Is Concierge level worth the extra money

3963golfer

Looking at a Mediterranean cruise on the Marina and in comparing Concierge Verandah level to Regular verandah there's a $500-800 difference depending on levels chosen. I read the descriptions of what the concierge level is and it didn't strike me as being worth the extra money but having never sailed Oceania I may be missing something - is Concierge worth the extra money ?

We got upgraded to concierge level on our first Oceania cruise last year. It does have a few perks. You can make dinner reservations at the specialty restaurants earlier (60 days rather than 45). You can board earlier (11 am rather than 1 pm-usually) during embarkation. But the primary difference I noticed was that when you needed something or there was a problem, you got quicker attention as soon as they knew you were concierge. Oceania seems to have a strong "class" system in this way, unlike say Azamara.

I don't believe there is a"scientific" answer to your question. The perks offered in concierge class are evaluated by each person according to their individual needs and preferences. We like concierge because of early boarding and luggage delivery ... the other perks are not important to us.

People will make this decision based on their own value system.

But the primary difference I noticed was that when you needed something or there was a problem, you got quicker attention as soon as they knew you were concierge. Oceania seems to have a strong "class" system in this way, unlike say Azamara.

I have to disagree with you here

We have always gotten attention very quickly when we have had a problem onboard

We have never done the concierge level

Golfer

As for other amenities it is a personal choice if you go the concierge level or not

We have very seldom had trouble getting extra reservation for dinner

We take our own tote bag

Lyn

3963golfer-

If you cannot decide, I'd wait to see if you are offered an upgrade by your TA...it usually is a good deal. This being your 1st cruise on O you'll never know what your missing by booking a reg.cabin. We've had both & found the one big advantage was the extra bookings for the specialty restaurants that could be done ahead of time online.That being said, some people have mentioned, they just asked for extra reservations and got them. Our only criteria is that we have a balcony, love to wake up to the exceptional views of a new port every day!!!

Looking at a Mediterranean cruise on the Marina and in comparing Concierge Verandah level to Regular verandah there's a $500-800 difference depending on levels chosen. I read the descriptions of what the concierge level is and it didn't strike me as being worth the extra money but having never sailed Oceania I may be missing something - is Concierge worth the extra money ?

I would rather use the $500 to go for a couple of great meals at home rather than to make four extra reservations during the cruise. Our friends just returned from the marina concierge level and said next time he would not pay a penny extra to do that again (having been upgraded this trip). If money is no object, then a move up to a penthouse suite at least makes more sense since there is so much more space.

I would rather use the $500 to go for a couple of great meals at home rather than to make four extra reservations during the cruise. Our friends just returned from the marina concierge level and said next time he would not pay a penny extra to do that again (having been upgraded this trip). If money is no object, then a move up to a penthouse suite at least makes more sense since there is so much more space.

Yes, PH on board Marina is a considerable advantage, in many ways and worth the money, in my opinion. The concierge level on board the R ships has the advantage if being located on deck 7, between two other passenger decks with no common space above or below. That is the only real advantage I see, as there is no noise or odors from kitchen, pool area, etc.

It's really a personal choice though. The concierge and verandah cabins are exactly alike - no difference in space or furnishings. The upgraded bath amenities in concierge are certainly not worth the difference in price. Either way, enjoy your cruise!

Golfer

As for other amenities it is a personal choice if you go the concierge level or not

We take our own tote bag

Lyn

Couldn't agree with you more...we too take our own tote bag ( in fact my is an O bag that has two ship names embossd on it!!!) and never had a problem getting an extra reservation. On our last cruise, I was trying to get in touch with our tour guide and was having a problem with e-mail on the ship. The concierge, Diego, sent several e-mails for me and even called!! He didn't ask where I was until later on when he sent me a message to my cabin. I have found no "class" system on any of the O ships. In fact, I think they go out of their way to treat everyone equally!! Up coming in August is our 9th and we couldn't be happier with the service, food, amenities, etc. Arlene;)

Golfer

We take our own tote bag

Lyn

Couldn't agree with you more...we too take our own tote bag ( in fact my is an O bag that has two ship names embossd on it!!!) and never had a problem getting an extra reservation. On our last cruise, I was trying to get in touch with our tour guide and was having a problem with e-mail on the ship. The concierge, Diego, sent several e-mails for me and even called!! He didn't ask where I was until later on when he sent me a message to my cabin. I have found no "class" system on any of the O ships. In fact, I think they go out of their way to treat everyone equally!! Up coming in August is our 9th and we couldn't be happier with the service, food, amenities, etc. Arlene;)

I have found no "class" system on any of the O ships. In fact, I think they go out of their way to treat everyone equally!!

