Whales in late April...........any chance??

STEVE-O

I know the humpbacks leave for Alaska in late spring........What are our chances of seeing enough of them in late April to justify the $$$ for a whale-watching excursion?

We're looking at going with the Pacific Whale Foundation......Any of you have any review of their tours??

Thanks......

What about early October? Anyone seen humpbacks in route to Hawaii from LA?

They don't start arriving until late October or early Nov. You might see some immediately out of LA, but those are heading to Mexico, not Hawaii. In Hawaii, they don't even start doing whale watching tours until Dec 15, usually.

• 1 month later...
I know the humpbacks leave for Alaska in late spring........What are our chances of seeing enough of them in late April to justify the $$$ for a whale-watching excursion?

We're looking at going with the Pacific Whale Foundation......Any of you have any review of their tours??

Thanks......

Couple of years ago we did Captain Steve's Dolphin Snorkel tour out to Lanai... he told us up front don't expect to see any whales as it was late April... We saw tons!! the were pretty shocked. I've done a lot of whale watching tours and we saw more on this dolphin snorkle than any other time. So you never know!!

Hi Steve. The humpbacks take about a month to get to Alaska, most are migrated by third week of May, but there can be late leaving ones, that you may get a look at. But, I would not book any tour in advance, call the day before and ask what the sighting stats were that day. Of course, doing a snorkel trip with a whale watch "add on" is a good option. :)

Thanks......

If you are arriving via a cruise ship during daylight hours, I wouldn't be surprised if you saw a number of whales in Hawaiian waters before you dock. We're boaters and every year, we see more and more whales and they seem to stick around longer and longer. On Oahu, it is even possible to see whales from shore vantage points like Diamond Head, the Makapuu Light house and the Lanai lookout. Why pay all that money with no guarantee of seeing anything for something you may be able to see for free?

Archived