San Francisco Hotels

BMP57

Wife and I will be sailing on a 10-Day Alaskan Cruise in May 2012 departing from San Francisco. We plan on arriving in SF a couple days early for sightseeing; any ideas on a good, reasonable priced and located hotel?

Regards

Brian

Wife and I will be sailing on a 10-Day Alaskan Cruise in May 2012 departing from San Francisco. We plan on arriving in SF a couple days early for sightseeing; any ideas on a good, reasonable priced and located hotel?

Regards

Brian

We stayed at the Hilton Union Square and thought it was a nice hotel. It was centrally located and close to the subway. On embarkation day, it was just a short cab ride to the pier.

You might get more answers asking on the West Coast Departures board...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=413

Hi Brian

We did this cruise in 2010 and loved it!

We went four days early and stayed at the Marriott at Fisherman's Wharf. We thought it was very nice, close to everything and found a reasonable price booking it online. We walked to the Wharf, Ghiradelli's Square and bought a three day Muni pass and took it other places, along with two tours - one city tour and one to Muir Woods.

Have fun.

Norah

If you want to splurge it would be the St Francis on Union Square. But it should be really expensive.... but I think worth it.

A couple of years ago I was attending a conference by the convention center . When I got to the Marriott over there I was told they were overbooked and I had to stay at another hotel. I really verbably gave it to them because I had reservations for months. Then the Marriott told me they were sending me to the St Francis in a limo!!!! I immediately shut up.

There are two hotels on Nob Hill; the Mark Hopkins and the Fairmont (?). Both of those should be extremely expensive.

Even if you don't stay at these hotels you may want to visit them while in SF just to check them out. I always have a drink in the bar at the Mark Hopkins in honor of all the GI's that drank there before shipping out to the Souh Pacific in WWII.

Me, I stay in San Jose the night before the cruise and drive in on cruise day. I stay there for under $100. I can't afford those expensive SF hotels. But if I was to stay in SF I would try to find a place near Union Square. The wharf area is OK and convenient but too touristy for me.

Take a look at the Tuscan Inn. San Francisco is quite small and easy to get around. The Tuscan Inn is near Fisherman's Wharf and is located close to a grocery store, cost plus and a variety of restaurants.

We stayed at the Hilton Union Square and thought it was a nice hotel. It was centrally located and close to the subway. On embarkation day, it was just a short cab ride to the pier.

You might get more answers asking on the West Coast Departures board...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=413

locals call the "subway" BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit). The Municipal Railway a.k.a. Muni, also runs underground down Market Street. (it was surface level last time I lived there).

From the Fisherman's Wharf area, with all it's great seafood restaurants, one can get a cable car to downtown and/or Union Square. From that area Chinatown is in walking distance.

The wharf area is touristy, but where else can you see sea lions up close?

There is LOTS to do in SF so decide what you want to do before deciding where to stay. We lived there for over 21 years and didn't see all the attractions.

No local would refer to BART as the subway. Muni is the closest thing to a subway and it runs a mix of buses, historic cable cars, trolleys, and mixed above/underground trams. For much of the downtown areas BART is deeper below ground than Muni and they share about 4-5 stations. But aside from that, expect to use Muni to get around the city.

As for locations, the city is overall fairly small, I would generally avoid the touristy fisherman's wharf area hotels, but that's just me, pick any of the hotels folks mentioned already if the prices work for you.

We stayed at the Mark Hopkins when we were in S.F. back in 2006. We loved our stay there and especially enjoyed the breakfast room and bar as both have wonderful views of San Francisco. It was also central to everything.

We could walk or catch the tram down to Fisherman's Wharf and it was an easy couple of blocks to Union Square, though I remember it was a harder walk returning to the hotel as it is on top of the hill.

Jennie

Speaking of BART - is it really doable to take it from SFO to fisherman's wharf? We get into town early that morning and want to partake in some sourdough before we board the ship.

BART will take you from the Airport to downtown. Then you will need to switch to Muni (either cable car or above ground tram) to get to Fisherman's warf. That said if you exit BART at Montgomery street station there is a boudin bakery right near that exit and you can get sourdough just fine there.

Hello,

There is a locally owned chain of motor inns in San Francisco that provide an excellent place to stay in terms of location, comfort, and prices. The motor inns are the Cow Hollow Inn and Suites, Coventry Inn, Lombard Inn, Columbus Inn, and one more whose name I cannot recall. In particular, the Cow Hollow and Coventry are very nice...having stayed at both very recently. Easy access to public transit and these motor inns have free parking.

Regards

Brian

Hey Brian ... I would pick a neighborhood first. Fisherman's Wharf is flat and walking distance to Ghirardelli, our famous sea lions, etc. It is a touristy area - but you are a tourist :) Union Square is mecca for shopping, museums fine dining choices - and located more centrally in the city. It is also right on the BART line which has a terminal in SFO. So that's super easy and convenient and will save you on taxi, parking, etc.

Check out 511.org for assistance in planning transportation.

I always recommend the boutique hotels - first of all, they have more character and make you feel like you are in San Francisco. On vacation. 2nd, most have amenities like wine tasting in the evening, comp breakfast - and some even have shuttle services. Check out Joie de Vivre and Kimpton groups. They have specials - so join their programs and you will get emails.

May is great time for a visit in SF and not high season, so you should enjoy great rates, no crowds and good weather. We can still get rain in May, but not usually.

It is a great city for exploring. Have a great time!

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions on where to stay in San Francisco. We have booked at the Marriott Fisherman's Wharf. We're very much looking forward to our stay and Alaskan Cruise in May 2012.

Brian

Take a look at the Tuscan Inn. San Francisco is quite small and easy to get around. The Tuscan Inn is near Fisherman's Wharf and is located close to a grocery store, cost plus and a variety of restaurants.

This is where we are staying in Sept.

Pat

Archived