Isn't this sexist

Two cruise brochures in the mail today..normally it would be happy little me drooling over far away places and beautiful ships...however both brochures one from Princess Australia and one from Carnival were both addressed to my husband!

If anyone had cared to notice our cruise history...I am the one with the long list of cruises...a little thing I know but it seems a bit old fashioned to assume the male is the decision maker.

Who decides in your family?

Two cruise brochures in the mail today..normally it would be happy little me drooling over far away places and beautiful ships...however both brochures one from Princess Australia and one from Carnival were both addressed to my husband!

If anyone had cared to notice our cruise history...I am the one with the long list of cruises...a little thing I know but it seems a bit old fashioned to assume the male is the decision maker.

I do!

It is not a little thing, as women have long memories. When we got married, we couldn't get a loan, because my husband didn't have any money. The fact that I had money (a third deposit, which I'd saved to travel overseas), and I worked for the same organisation, didn't count!

A favourite charity of mine, which I supported all my working life, sends correspondence seeking donations to my husband.

No travel correspondence comes into this household addressed to my husband, so they have got that right! :rolleyes:

I can see I am not alone...I do the bookings and pay with my cards, I do all the research, form filling etc. etc. did I mention the packing as well! Half the time DH doesn't even really know where we are off to since I usually choose the destination and the cruise line.

He is so busy working he doesn't start to relax until we have been onboard a week! Retirement looms so maybe he will be more interested in the planning but it does gripe me that the cruise and travel companies totally ignore me in the marketing. Hopefully they are listening.

:mad: Well, I book and pay by my ccard ---and the postage stuff [when or if we get it] is addressed to him ?? Frustrates me!!:confused:

This topic was on one of the other cruise line boards (maybe Carnival, but I can't remember) and the theory is they list the names alphabetically. So for example if your husband's name is Fred and your's is Stacy, then on their database your husband's name is listed first and that is who the correspondence is addressed to and has absolutely nothing to do with who pays for what. There have been some people who have posted that the brochures are addressed in their kid's names. So I'm wondering if this might be the case in your situation? By the way I have no idea if that theory is correct, but it did make some sense.

I'll put up my hand too. I'm the researcher, booker and CC holder but DH gets the P&O + Princess mail (glossies).

I just received the 2012-13 Cruise Atlas. It has my name on it, but only because I contacted Captain's Cirple and requested a copy. Now to choose a cruise for 2013.....:D

Same here, I do the grunt work and get it all sorted and hubby gets the brochures. It is not alphabetical either in our case as my name is a D and hubby's is an S.

Maybe it sorts according to Mr? Which would come before Mrs? Maybe.

they go by your personal cruise number and mail out to the person who at the top of your family list

eg

mr jo blog 9876-1

mrs blog 9876-2

child bolg 9876-3

child bolg 9876-4

then if there is no mr then mrs or miss will be number one

This topic was on one of the other cruise line boards (maybe Carnival, but I can't remember) and the theory is they list the names alphabetically. So for example if your husband's name is Fred and your's is Stacy, then on their database your husband's name is listed first and that is who the correspondence is addressed to and has absolutely nothing to do with who pays for what. There have been some people who have posted that the brochures are addressed in their kid's names. So I'm wondering if this might be the case in your situation? By the way I have no idea if that theory is correct, but it did make some sense.

No,not in my case. My name starts with V and his a W. :confused:

they go by your personal cruise number and mail out to the person who at the top of your family list

eg

mr jo blog 9876-1

mrs blog 9876-2

child bolg 9876-3

child bolg 9876-4

then if there is no mr then mrs or miss will be number one

Just fixing a miss steak

mr jo blog 9876A

mrs blog 9876B

child bolg 9876C

child bolg 9876D

After chatinng to mf at P&O / Carnival they use the first person, and for people that have never cruised and only phoned or registed on line The cruises use that list to email or mail out to as well.

As my wife is Mrs. William Dean, would it not be entirely appropriate that the cruise line assume that the brochure should be sent to me?

More seriously, what does it matter? I thought that the idea was that the wife decided, and then worked on her husband to make him think that the idea was his along. Flattering his ego, and getting her own way.

Am I wrong? :)

WD

Same here ladies and it is irratateing, My DH does not know how to book a cruise or use a computer for that matter .If it were not for me he would have never of gotten on a ship to begin with!

Yet everything is addressed to him:rolleyes:

BTW: All credit cards were mine before we were togather I am the primary holder,so that is not the reason he is addresed in all mailings only.

Princess needs to stop this sextist behavior! ..lol Okay off my soap box!

As my wife is Mrs. William Dean, would it not be entirely appropriate that the cruise line assume that the brochure should be sent to me?

More seriously, what does it matter? I thought that the idea was that the wife decided, and then worked on her husband to make him think that the idea was his along. Flattering his ego, and getting her own way.

WD

lol I agree who cares who they/ cruise lines send the bochure to wife or hubby or the dog, as long as you get a brochure and go on a cruise.

...................................................................................................

lol ..Not in our house I look for the cruise,do all the planning and mostly pay for it. I keep my husband in the manner to which he has become accustom!! ..lol.

(JK)

It does not matter to me who does what in our household however when a company i pay good money to chooses to ignore me that is a problem!

Reader

lol I agree who cares who they/ cruise lines send the bochure to wife or hubby or the dog, as long as you get a brochure and go on a cruise.

I don't think the dog should be trusted. At least I wouldn't trust either of ours, as neither has any idea of the value of money.

WD

I don't think the dog should be trusted. At least I wouldn't trust either of ours, as neither has any idea of the value of money.

WD

If my dog got the brochure he would hide it as he's sick of me leaving him and sending him off to puppy vacation care LOL

It's seems to be the standard in all mail..I have a bank

account that I started when I was a child, a few years ago

I put my husbands name on it as well and now all mail

from them comes addressed to him:confused: Its like I no longer

matter:mad:

Any cruise mail in our house is fair game no matter who is

on the front whoever gets to it first reads it:p:D

None of the theories apply to me in the case of P&O mail.

With Princess it is either me or my 16 yr old daughter so I get the mail!

Back to P&O .. I never received ANY mail until I took a boyfriend with me on a cruise and used my address for his details (he is now my ex).

The mail is now all addressed to him!! Needless to say I am the one who reads it ... hahaha ... it is definitely sexist.

Well I guess we are just different...might have something to do with being Queenslanders.:D

Mail we get from Princess is addressed to us both..viz John and Shirley ... seems very appropriate as neither of us cruise independantly.

cheers

Hi,

Whio cares who gets sent the info.....going by your cruise history you are very \lucky to have experienced so many wonderful cruises....some people never get to cruise or holiday at all....if whose name appears on the mailing list or who organises and pays for the cruise means 2 things....you have too much time on your hands or you have separate bank accounts.

You both agree and go anyway.....whoever the info is addressed to is of little significance and certainly not sexist.

enjoy your cruising and dont worry about nothing...maybe think how lucky we are to be in a position to holiday regularly.

Archived