Passport Through Carnival??

mom4travel

I have what is probably an absurd question . . but, one of my husband's co-workers has told him that you can go through Carnival to obtain your passport cheaper . . . I've never heard of such a thing.

My husband and I have passports -- but usually cruise alone. We plan to take two daughters (ages 9 and 11) with us on an upcoming cruise. While I know we need them if we were to have a medical emergency and need to fly home I am having a hard time justifying the extra expense. That is when my husband was told to go through Carnival because the Passports are discounted?? I can't really bring myself to call and personally ask a Carnival Rep unless I thought it was really true!!! :)

Any ideas/help? Or, any other parents who would like to weigh in??

Thanks!

There is no cheaper way to get a passport, the rates are set by the government.

I am not sure, so I'd check with Carnival or the State Department, but I doubt that Carnival is an authorized passport agent, either.

Now, to my opinion (for the very little its worth). If you can financially swing it, I'd go ahead and get the passports. I think that sooner rather than later U.S. citizens will be required to have passports. For now, it may just make your life easier in the long run when traveling. :)

I have what is probably an absurd question . . but, one of my husband's co-workers has told him that you can go through Carnival to obtain your passport cheaper . . . I've never heard of such a thing.

My husband and I have passports -- but usually cruise alone. We plan to take two daughters (ages 9 and 11) with us on an upcoming cruise. While I know we need them if we were to have a medical emergency and need to fly home I am having a hard time justifying the extra expense. That is when my husband was told to go through Carnival because the Passports are discounted?? I can't really bring myself to call and personally ask a Carnival Rep unless I thought it was really true!!! :)

Thanks!

Never heard of such a thing and I've never spoken to anyone who has done this. Perhaps the co-worker was thinking about trip insurance which is available through Carnival and is generally cheaper, but doesn't provide the level of coverage that I want and get through insuremytrip.com

Absurd is an accurate description.

If you think about, how in the world would you be able to apply for a passport through Carnival? You must appear before an authorized agent (for a child both parents and the child must be present) to turn in your paperwork, pay your fees, etc. Makes no sense, and of course, this isn't true.

People say all kinds of crazy things.

Okay, so I feel better that it is not just me who thought it was crazy! But, I have been wrong in the past about things - but from the quantity of people who agreed that was crazy -- it MUST BE!!! :)

Thanks everyone -- and have a good day!

you can get a passport CARD instead of the BOOK which is a lot cheaper. you still have to go through the government though

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/ppt_pptCard.pdf

If you only opt to get the CARD you might as well save your money and just use a birth certificate and drivers license because the card is not worth anything if you need to fly home in case of any emergency.

From Carnival's website:

If you need to obtain a passport quickly, Carnival recommends that you contact ZVS at http://www.zvs.com/carnival or by phone: 1-866-788-1100. Callers should mention that they are sailing on Carnival to receive discounted service fees.

This is for the expedited services only not the cost of the passport itself.

Thanks!

Everyone's answered your passport questions, but do you have travel insurance? Airline tickets purchased a few hours before flight time are very pricey, far more expensive than passports. A $300 insurance policy reimbursed me $2800 for two airline tickets when I had a death in the family while on vacation last summer.

You are not crazy. I found this on the Carnival.com site under frequently asked questions. They are suggesting this web site for a quick passport and the url does have Carnival at the end of it and the web site does have the Carnival logo on the upper right hand corner.

Q. Are passports required?

A. Carnival requires guests to provide proper travel documentation in order to travel. The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory. Non-U.S Citizens must contact the appropriate Consulates, U.S. Embassy and U.S. Immigration office to inquire about necessary travel documentation. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of Immigration requirements.

It is recommended that all guests travel with a valid passport during their cruise. This will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to meet their ship at the first port should they miss their scheduled embarkation and allow guests that must disembark the ship before their cruise ends due to an emergency to fly back to the U.S without significant delays and complications. It is also recommended that all guests travel with a passport valid for at least 6 months beyond completion of travel.

*If you need to obtain a passport quickly, Carnival recommends that you contact ZVS at http://www.zvs.com/carnival or by phone: 1-866-788-1100. Callers should mention that they are sailing on Carnival to receive discounted service fees.

I would call them if you had any questions about the web site. Hope this helps.

ZVS is just a company that processes passport applications and forwards them to the US Passport Agency. They are not Carnival Cruise Lines. They seem very expensive - for a first time passport application, they charge $83 for their processing fee and in addition are charging you $170 for the Government fee. This is no bargain and I'm not sure why anyone would use them.

