No ironing/steaming onboard ships?

sargemrs

I read somewhere in these threads about irons not being allowed. What about steamers? I wear dresses/skirts every day and sure don't want to be wrinkled and don't want to give over my delicate fabric things to be possibly ruined by a hot ironer? I've already bought the travel Downy wrinkle relaxer spray and WILL hang clothes in bathroom to asorb the steam but really hate to rely on all that for a week. Any ideas from you seasoned mariners on HAL?

Pack clothes that travel well. Limit delicate fabrics and special care clothes to items that won't need washing or cleaning or pressing during the cruise. Except for a couple of formal items, we don't take anything that can't be sent to the laundry.

Pack clothes that travel well. Limit delicate fabrics and special care clothes to items that won't need washing or cleaning or pressing during the cruise. Except for a couple of formal items, we don't take anything that can't be sent to the laundry.

I get free laundry and I still do some hard washing. I won't send my pants because they laundry seems to fade stuff out. I also don't want them to shrink. Even my yoga pants say to wash in cold water and not to dry them. I wonder what you take.

Rolling your clothes --- with tissue paper for the more delicate items -will minimize wrinkles. Also, you will have a lot more room in your luggage. With the exception of DH's dress shirts --- just about 99 % of our wardrobe are knits. I understand the laundry on board is very

careful with your items -- you might want to check out some of the

other postings about this subject. If you take a steamer --- probably

will be taken out of your luggage when it is scanned.

Rolling your clothes --- with tissue paper for the more delicate items -will minimize wrinkles. Also, you will have a lot more room in your luggage. With the exception of DH's dress shirts --- just about 99 % of our wardrobe are knits. I understand the laundry on board is very

careful with your items -- you might want to check out some of the

other postings about this subject. If you take a steamer --- probably

will be taken out of your luggage when it is scanned.

I don't think the laundry is careful at all. They wash everything in hot water and put it on a hot dry. I do roll my clothes but it doesn't help with wrinkling. I'm out of the house 11 hours a day so I'm lucky if I can get packed for vacation never mind rolling everything in tissue paper:eek:. I think a more practical option is getting a pressing package. I'm not aware of anywhere in Canada that you can get wrinkle release.

You didn't mention which ship you would be sailing on.

These ships have self-service laundry room where there is an iron and ironing board: Ryndam, Statendam, Veendam, Maasdom. Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Volendam, Zaandam and Prinsendam.

These ships do not have self-service laundries: Oosterdam, Zuiderdam, Westerdam, Noordam, Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam.

The majority of my clothes are nylon-tricot and the wrinkles fall out once I hang them up. And the majority of my clothes are packed for 4 - 5 days before we unpack on the ship.

I only send clothes to the laundry and dry cleaning that I know won't be ruined by hot water and hot irons.

Irons and steamers in a cabin are a fire hazzard.

And there are your answers fro experienced cruisers!! I must admit that I do not see people with wrinkled clothes on. I think there is a company called "Travelsmith" or something like that who carry clothes made for traveling. Easy to handwash and wrinkle free is what they claim.

I do have a pair of pants, a skirt and a black dress made from wrinkle free material and combine these with colored tops and jackets to look like a new outfit each day. I rinse things out and hang them on the clothesline in the bathroom when I am on the Vista ships. I have washed clothes in the washers of the older ships and sent laundry out once on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Everything was in good shape. They do such a beautiful job with deliver of the laundry.

I don't think the laundry is careful at all. They wash everything in hot water and put it on a hot dry. I do roll my clothes but it doesn't help with wrinkling. I'm out of the house 11 hours a day so I'm lucky if I can get packed for vacation never mind rolling everything in tissue paper:eek:. I think a more practical option is getting a pressing package. I'm not aware of anywhere in Canada that you can get wrinkle release.

I purchased Downy Wrinkle Release at our local Guardian drugstore

You can buy the "pressing package" on board some ships which will allow unlimited "pressing" (not cleaning) of your clothes while on board.

We use the ship's laundry service ($20/bag) for washing undies, socks, pants ("Docker" type of khakis/black pants for DH and me), shirts (dress, T, and knit tops), nightwear (I sent a nice fancy nightgown that was old so I knew it was an "experiment" and it came back beautiful), and bras. I knew they had carefully dried things because a lined bra came back just a tad damp as did a nice knit PJ, so I knew they had been careful. A bag holds 5-6 days' of clothes for us...comes back ironed and on hangers.

Prinsendam had laundry services on board that included an ironing area which was crowded.

Lorene---try a luggage shop for wrinkle release spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I purchased Downy Wrinkle Release at our local Guardian drugstore

Thank you both for the suggestion. I will keep an eye out for it.

As someone else said, your iron or steamer will probably be taken out when you go through security (ships scan luggage too!). Another thing - unless you're in one of the largest cabins, there won't be enough flat space anywhere to iron anything on, not even a sleeve. Take microfiber clothes or "travelers" from Chico's, Magellan's or TravelSmith. Besides, the ambient humidity anywhere on an ocean really seems to take care of any wrinkles. I've carried Downy Wrinkle Release Spray on at least the last dozen cruises and have yet to use it!

And there are your answers fro experienced cruisers!! I must admit that I do not see people with wrinkled clothes on. I think there is a company called "Travelsmith" or something like that who carry clothes made for traveling. Easy to handwash and wrinkle free is what they claim. .....

I have not had good luck with Travelsmith fabrics even when they claim you can just toss them in your suitcase and be ready to go. Also have had terrible static cling problems with their "nano-particle" fabrics. Cute designs and I love some of the items I got, but I do have to take extra care with them -way more than other fabrics that are just plain good fabrics like I get mainly from Talbots.

Talbots hits it down the middle for me for cruise clothes - simple designs, very packable fabrics, nice cut and tailoring, and mix and matchable around a simple color scheme to cut down on the shoes. There newer designs have gotten a little too trendy for me, but their old classic separates and dresses are still in my travel wardrobe.

Linen has been the surprising travel fabric for me -- good for the tropics, washes and dries very easily with just smoothing a dripping wet garment and it dries is just a few hours and yes, it looks rumpled easily but somehow that is the look for the tropics. It is especially pleasant to put on slightly damp and let its own natural air conditioning properties do their work -- something about linen fibers having hollow tubes that allows for good air circulation.

Fodor's makes the case for linen: http://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-trip-ideas/the-case-for-linen.cfm

We always send clothes to the laundry and I've never had anything ruined. They starch & press Ed's shirts and they look a lot better than when we get them done here. Also, I use plastic dry cleaner bags to wrap my clothes that wrinkle and it seems to help a lot. And, they seem to stay more wrinkle free the tighter you pack them

Well, thanks for all the responses. I will try to take no-iron things as much as I can and pack in the cleaner bags and hope for the best. If absolutely necessary I guess I can get things pressed as I don't think they would approve my steamer as it has a small soleplate as well, unless I can get a regular small steamer. We are going on the Oosterdam in August.

Archived