safe perfectly.

The only think I don't like about it is the restrictions Apple has about software....they don't allow flash, adobe, etc., which locks you out of viewing lots of website information.

Example: I can't use my Ipad to search cruises or watch video on the princess website. Wish Princess would get an Ipad app.

Don't know who did what, but the Ipad now works to search for Cruises on the Princess site. I do agree with you, it didn't used to.

Not being very tech savvy...but interested in the idea of renting the ipad to try out...can you clarify if, aside from renting or bringing your ipad, must you also purchase their internet package? Last time we cruised it was very expensive...but perhaps with an ipad more worth it. I guess when you go ashore and take your ipad you just have to find a free wifi spot..right? Thanks in advance for tutoring me on this!!

I agree with you Pia. Only today I was looking at them. I cannot decide whether to buy an Iphone, an Ipod or an Ipad. My problem is that I am a really fast touch typist and find it hard to cope with just finger typing. It would be fantastic to have one to play with to see how I cope.

There is a wireless full size keyboard that apple sells. works great. Maybe not for a cruise. but it's a great addition to having an I-Pad.....:):):)

Bob

Folks, I just got an iPad and it is basically an internet tool. You can watch movies on it, play music and keep pictures. Don't think of it as a "computer" but an internet device. Surfing, Facebook, email, calendar, etc...

I just got the Gen 1 iPad for my birthday. I looked at the iPad 2 and it was nice but we got a killer deal on an iPad 3g with 64 gigs of memory for something like $575. (PC Mall) I think this was north of $800 before the new one released.

It's a lot more than that.....:):):)

Bob

While I agree it is not a computer but the things you mention that one can do on ipad (surfing, facebook, email, calendar) are what a good percentage of people do on their computer (and subsequently ipad)....

Not being very tech savvy...but interested in the idea of renting the ipad to try out...can you clarify if, aside from renting or bringing your ipad, must you also purchase their internet package? Last time we cruised it was very expensive...but perhaps with an ipad more worth it. I guess when you go ashore and take your ipad you just have to find a free wifi spot..right? Thanks in advance for tutoring me on this!!

Yes, you must have an Internet package. If you are Platinum level you get a number of free minutes (but you still have to signup for them inboard)

Yes, on shore I usually use the free wifi at the hotel.

I must say, I didn't find the iPad very intuitive. My daughter tutored me in the fine points of navigating through its capabilities. :)

And I'm getting better at using what I call the two finger keyboard.

Don't know who did what, but the Ipad now works to search for Cruises on the Princess site. I do agree with you, it didn't used to.

Thank you.

Hope Princess is working on an app because I would like to be able to have full access to their information (video, deck plans) on my iPad.

I'd just go ahead and get an iPad. They are wonderful and will be even better when IOS 5 is available soon. I also have an iMac and MacBook pro and iPhone and then when iCloud is released everything will be automatically kept in sync. Cant wait. Oh and get Angry Birds on it as well :D

Not true. Many of us work on spreadsheets (in the Numbers app), do writing or page layout (in the Pages app) and work on presentations (in the Keynote app).

A friend of mine is an IT guy and logs on to his server via a VPN connection, he can monitor its status and even change settings.

The iPad is a computer in every sense of the word.

Not true. Many of us work on spreadsheets (in the Numbers app), do writing or page layout (in the Pages app) and work on presentations (in the Keynote app).

A friend of mine is an IT guy and logs on to his server via a VPN connection, he can monitor its status and even change settings.

The iPad is a computer in every sense of the word.

Without a mouse how do you utilize programs like Photoshop Elements or for that matter can you even install Photoshop Elements on it? I'm getting the impression that it was developed for internet, email, reader etc. applications only.

Without a mouse how do you utilize programs like Photoshop Elements or for that matter can you even install Photoshop Elements on it? I'm getting the impression that it was developed for internet, email, reader etc. applications only.

As with everything else..there's an App for that ;) Photoshop Express comes to mind. There's 100s of photo apps available.

Doesn't anyone use a small netbook anymore?

Yes, I use my netbook. It goes everywhere with me and I never go into the ship's internet cafe anymore.

However, I would be interested in learning to use the IPad, so if rental availability was on board, that would just be an extra perk for me.

Archived