Trip Insurance Question

My parents were booked on a cruise that has been cancelled by the cruiseline. They used InsureMyTrip.com and chose AmEx Travel Shield (I think...) to protect their trip.

They obviously don't have a trip to insure at this point. So...does anyone know if it customary to refund the premiums paid on travel insurance when all that's been paid toward the cruise is the deposit and the trip insurance premium? If it was after final payment, I'd know the answer to this ("that's what the insurance is for"), but none of us has ever had a cruise cancelled, much less before final payment.

I know that I need to contact the insurer the for the specifics (I am waiting to see what fleshes out as they rethink their trip) but I'm just looking for other people's experiences. Thanks to anyone who can give any input about it.

Would it be possible for them to transfer the deposit, and the purchased insurance, to another trip? Or, has the deposit already been refunded?

In any case, you might contact the insurance company to get their take on it.

WHen you purchase travel insurance, you are covered for any loss from the date of purchase. The insurer is at risk that entire time and the buyer is paying for that service. Usually, there is a very short window of time in which you may receive a refund (IME, two weeks or less). If it's after that, no refund.

I have always been able to transfer the insurance policy to a different trip when things like this happen. But, as you know, you'll have to check with the insurer.

They are definitely planning to contact the insurer, but I just was looking for other people's experience with this situation.

The deposit hasn't been refunded yet, but it *can* be if they decide not to do something else. They are just not finding a similar trip in a timeframe that works for them, so it may not be possible to reschedule...at least not right now.

Most insurance companies will allow them to transfer the coverage to another trip. Some may allow a refund. They will have to contact the insurance company and ask.

Excellent advice. I know that we haven been able to move insurance from one cruise to another one when we decided to cancel the cruise so the reverse should hold true. As you correctly note best to check with the insurance company.

Keith

Archived