Gastro Illness Now on Eurodam

Spinner2

June 13. There is Gastro illness here aboard the Eurodam consistent with NORO symptoms. My DH came down with it in the night, despite the fact that we wash hands and Purell at every opportunity, even taking some of the Virox cloths from the computer area with us on bus tours since you have to touch the railings and such on those after you've washed at the washrooms and using them to wipe down our hands after we've sat down in our seats and put on the seat belts.

But 2 days ago a woman was sick on the all-day tour; we made an extra stop to get additional water for her; she spent most of the trip back either in the bus bathroom or lying across the back seat. We were seated about 2 rows in front of the bus bathroom. We found out about the ship-wide illness on the ship (the first day, more than 20 cabins is what we heard) when we returned from this trip. As of two nights ago the ship went to Code Red precautions but there was hope that it was very isolated; perhaps people on a tour had shared a common food that was the problem. It's clear now that's not the problem.

And yesterday a man sat near us on a tour saying he was alone because his wife has it--but he wasn't isolated along with her, for some reason.

Sometimes it seems unavoidable! I don't know what else we could be doing, or could have done. So far I'm ok; we'll see if that continues.

June 13. There is Gastro illness here aboard the Eurodam consistent with NORO symptoms. My DH came down with it in the night, despite the fact that we wash hands and Purell at every opportunity, even taking some of the Virox cloths from the computer area with us on bus tours since you have to touch the railings and such on those after you've washed at the washrooms and using them to wipe down our hands after we've sat down in our seats and put on the seat belts.

But 2 days ago a woman was sick on the all-day tour; we made an extra stop to get additional water for her; she spent most of the trip back either in the bus bathroom or lying across the back seat. We were seated about 2 rows in front of the bus bathroom. We found out about the ship-wide illness on the ship (the first day, more than 20 cabins is what we heard) when we returned from this trip. As of two nights ago the ship went to Code Red precautions but there was hope that it was very isolated; perhaps people on a tour had shared a common food that was the problem. It's clear now that's not the problem.

And yesterday a man sat near us on a tour saying he was alone because his wife has it--but he wasn't isolated along with her, for some reason.

Sometimes it seems unavoidable! I don't know what else we could be doing, or could have done. So far I'm ok; we'll see if that continues.

I will say a little prayer for you guys!!!

That's too bad. I hope you avoid it and your dh recovers quickly. If the sick people would just stay in their cabins it would really help in these situations.

We had noro on the NA and only the sick people were quarantined. The spouses/partners/people sharing the cabin were still allowed to roam the ship. :confused: hope this passes quickly. It's not fun.

Sorry to hear your DH became ill, Spinner, and hope you remain Noro free.

Frequent hand washing is really the best protection but sometimes even that won't work.

Did Eurodam do Code Orange when you boarded? Did it last two days?

Hopefully your DH recovers quickly, you stay well and you enjoy the rest of your cruise.

That's too bad. I hope you avoid it and your dh recovers quickly. If the sick people would just stay in their cabins it would really help in these situations.

We had noro on the NA and only the sick people were quarantined. The spouses/partners/people sharing the cabin were still allowed to roam the ship. :confused: hope this passes quickly. It's not fun.

On our last cruise in April we had an outbreak which affected plenty of people. What was odd, though, is that although we met plenty of people who had been ill, we didn't meet anyone where more than one person in the cabin/party had caught it.

I got it a couple of days in, but my wife and daughter were fine, despite being in very close contact. We did everything we could regarding hygiene as well. It's obviously very infectious, but doesn't seem to spread easily just by contact with others.

I have a lowered immune system and wondered if this particular strain was less infectious than usual - just picking off those people who were particularly susceptible.

I can recommend it for weight loss, but sadly didn't need that particular side effect.............Also, I'd recommend not getting it on the coach to Cairo for a day trip........

Yuck! Good luck to you, here's hoping your immune system is strong!

