Alaska....what to pack? Weather?

Ariel35

Hi,

I leave for Alaska in less than 48 hours! I am not packed! Does anyone have any tips as to what to pack (besides the essentials). Has anyone just come back? What was the weather like? How cold?

Thanks!

Hi,

I leave for Alaska in less than 48 hours! I am not packed! Does anyone have any tips as to what to pack (besides the essentials). Has anyone just come back? What was the weather like? How cold?

Thanks!

Pack layers. T-shirt, sweater or sweatshirt, rainjacket-you can always peel off a layer.

Weather can change there in a minute, so be prepared. I always throw in gloves and a cap, and especially near the glaciers, they have come in handy.

On the other hand, on the same trip we have sat at the pool. So be prepared for anything.

Hi, also remember it rains in Alaska on a regular basis. Bring a poncho.

I agree with Peteymil, layering is the best way to pack.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise:)

I was in Alaska Inside Passage about two weeks ago. Temperature was usually in the upper 50's. One day it was around 70 degrees and I was rolling up my pant legs while sitting in the sun on our balcony. While in port, I usually had on a t-shirt, sweater, light jacket and jeans. Near the glaciers, I needed to add a scarf, gloves and hat. It never rained on us in Alaska, just in Victoria briefly.

Don't forget your sunscreen! And a good pair of binoculars.

Hi,

Thanks!

The key is to layer. Alaska weather can change from hour to hour. Pack for it being sunny and warm, overcast and windy and rainy and cool. On deck when you are viewing the glaciers it will be very chilly. Long pants and shorts and long sleeve shirts and short sleeve top and a sweater or sweatshirt and a fleece and jacket are good ideas.

Keith

We got back on June 3 - no rain the entire 7 days -- 79 in Juneau and 72 in Skagway. Other ports were in the 50s. So, as others have said - layers are the answer because you really can't predict what kind of weather you'll encounter. ENJOY - it was beautiful!

Marianne

Archived