If you really believe that, never book a Suite ;)

It just isn't good business to treat clients who are paying 3 and 4 times the "base rate" in exactly the same way.

It would be fairer to say that the Suite Passengers get the additional perquisites that they pay for.

It just isn't good business to treat clients who are paying 3 and 4 times the "base rate" in exactly the same way.

It would be fairer to say that the Suite Passengers get the additional perquisites that they pay for.

Ah, but the topic is: Is Concierge level worth the extra money. Suites aren't being addressed in this thread.

Comcox stated: But the primary difference I noticed was that when you needed something or there was a problem, you got quicker attention as soon as they knew you were concierge. Oceania seems to have a strong "class" system in this way, unlike say Azamara.

I have to agree with others who have never found any difference in service between concierge level and non-concierge level staterooms. For instance, problems were addressed immediately on our recent Marina sailing and we were in a B4.

Are you sure you would not prefer Crystal? Sounds like an elitist talking. By the way, on Seabourne and Silverseas, I did not feel that the suite passengers were given special attention as you imply they do deserve on O.

You say elitist, I say realistic.

There isn't any business, anywhere, that does not give customers who spend more money more benefits.

It's not a question of fairness or what I think that people deserve, it is the way of the World.

Do Rolls Royce and Hyundai have similar customer service?

To reiterate what many have said on previous occasions when this question has arisen -- because it does come up fairly often -- the value of concierge (or suite) service is in the eye of the beholder.

For me, I pay extra for the extra space. It's important to me, but it isn't important to everybody. Butler service really isn't important to me but it comes with the (suite) territory.

Unfortunately, there's no way to adequately answer such a question. If you doubt you'd appreciate the "concierge service", then I suspect you wouldn't. And yes, you should spend the money you save where you want to.

But don't assume that because it isn't important to you, therefore it isn't important. (Not saying that you do!)

You say elitist, I say realistic.

There isn't any business, anywhere, that does not give customers who spend more money more benefits.

It's not a question of fairness or what I think that people deserve, it is the way of the World.

Do Rolls Royce and Hyundai have similar customer service?

No but they are two different companies. My Audi A6 gets the same level of service as the A4 but the A6 has the additional space that I paid more for.

No but they are two different companies. My Audi A6 gets the same level of service as the A4 but the A6 has the additional space that I paid more for.

Oceania sells the Suites by advertising:

• Priority Check-In and Early Embarkation
  • Priority Luggage Delivery
  • Priority Restaurant Reservations in Toscana, Polo Grill, Jacques and Red Ginger
  • 24-Hour Butler Service
  • course-by-course en-suite dining in your dining room or with the caress of a soft sea breeze on the expansive veranda

The way that I read it, there is no question that the Suite passengers are promised "special attention" over and above the extra legroom in the suites.

Do you disagree?

There is a difference between level of service and level of amenities. Suite passengers (PH and above) get the extra amenities for which they have paid. There include extra space, butler service, better in-stateroom dining service, and much more.

You can think of Concierge as having many of the same perks as a Penthouse suite except the extra space, a butler, in-cabin dining from any restaurant menu, a combo tub/shower and more. From concierge up, guests get tote bags, priority embarkation and debarkation, priority luggage service, cashmere lap robes limited pressing services and a couple more I'm forgetting. Concierege used to get a DVD player, fancier hair dryer and a fridge, but all cabins have those perks, now.

Most of those amenities are tied to in-cabin. Concierge cabins are otherwise identical to category B cabins.

