Venice museums or skip them and wander

cruisecouple88

We are in port from 1 pm on a Friday until 5 pm on Saturday. We of course are going to do the must see spots - St. Mark's Square, the Basilica, Doge's Palace, the secret itinerary tour, Rialto bridge and market, and Frari Church.

What I was wondering is if it is worth going to any of the other museums - Correr Museum, Peggy Gggenheim Collection, Accademia? We will probably only have time for one of them, two if we hurry, or maybe skip them all and just wander around Venice and shop. Does anyone have any recommendations? Unfortunately we cannot do everything and in case we never get a chance to return to Venice, we don't want to miss a must-see.

Thanks!

I would say don't PLAN on seeing the museums you mentioned. IF you happen to have extra time and you feel like it then OK BUT they won't give you any of the flavor of Venice.

Near the Frari is one of my favorite places unique to Venice. It is the Scuola Grande di San Rocco. The scuola was like a lodge meeting hall and there are several in the city . They were competitive in how they were decorated and Tintoretto spend 26 years of his life painting this one.

The walls,ceilings etc are covered with his work and you can really see them UNlike some of the paintings in the Sistine Chapel.

Anyway going there and maybe crossing the canal to San Giorgio Maggiore where you can go up in the campanile and look back over Venice would give you more to remember about the city than the other museums.

One more idea would be to go to the Jewish Ghetto area( even if you are not Jewish) and take the short tour that shows you the secret synagogues and talks about life in that area at that time. QUITE interesting!

For sure, skip the Correr. It is NOTHING special. We went in there because it was free(with Doge's Palace ticket) and to use the restroom, and still felt like we were there too long. We skipped the other museums and just wandered, and felt good about that decision. The only thing I sort of regret missing is Scuola de San Rocco (sort of Venice's Sistine Chapel by Tintoretto), but there is always next time. I say, see if the museums (other than the Correr) have anything that you really feel you have to see. If not, don't waste your time in a museum when you could be seeing the attraction that is Venice itself.

It really depends on your interests. I loved the Guggenheim, but that happens to be a period of art I enjoy. The Accademia is wonderful, but about halfway through I got to the point where I thought if I looked at another gilted triptych I'd scream.

I would say don't PLAN on seeing the museums you mentioned. IF you happen to have extra time and you feel like it then OK BUT they won't give you any of the flavor of Venice.

Near the Frari is one of my favorite places unique to Venice. It is the Scuola Grande di San Rocco. The scuola was like a lodge meeting hall and there are several in the city . They were competitive in how they were decorated and Tintoretto spend 26 years of his life painting this one.

The walls,ceilings etc are covered with his work and you can really see them UNlike some of the paintings in the Sistine Chapel.

Anyway going there and maybe crossing the canal to San Giorgio Maggiore where you can go up in the campanile and look back over Venice would give you more to remember about the city than the other museums.

One more idea would be to go to the Jewish Ghetto area( even if you are not Jewish) and take the short tour that shows you the secret synagogues and talks about life in that area at that time. QUITE interesting!

For the tour of the Jewish Ghetto, do you have to sign up and reserve it ahead of time or can you just go to that area and get on it?

I'm sorry that I forgot the name, but I loved the history museum on St. Mark's Square. I spent two hours there while my mom went shopping, and could have spent more time. I will admit that I am fascinated by almost all science and history museums, but have a short attention span at most art museums.

For the tour of the Jewish Ghetto, do you have to sign up and reserve it ahead of time or can you just go to that area and get on it?

The Jewish Museum offers tours of the synagogues within the ghetto, but not the whole area of the ghetto. No private guide can tour inside the synagogues. Here's the link to the museum's web site:

www.museoebraico.it/english/visite.html

When my husband and I visited the ghetto, it was part of a day we spent with a private guide who offers a tour that focuses on the many cultures/religions that flourished in Venice. However, our guide stepped aside when we visited the synagogues.

