How long does it take you to unwind?

Years ago, a TA told me that they can always tell who the Americans were because it always took them a couple of days to relax. Now, I can't vouch for the validity of that observation, but, I did take his comments to heart. Despite all the anxiety that I always feel before a cruise (worrying mostly about "mesh points") I can honestly say that I relax as soon as I get onto the ship.

What about you?

And what parts of travel are the most stressful to you?

Immediately after the life jacket drill! I dodge the folks at the elevators and take the jackets back up the stairs to the cabin while DW finds a table at Crooners and orders us our first glass of wine. The unwinding begins from there!:D

Only stress from then on is trying to get off the ship in time for a shore excursion when the entire boat is doing the same. Most of us follow directions and form lines, but there are others who either "don't notice" the long line of patient people, or think they are "special" and can just push into the front of the line. But that's soon forgotten when we hit the pier!

We are booked on the Golden Princess in November for a 14-day Hawaii cruise. We live close to the port that once all the luggage is in the car and when we pull out of the garage, our unwinding has started.

The most stressful part of the traveling is, getting everything ready, and getting our cat off to the kennel.

Mike

Years ago, a TA told me that they can always tell who the Americans were because it always took them a couple of days to relax. Now, I can't vouch for the validity of that observation, but, I did take his comments to heart. Despite all the anxiety that I always feel before a cruise (worrying mostly about "mesh points") I can honestly say that I relax as soon as I get onto the ship.

What about you?

I unwind as soon as I'm at the port if traveling from a local port or as soon as I'm at the hotel if flying to a port. The thing I stress about the most is thinking about my luggage being delivered to my stateroom. I've cruised 15 times and never had a problem so not sure why I worry about that every cruise.

I unwind after unpacking and the muster drill and I see all the festivities of the Sail -Away party.

Traveling with two kids in tow, the stressful part is the packing and lately, just getting through the airport and hoping our flight isn't delayed or cancelled.

My stress ends once I have all elements booked:

a) Cruise reservations made and stateroom selected.

b) Air (or ground) transportation booked - (always arriving at port at

least one day before sailing).

c) Hotel/motel at port booked for night before cruise (maybe also for

the night after).

Once those details are in place (usually months before cruise), what is there to stress about?

What about you?

I agree with this. That's why I now take 2 week cruises. It usually takes me 2 days to unwind and usually the last 2 days I start getting keyed back up. If its only a seven day cruise that only gives me 3 days of relaxation in the middle. That's way too short. However with a 2 week cruise that leaves me 10 days of relaxation in the middle. That's just right... :p

I relax as soon as I get on the ship. I'm totally relaxed after the muster drill. My most stressful times are the security checkin at the airport and embarkation time on the ship. After that, I'm fine. :D

after i get a little something to eat and start walkin around i am relaxing...

we fly in the night before we cruise so that makes up for no sleep the night before we fly and most of that day travelin.!

only 170 days left:Dtil i be relaxin on the SUN*

If we are flying in, then I am a bit more stressed than usual. On my last cruise the first leg of my flight was delayed over 2 hours by a flat tire on the plane. What a mess. This is why is it a good thing to fly in a day or two early for a cruise. Even if we are driving to the port, I still allow for an extra day.

I relax once I see the ship as we are approaching the cruise terminal. From that point on, nothing bothers me, the lines, the mass of people, having to wait, it is all good since I am going on a cruise. :p The icing on the cake is the "bong" of my ship pass card and the DOTD.

Once I leave home whether by flight, car or train, I'm relaxed. Leaving a day or two earlier alleviates any stress around traveling and rusing or missing flights, connections, etc. The second we're onboard we're relaxed, even though everyone seems thats we're so busy into planning what to do and trying to see everything.

We're most stressed just before leaving home for the cruise (did we bring/forget anything?).

The point at which we "unwind" is just after we clear the boarding formalities and start up the gangway; the adventure begins! We've been on three cruises so far so we no longer have any worries about our luggage getting to the room. Once one of our bags was delayed in getting to our cabin but I cannot honestly say that it caused any concern - the cruise lines do this every week and very professionally.

I'm 80% relaxed when I reach my embarkation port city they day before the cruise. Then I'm 100% relaxed when I get "doinked" onto the ship for the 1st time and have my 1st Bloody Mary at the Lobby bar....

Archived