Outside of the cabin, the only difference is the ability to make dinner reservations a little earlier, and the guarantee of two extra specialty dinner reservations (anyone can get additional reservations by being flexible and asking with a smile). Those are the only differences that have any vestige of what some may consider a class system, and they aren't important to the majority of people who have no really good idea of the best time for a dinner reservation. I never make my specialty reservations (or excusrsion reservations) until I'm on board, and I've never had any trouble, whether in concierge or not.

The level of service, that is, the way you are treated on board by the staff, is identical for everyone. I've been in both category A (concierge), category B and category C (oceanview) and was treated identically in every case.

Concierge was worth the money to me back when that was the only way to get a fridge. Now that all cabins have a fridge, it really has no meaning for me. It is true that there is a concierge lounge on Marina, and I've used it, but only because I was directly across the passageway. If I had to walk from one end of the ship to the other, or descend a deck, to use it, I'd never see the inside of it and wouldn't miss it.

There are other reasons to choose concierge -- location, for example, and only each individual can determine that value by trying both. Good reason to book more Oceania cruises :).

There is a difference between level of service and level of amenities. Suite passengers (PH and above) get the extra amenities for which they have paid. There include extra space, butler service, better in-stateroom dining service, and much more.

And that is how it should be: more amenities but high level of service for all.

And that is how it should be: more amenities but high level of service for all.

That is the way it has been on Oceania for us

We have booked B & C cabins & get the same great service as friends in PH

Unless you flash your room card or tell the crew you cabin number they have NO idea what cabin cat you are in

Edited by LHT28

• 5 years later...

There is one important advantage to concierge level that we only discovered by accident. Someone posted it elsewhere on Cruise critic but I have not seen it on this thread. They don't even advertise it on the list of what you get with concierge level. That feature is that in the 24 hour room service menu you are able to order complete hot breakfast in concierge level rather than just the continental breakfast. This makes a difference if you are on a port intensive cruise with lots of early 8 AM calls to get onto a tour bus and all day trips where you may not have a good opportunity for a lunch or breakfast. We would've liked this and probably would've paid extra for it on our tour to Israel and the Greek Islands. Those were long grueling tour days, the lunchtime food wasn't always so great and we really had no time to go and get breakfast before the early tours. If we were going on a Caribbean cruise where the ports and sightseeing weren't something you had to get out of the ship early in the morning for, and you had more time to sleep in and relax, we'd have no trouble going to the restaurant for breakfast and I probably would not pay extra for this perc on that type of cruise.

Edited by ShipShapely
spelling punctuation

There are multiple pages of past threads on this subject that the OP could have easily searched. Answer is, it's purely a personal opinion. I book concierge on O ship s and PH on Rs. I like having unlimited use of the spa deck on the O ships and my wife has learned that wifi reception in the concierge lounge is far better than elsewhere on the ship. I have always gotten my preferred dining reservations in the Specialties at 60 days, were others have been more challenged at 45. None of those may mean jack to others, so they have a different view. Understandable. Best for the OP to google the multiple pages written on this exact subject in the past and decide for themselves!

I think you have to do what is right for you, for sure you get more the higher the suite. I think you should go for the best that one can afford making your vacation the best ever. For us it's a suite-we like the space and the perks which includes the Butler Service.

Rick

We had our first concierge cabin last year. We liked the option of a hot room service breakfast. The concierge lounge has coffee, soda, water, sandwiches and pastries, daily newspapers and a host who was pretty useless (in my opinion). That being said, the veranda and ocean view cabins are the same size as concierge cabins, and you can get the same sandwiches and pastries in Baristas, so the only advantages to concierge level are the hot breakfast, newspapers (as long as no one has taken them), and earlier embarkation (I've probably missed some). You have to decide if this is worth the extra cost. We aren't so sure.

We had our first concierge cabin last year. We liked the option of a hot room service breakfast. The concierge lounge has coffee, soda, water, sandwiches and pastries, daily newspapers and a host who was pretty useless (in my opinion). That being said, the veranda and ocean view cabins are the same size as concierge cabins, and you can get the same sandwiches and pastries in Baristas, so the only advantages to concierge level are the hot breakfast, newspapers (as long as no one has taken them), and earlier embarkation (I've probably missed some). You have to decide if this is worth the extra cost. We aren't so sure.

You also get access to the Spa terrace and being able to book your Specialty restaurants earlier.