Flow Rider Questions

1. I know this is a silly question but is there a weight limit for the flow rider?

2. We want to take a lesson but it seems that the lessons are 6:15 and 7:30 online. Are there earlier times on board or are these the time all lessons are offered?

3. Do they provide a one of these water shirts or do I need to get a tight t-shirt?

Thanks!

1. I know this is a silly question but is there a weight limit for the flow rider?

2. We want to take a lesson but it seems that the lessons are 6:15 and 7:30 online. Are there earlier times on board or are these the time all lessons are offered?

3. Do they provide a one of these water shirts or do I need to get a tight t-shirt?

Thanks!

1. Only height requirement, 52" for boogie board and 58" for stand up surfing.

2. I never took lessons. But they should be available before, between or after their normal operating hours.

3. You don't need a water shirt and they are not provided.

Make sure you sign the waiver and get a wrist band beforehand.

Hi Dawn

I didn't notice when you are going, but I would definitely consider a tight fitting rash guard shirt. A) it provides sun protection B) it provides skin protection and C) it will keep parts you prefer to keep private private. I would also, consider a pair or board type shorts with a draw string, even if I was a woman(which of course I am not). If you are going when the weather could be cool, ie not summer a wet suit will provide all of the protection that was mentioned above, and it will keep you warmer.

Have fun. It is a blast.

jc

Thanks, JC!! Leaving Sept 4. Definitely wearing a 1 piece bathing suit. Hmm not sure I want to invest in board shorts. I have a pair of light weight longer shorts that I can wear.

Thanks, CruiseSlacker! I know I can do the waiver online.

Dawn - a one piece suit is fine. There are no weight limits - just height limits. If you don't mind throwing yourself down to boogie board then it's fine. I have seen quite a few in 2 piece suits lose parts or expose parts. A shirt is up to you depending on how the top of your bathing suit fits. Have fun!

One item on the weigh. If you weight more than a kid make sure you keep moving side to side or up and down the incline. More than once on the last cruise the whole thing shut down when a larger person was boogie boarding and simply hovering in place. It causes the water flow to get messed up and, when that happens, the water flow stops and they need to reset. Do it a few times and the crew (and those in line) get a little annoyed.

It takes a certain level of athletic ablilty.

If you are out of shape, less agile, and live a seditive lifestyle, it is definitely not for you...

did autocorrect change your word? Sedative lifestyle or sedentary lifestyle? Gave me a chuckle. I am relatively sedentary and still enjoy bogey boarding on the flow rider in short intervals. I don't try for hours on end and I have not tried to stand up.

If you are out of shape, less agile, and live a seditive lifestyle, it is definitely not for you...

This woman appears to be someone willing to try things. Far from a sedative lifestyle. She kind of reminds me of the person who has the "Murphy" thread. Maybe you can learn from them.

Thanks!

They have lessons later than that as well as earlier like at 8am on sea days. On port days there's lots of time lessons are available in the day while the flowrider isn't open for a open session. Book when you get on board if your still interested.

Make sure you go on the FIRST day - there is hardly any line to try it - the first day is only on the boogie board, - I tried it (did not do well) but I am glad there was NOT a big crowd watching - We went the second day (just to watch)(there are bleacher seats surrounding the flowrider) and it was very crowded. Have fun :D

Hi Dawn

I didn't notice when you are going, but I would definitely consider a tight fitting rash guard shirt. A) it provides sun protection B) it provides skin protection and C) it will keep parts you prefer to keep private private. I would also, consider a pair or board type shorts with a draw string, even if I was a woman(which of course I am not). If you are going when the weather could be cool, ie not summer a wet suit will provide all of the protection that was mentioned above, and it will keep you warmer.

Have fun. It is a blast.

jc

I learn more and more about you all the time!;)

This videa has been posted a few times by stompy, I think it might answer the weight limit question.

He looks like he is having fun though.:D

LOL!!! This was too funny!! Looks like a lot of fun....I plan on giving it a try in August :).

Just because I am on the fluffy side doesn't mean I can't try this. I go to the gym 4 times a week, take dance classes and eat healthy most of the time. I think a lesson is the way to go since I have never been on a flow rider before and I don't want to hold anyone up.

Just because I am on the fluffy side doesn't mean I can't try this. I go to the gym 4 times a week, take dance classes and eat healthy most of the time. I think a lesson is the way to go since I have never been on a flow rider before and I don't want to hold anyone up.

Don't worry about holding people up. Typically you get your turn until you fall and then the next person goes. It is the people who are really good that sometimes hold up the line. But it is all good. It is fun to watch the good and the not so good. And you are correct you can try this. And you will have a blast!:):) My bet is that everyone will be cheering you on!:)

Don't worry about holding people up. Typically you get your turn until you fall and then the next person goes. It is the people who are really good that sometimes hold up the line. But it is all good. It is fun to watch the good and the not so good. And you are correct you can try this. And you will have a blast!:):) My bet is that everyone will be cheering you on!:)

Dawn, as usual, I agree with OB. My goal on the Indy was to do stand-up. If you have this as a goal, you will not worry about holding anyone up. Since, the first time I think I went for 5 or 6 seconds. In fact I went such a short period of time, I got to immediately go again. Since, my one Flowrider experience was on a transatlantic, I literally spent 4 hours a day every day for a week on the trip across doing stand-up. By the end of the first day, I was able to balance on the board and move around a little on the wave and had runs that ran from seconds to a couple of minutes. By the end of the week. I always could ride for a few minutes, and I could move up and down the wave and right and left on the wave. I learned to use my arms for balance, and I almost learned how to handle spinning out. I tried to learn that so hard, that I tore a stomach muscle falling repeatedly from the top of the wave on my back. That said, it is a blast, and addicting. I never did the boogey board. The ones that hold people up are the ones that are really good. The attendants usually make them do ever harder tricks so that they fall and give someone else a shot. So, beginners are better than pros for everyone else. I found the entire group of folks watching and participating to be very helpful coaches and everyone becomes close friends after a couple of days. Good Stuff.

jc

Thanks JC and OB!!! I really don't have a goal other than to not embarrass myself completely. I am hoping with my dance background (22 years) that it just will help with the balancing. Knowing myself and my friend, we will probably be on it every day! lol

Congrats on doing all those tricks!! I aspire to be like you one day! :p

Dawn, I really thought it would be easy. I snow ski, I waterski (at an almost pro level as a kid), and I am generally athletic although getting older. It was really hard. The board is so slippery that you barely get going before you start to spin. I think that people who know how to skateboard would be at an advantage. I was never a skateboarder. My wife who is an amazing dancer (and Zumba instructor) tried twice wiped out promptly and found other things to do on the transatlantic. The key is perserverance. Just keep at it, and learn to enjoy the intense spray, and the smacking into the safety pad at the top of the flowrider, where you will be dumped on a sewer grate while making sure all of your clothing bits are still close to where they started and then you find your board, and then you sheepishly exit to get back in line to do it again.:p

jc

Archived