From their webpage:

ZVS Fees

The following prices are for ZVS’s professional services for the services you have requested. ZVS fees are charged per item. The final cost is determined by the number of business days allowed for processing and the services required to complete your order.

Standard Service (11 or more days) $83.00Rush Surcharge (4 - 10 days) $44.00Emergency Surcharge (1 - 3 days) $90.00

Government Agency Fee

In addition to ZVS's service fees, there are government fees that will be required with your application. These payments will be in the form of personal checks written to the U.S. Department of State, or ZVS will submit payment on your behalf. A 3.5% processing fee is assessed on government agency fees when they are paid by ZVS. Fees for processing services you selected are as follows:

Government Fee $170.00

If you just apply yourself, directly through the US Passport Agency your fees are only $110 for the application fee and $25 for the execution fee. Quite a bit less expensive than ZVS.

It all makes sense now -- that the "zvs company" is just making the process faster and the fast part "discounted" . . . I can now imagine my husband's co-worker's wife telling him that at the last minute they are getting it discounted through Carnival . . .

I needed cheaper -- not faster!! I have time . . .which I guess means time to save up for kiddo's passports!!! :) Just can't seem it is worth the risk to take them w/o. One small accident at Atlantis could mean a huge catastrophe . . .

Oh, and yes I ALWAY ALWAYS purchase insurance - but unfortunately that will not get us on a plane in an emergecy without a passport (unless I am wrong??).

Thanks for all your help today!

mom4travel

You are not crazy. I found this on the Carnival.com site under frequently asked questions. They are suggesting this web site for a quick passport and the url does have Carnival at the end of it and the web site does have the Carnival logo on the upper right hand corner.

Q. Are passports required?

A. Carnival requires guests to provide proper travel documentation in order to travel. The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory. Non-U.S Citizens must contact the appropriate Consulates, U.S. Embassy and U.S. Immigration office to inquire about necessary travel documentation. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of Immigration requirements.

It is recommended that all guests travel with a valid passport during their cruise. This will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to meet their ship at the first port should they miss their scheduled embarkation and allow guests that must disembark the ship before their cruise ends due to an emergency to fly back to the U.S without significant delays and complications. It is also recommended that all guests travel with a passport valid for at least 6 months beyond completion of travel.

*If you need to obtain a passport quickly, Carnival recommends that you contact ZVS at http://www.zvs.com/carnival or by phone: 1-866-788-1100. Callers should mention that they are sailing on Carnival to receive discounted service fees.

I would call them if you had any questions about the web site. Hope this helps.

This is just a company that expidites the process FOR A COST. There is no discount, in fact it is MORE expensive. OP was looking to see if CCL had a discounted rate, they don't.

If in a rush to get a passport, just go to the Post Office. The will see that your application is correct and that you have all required documents (even take your picture if you hadn't got one yet - I would still take the time to go to Walgreens or someplace because they are bit cheaper) and then send it both ways Express Mail - just for the standard cost of of the Passport fee and Express Mail. No additional service fees - cause it is there job to do so.

Please whatever you do, don't waste your money on passport cards!! waste of money! (unless you DRIVE to Canada or Mexico) BC and ID gets you the same thing as another poster said.

I totally agree. There really sems to be no point to the card unless you live along one of the borders and cross frequently, and even then I'd still have a passport. The card was the only thing I know of that's a cheaper form of a passport.

If in a rush to get a passport, just go to the Post Office. The will see that your application is correct and that you have all required documents (even take your picture if you hadn't got one yet - I would still take the time to go to Walgreens or someplace because they are bit cheaper) and then send it both ways Express Mail - just for the standard cost of of the Passport fee and Express Mail. No additional service fees - cause it is there job to do so.

Actually, if you have legitimate reason to get a passport expedited, or just feel like paying double, you can go to your regional passport office and get it done in as little as a few hours. Having the post office mail it "express" just gets the paperwork there a couple of days sooner.

Actually, if you have legitimate reason to get a passport expedited, or just feel like paying double, you can go to your regional passport office and get it done in as little as a few hours. Having the post office mail it "express" just gets the paperwork there a couple of days sooner.

There aren't that many regional passport offices in the country. For some, the expense to get to one could be close to the cost of a vacation.

Please whatever you do, don't waste your money on passport cards!! waste of money! (unless you DRIVE to Canada or Mexico) BC and ID gets you the same thing as another poster said.

But your birth certificate could get wore out using it as a form of ID every time you cross the border or take a cruise to the Caribbean Islands. With the Pass Port ID card, it's plastic, comes in a protective sleeve, won't wear out, and can be carried in your wallet. :D

Archived