Are You the Only Ones...

MrsZee

We are the only people in our groups of friends who are addicted to cruising. In fact, we are some of the very few that have even been on a cruise. Everyone has some reason or another... but several think we are quite strange (and/or frivolous) for going so often. Right now we are just one per year, I can't imagine what they would think if we went three/four times a year like some of you. (I can only dream!)

So, do you get the same crazy looks we do?

We are the only people in our groups of friends who are addicted to cruising. In fact, we are some of the very few that have even been on a cruise. Everyone has some reason or another... but several think we are quite strange (and/or frivolous) for going so often. Right now we are just one per year, I can't imagine what they would think if we went three/four times a year like some of you. (I can only dream!)

It's usually people who are jealous who have never even tried to book a cruise. Most people still associate cruising with the rich life. I think many would be downright shocked if they actually priced out a cruise. On the rare occasion that someone is rude about it a simple we don't smoke, we don't drive 2 vehicles, we don't rack up credit card debt etc usually ends any discussion :)

Actually, my entire office of co workers has gone cruising and we ALL love it. But there is this one guy who just couldn't be convinced. Well, finally spring break was coming up and he wasn't sure what to do for his wife and 9 year old kid. Everyone hounded him and recommended a Carnival cruise. He was gonna book and then a couple days later decided against. Finally he did take plunge and literally, last minute, booked!

We were so proud of him. When he came back, he said it was good, but it didn't seem like he was convinced. Well, when I was looking at my Carnival count down a few weeks ago (just got back from Victory-S caribbean) I actually heard him say, he was itching to go on another cruise. Ah yes, victory was ours! We got another one hooked!

Looking at the prices that some of the posters paid in the "When was your first cruise" thread for cruises 20 years ago... I am amazed at how affordable cruising actually is. In the long run, it is the same price as going to the local beach here in Alabama and we don't have to cook our own food or clean our own room! But, it really is no wonder I was so nervous to try til a couple years ago... it wasn't til the last ten years or so that it actually became affordable.

I can safely say that with the close to 40 people who work in the office only three of us have cruised and I am the only one who has gone on multiple cruises. One woman went with her two sisters last May to Alaska on Princess (damn cold weather too!), and the other went on RCI out of San Juan many years before they decided to built moster malls of the sea like Freedom and larger....

A number of women got to Vegas, Hawaii, Mexico (Cancul/Cozumel/Puerto Vallara) on a regular basis and don't understand why I cruise as much as I do. I ask them what is there to do after dinner at an all inclusive...their answer is not much at all. I then say on a cruise ship I always have to decide what to do as there is a show or comedian, or whatever to go to at the same time every night!!! And then I mention that I get to visit three or four ports in a week and love the idea of quick visits so I can decide if I want to go there again or skip it (Cozumel/Costa Maya) when the next ship I go on takes me there.

No, I will keep cruising because what I get for my money is a week of fun, sun, and all the entertainment I could want!!!!!!

The objections I hear the most about from our group of friends are fears of motion/seasickness. I hesitate to pooh-pooh those particular concerns, since we can't predict if there will be rough weather, plus I would feel terrible if I convinced someone to cruise with us and they were sick all week! :eek:

One set of our friends loves cruising as much as we do (if not more! lol) and I've recently sold another friend on the idea and she's looking to book herself, her husband and their son on a fall cruise this year or maybe next spring. Another couple we're friends with have been on a cruise and really liked it. That's it that I know of. We haven't been on a bunch of cruises yet so we haven't gotten crazy looks, though. Yet. :D We plan to book every other year, at least, in the next few years - several family vacations will probably be cruises. :)

Don't feel bad OP. We feel the same way sometimes. We feel we really do get the best value and experience for our money. We also live in a tourist vacation beach area and therefore we enjoy getting away and enjoying the tropical islands of The Carribbean and The Bahamas when we vacation. We also try to book pretty far in advance and this allows us to usually find pretty decent deals. So as far as otheres go.......don't worry about it as long as you all are Enjoying yourselves!!!

Sadly, yes :( My DB and DSIL have cruised with us twice, but are looking to do something else....and say they won't bring the kids on a cruise! I'm hoping to get my kids hooked as well, so we all have something to look forward to every couple of years.

Another friend of mine doesn't feel good about not seeing any land...gosh, I love that part!

It's interesting to hear why friends won't cruise...and I try my best convince them otherwise:D

I cruise around four times a year, this year one down and three booked .

My friends and DW and I cruise together once a year. When I tell them we are cruising again in a few months ,I usually get :eek: really thats the actual look I get :eek::eek:.

I think everyone I know just expects it from us after all these years so we no longer get crazy looks or comments. We used to travel by land a lot and now I can't justify the price of land trips compared to a cruise.

Many people have tried cruising after hearing our tales and then they didn't like it...including one of my sons and my mother. I never recommend a cruise vacation to anyone any more because it's simply not for everyone.