I was on the sailing before Kazu on the Nieuw Amsterdam, and while we didn't have noro, we had a horrible cold that went around which took me down for a bit but not my boyfriend. I wasn't so sick that I couldn't be out and about, but it certainly puts a damper on your cruise when you come down with something! I tend to think that my immune system is a bit low due to all my allergies always causing my immune system to be in overdrive, so when actual invaders come, I think there's nobody left to fight the good fight lol.

Try to stay healthy! I'm sure the Eurodam is a lovely ship!

Darn it. AFAIK, up until now, the Eurodam had never had a problem with Noro-the only ship going out of Port Everglades that had never had an outbreak. That streak got broken. Let's hope it stays that way after this cruise!

When I saw this thread my first thought was "Jason's (the CD) going to be p.o.'d -- he can't brag about that anymore!"

Speedy recovery to your DH!

I groan when I read the 'out and about' business. One person is sick and doesn't want to 'waste' a day of their cruise so they aren't so sick they can't go out and about......

They are about the business of spreading it around to many others. :(

If they stayed put in their cabin, sadly they would miss a day or two of their cruise, but would be thinking of others and not spread it like wildfire all around the ship.

JMO.........

I groan when I read the 'out and about' business. One person is sick and doesn't want to 'waste' a day of their cruise so they aren't so sick they can't go out and about......

They are about the business of spreading it around to many others. :(

If they stayed put in their cabin, sadly they would miss a day or two of their cruise, but would be thinking of others and not spread it like wildfire all around the ship.

JMO.........

exactly Judy - one of our friends started to feel sick on the NA and he went straight to his cabin and reported. He did the right thing (we didn't get sick)

But I saw way too many who didn't. The nurse even told me that was the whole reason it couldn't be brought under control:(

It's the same pattern with upper respiratory and Noro cases.

They don't think of everyone else. Once they feel decent enough to drag themselves out their cabin door, off they go. No thought to how contagious they are. Next thing we know, the whole ship is sniffling and coughing or sick with Noro symptoms. I've been on so many cruises when I've seen this happen.

Not very nice IMO

When I saw this thread my first thought was "Jason's (the CD) going to be p.o.'d -- he can't brag about that anymore!"

Speedy recovery to your DH!

LOL Jason *was* very proud of that fact.:D

I have to say, I have cruised with HAL twice, and once was on the Oosterdam *after* they had had a outbreak of Noro(and we were delayed boarding because the whole ship had to be cleaned). I don't worry about it, and won't on any future cruises.

Yea, he was bragging that fact up on my January E. Carib sailing. Too bad for Eurodam but a very good record nevertheless.

DH George got hit with only a very mild case--he threw up once; that was it, altho pretty miserable for some hours before. He's been fine now for almost 24 hours. He went to the infirmary as soon as it opened after he first got sick and was given meds to take if he needed them, told to just drink Gatorade (they supplied) as food for one day. And, if he had no fever (he didn't) and if he felt like going out he was welcome to do so, although repeated instances of illness symptoms would result in them asking him to stay in the cabin. I was told to go about as I pleased since I wasn't sick. So far I'm still just fine.

The infirmary rules aren't what they used to be, it seems, and they have meds that seem quite effective from what I've heard, although we didn't need any of them.

We got another letter today (June 13 pm) saying the problem continues; wash hands, etc. And that there will be no charges for going to infirmary if this is your reason for going. The first letter, later retracted verbally by the captain, said people would be charged for going to the infirmary for gastro symptoms.

We're nearly out of minutes for internet but cruise ends tomorrow. I'll do a review and post pictures when we get back home; it's really been a good cruise.

Marney - enjoy your last day on board and safe travels home. Hopefully you will get a pleasant surprise on the bill. Most infirmary visit fees were waived on our cruise on the NA when everyone was hit. They were initially charged, but then they countermanded it. hope you are both well and safe travels

Archived