Thanks everyone for the info and thoughts. I think we will skip all those museums. I never even thought of the Scuola Grande di San Rocco. We will add that to the second day. And if there is time, maybe the Guggenheim. I don't know if we will time for the Jewish Ghetto, but something else to add to the "if there is time" list.

Thanks!

You do not need to book the ghetto tour in advance. You just go to the Jewish Museum and buy your ticket and wait for the next tour. They run quite often throughout the day. It is located quite near the train station so very easy to find. There are 4 synagogues but 2 are "secret ones" that you canNOT see unless you are on the tour.

While I would skip the art museums (don't shoot me bu,t once you have seen 20 Madonna and Child paintings, the other thousand hanging everwhere look pretty close to the same LOL), I would encourage you to take the Secret Itinerary tour of the Doges palace.

In the short time the tour takes, the entire history of Venice and the empire that it constituted is described. Well worth it. A good pat of the known world was influenced by the Venetian rule and it is very interesting.

HA HA! We were in Italy for a month and went to EVERY museum in EVERY town. If I NEVER see another Madonna and Child I will be a happy person! I need to learn to dissect the museums before we go and spend my time on the periods/styles that interest me, instead of thinking I have to see everything!

We did the Secret Tour and after a while I found myself itching for it to be over so I could get back out on the streets and wander--just too much time inside for me!

When we were there we didn't have to sign up ahead of time.

I would highly recommend spending time at the Ghetto.

Actually this was the first Ghetto and this is where the name originated.

Keith

WANDER!!! The real essence of Venice can only be experienced by walking the streets,crossing the bridges, turning corners and getting lost in the little alleys and swuares, it is the ONLY way to truly experience the city. Venice streets are so much more than all of the little shops (though there are some great ones), it is small cafes, beautiful vistas of canals, watching the people going about their business, finding small out of the way places, turning another corner and finding a wonderful little piazza with kids playing and Mamas chatting.I urge you to get away from the tourist areas, see the real city. You can't do any of that inside a stuffy museum. By the way, it is almost impossible to get truly "lost", you can always find your way back to your starting point. A map is of very limited use, just follow the street signs pointing you back to St Marks Square, located on the buildings at most street corners. Museums are wonderful places to view past discoveries made by other people--wandering is your way of finding your own new memories of a very magical place. To me, the true beauty of Venice lies outside of any doorway, it is found hidden around every corner

Been to Venice twice never thought of stepping in a Museum.

Been to Florence, Rome and other places twice too always make it a priority to stop at museums, YMMV depending on interest in history and what is in the said museums.

We are in port from 1 pm on a Friday until 5 pm on Saturday. We of course are going to do the must see spots - St. Mark's Square, the Basilica, Doge's Palace, the secret itinerary tour, Rialto bridge and market, and Frari Church.

What I was wondering is if it is worth going to any of the other museums - Correr Museum, Peggy Gggenheim Collection, Accademia? We will probably only have time for one of them, two if we hurry, or maybe skip them all and just wander around Venice and shop. Does anyone have any recommendations? Unfortunately we cannot do everything and in case we never get a chance to return to Venice, we don't want to miss a must-see.

Thanks!

We were there for 3 days in April. There was just not enuf time to do it all. We did the Doges Palace Secret Itinerary tour which was ok but like the other poster couldnot wait for it to be over so we could go outside. We did the clock tower tour (all 132 steps) was kind of cool being on the tippy top looking over the city. We took the ferry to Burano which was a pretty town but in my opinion alot of time to get there and back (took about 4 hours) and once again could not wait to get back to the streets of Venice. One regret is just not wandering enough;) Hoping to go back and this time will not have any pre booked tours. Enjoy whatever you decide to do. :)

I would not concern yourself with it now.

Once you get there you can do whatever you feel like...walking around or doing a museum. The weather may have some impact on your decision. We were there last month for 3 days. We like some museums but did not really have time as we were too busy roaming around and seeing all the sites-and the weather was wonderful.

Archived