One of these days for our fifth trip to Europe we're going to take the whole family and do a land trip only. Until then, we'll keep cruising a few times a year where my cell phone won't work (unless I want it to) ;) and the office can't call me!

99% of my co-workers think we're nuts. I do have one fellow co-worker that loves to cruise, but he goes ever other year and spends the big bucks on Disney.

We only average one cruise a year since we don't live in FL - but we do a bunch of other land vacations throughout the year also. We did San Francisco in Feb and are about to go to Ireland next month.

I think with our jobs in the airline industry, everyone just thinks cruising is a such a waste with the flight benefits. I just stick my tongue at them and smile :p ....cause I love all our vacations!

We have that problem, but I think its mostly because we are in our young twenties, and most of our acquaintances and friends are young, broke, and buried in student loans.

We just booked cruise number 3 in 3 years and we often get that look that almost makes us feel bad for being able to take so many vacations. But then we remember that we both worked hard to get where we are without any debt and we have no plans of having kids anytime soon..so, we cruise!

We're working on getting others hooked as well, taking my parents on this September's cruise, and my in-laws and possible some other family on next September's.

Once friends hear how affordable a cruise can actually be, they start asking more questions, but none of them have yet to book one.

I know that most people at work almost assume when I have vacation scheduled that I am going on another cruise, and most of the time they are right! A cruise is my favorite vacation!

That's how it is with me too.

I get a lot of strange comments from people at work, and it shows (what is to me) a very odd mind set. "All there is to do is eat." Or from some else, "There is all that noro virus, I'd be afraid to cruise."

You'd think everyone on board was just stuffing their faces and then steppin' lively to the john - I can only imagine what they think a cruise is. :rolleyes:

It is so bad with us we do not tell anyone . They know we like cruising and think we are in the caribbean .We have been to Med twice Baltic once and Alaska twice . None of our friends or family cruise ,and it is kind of borish to brag about travel. Most of them will spend big money at the Jersy shore and not look in to cruising or other trips ,that is how it is where we live(east coast)

i'm so glad to see that i'm not the only one who love cruising!! my family and freinds think i'm crazy because it all i talk about is what i learned on ccritic today. or share what wonderful tips i have learned. i have a new passion and LOVING IT!! thanks all for making me normal!! LOL!!:D

Yes, exactly the same for us. They just don't get it.

My DH and I should be getting paid by the cruise lines for all the word-of-mouth advertising we've done.:rolleyes: So many people think cruising is expensive (without ever having looked into the prices).

My DH and I became addicted after a 3 day cruise on Disney for our honeymoon. In September 2001, we talked some friends into going with us on their first ever cruise and they became addicted as well. They don't get to cruise as much because they have two kids. We have been on 7 cruises (number 8 in September) since our honeymoon in 2000. Friends and family ask how we can afford to cruise so much, I just tell them that I always look for a bargain. We can also go whenever we want since we don't have kids, my DH job doesn't have blackout dates and I work from home.:)

The objections I hear the most about from our group of friends are fears of motion/seasickness. I hesitate to pooh-pooh those particular concerns, since we can't predict if there will be rough weather, plus I would feel terrible if I convinced someone to cruise with us and they were sick all week! :eek:

Aww, Suze, you're just too considerate and sweet.:)

We have a bunch of friends who are cruisers but they think Carnival is too lowbrow for themselves.

Not like that otherwise which is why we remain friends.

I have come across this as well. I know a couple of people who like cruising but won't even try Carnival! One of those friends is a TA for a large travel company.

I have one close friend who is addicted to cruising as I am and in fact we sailed together on the Valor last month but most of my friends just dont get it. I tried to get my parents and sister and her DH involved.....even tried to tell my sister how wonderful it would be to have a wedding at sea....did NOT happen.

I did however get my parents into it a bit. They own a boat which they are constantly on all summer long here so I knew the water would not be a problem for them! They really enjoyed it! And although they don't itch to cruise as often as I do at least they understand my passion!

Oh....my children all love cruising as well! I have 4 kids and while all 4 are really into it 2 of them have "the bug"......My oldest DD, 21, talks about it alot and goes online and looks for what our next cruise together will be every now and then. She is really wanting to sail the Dream. ....My Son's absolute favorite towel after a shower is his Carnival Towel......I got another one for him on my last cruise and am planning on wrapping it up for his BDay next week.

Surprisingly, when most of our friends find out we're going on a cruise, they usually say that they would really like to try a cruise but never do.

They always come up with some excuse for not doing it.

After our first cruise, I planned the second one. I asked my three brothers and their wives and my one sister and her husband if they wanted to join us. The brothers and their wives did. We didn't find out until after we were onboard the ship that one of my SIL is allergic to the sun. She pretty much stayed on the ship the whole time which was unfortunate for my brother. He did go on a couple of excursions with the rest of us though.

After that cruise, the next one I booked, I ask them again. One other brother and SIL joined us. They have been on every cruise with us since then. Wife's sister and her family have joined us on three of our cruises.

We find it odd that so many of our friends want to do it, yet they always find excuses for not doing it.

Archived