suit or tux?

SusanNJ

I tried to pay attention on our Whisper cruiise this past April and would say that 75% were tuxes /white dinner jackets and the rest were dark suits. It appeared to be full compliance in the MDR and was absolutely delightful.

We aren't cruising until next March but I'm already planning on taking my tux and maybe my white dinner jacket. Of course I'll also be taking at least one sports coat so weight and space is becoming an issue for a 14-day cruise plus another four or five days for pre and post cruise travel and touring.

can he get away with only sport coat and tie??he did this last mo.on Seabourn on formal nite,,and we ate in smallers rest,,not MDR and he was fine and fit in ,,can he do this on SS,,or may be stuck with room service,,or is patio dining open??Sorry, this is a deal breaker for him,,,should we just not go because of it,,or are they flexible???:confused:

I have worn both a tux (no dinner jacket, all black) and a navy blue suit for various SS formal nights. Did not feel out of place in either; plenty of others in both types of formal wear. I would say it's completely a matter of personal preference.

Another factor to consider is - which garment fits more loosely now, before the cruise? Usually by the last formal night prior to disembarkation, my tux seems to have shrunk a bit due to the constant exposure to the salty air! :eek:

can he get away with only sport coat and tie??he did this last mo.on Seabourn on formal nite,,and we ate in smallers rest,,not MDR and he was fine and fit in ,,can he do this on SS,,or may be stuck with room service,,or is patio dining open??Sorry, this is a deal breaker for him,,,should we just not go because of it,,or are they flexible???:confused:

Or, are you flexible? Anyway, your question has been properly answered.

Stay out of MDR on formal night and everyone should be pleased.

I have worn both a tux (no dinner jacket, all black) and a navy blue suit for various SS formal nights. Did not feel out of place in either; plenty of others in both types of formal wear. I would say it's completely a matter of personal preference.

Another factor to consider is - which garment fits more loosely now, before the cruise? Usually by the last formal night prior to disembarkation, my tux seems to have shrunk a bit due to the constant exposure to the salty air! :eek:

So that's what causes the shrinkage of trouser waistbands! What a relief. :D

I kind of figure....actually hope....that since our upcoming cruise is so port intensive that the exposure to salt air will be reduced by being tied up to a pier so much. Doesn't that allow the shrinkage to be transferred down the mooring lines to land??? :rolleyes::) Seriously, actually have gotten off cruises lighter than when I started. Back then I was working and didn't get as much exercise as I do today. A cruise with a lot of destinations was actually a workout. Lot better than a friend who went on a Caribbean cruise when he was living in Alaska. He was one of those "if they prepare the food they must expect me to eat it" so he did. Traveled back to Alaska in January in shorts....it was the only thing that fit. :D

Going out of Copenhagen. Did notice on our last Seabourn cruise that the dress code was considerably relaxed. I do not recall more than a handful in true formal dress. With the way the airlines are and Silverseas is flying us by Icelandic and Delta Iwould rather keep things less complicated and my suitcases lighter.

We did a Seabourn in 2009 in the Caribbean that may have been a tad less formal than our Mediterranean in 2010 on SS, but as I write this, I don't really think so. On Seabourn were constantly being placed at tables with various ship officers/ personnel, and the passengers were consistently dressed very well, even on the informal/semi formal nights.

Men seem to be able to dress up quite easily in that dark suit, white shirt and tie, so I don't think there should be too much angst for formal nights, especially with the alternative restaurant available. And for us ladies, lightweight black slacks and glitzy tops also pack well, and for me, the season of the dress has come about at a great time. Every time I am at a department or ladies' clothing store I see a ton of nice lightweight and packable dresses that would work for most evenings. Accessories can dress up an outfit from casual to the semi formal level without taking up much space.

My problem with packing is not the evenings, but daytime, for the various shore activities. Not being sure of weather, and all that make it hard for me to know what to pack. And I want to leave room to bring back a few goodies!

Have just finished our first non Expedition cruise.On the Shadow.I have to say I was not looking forward to formal nights.My Dinner suit(formal wear for aussies)had been in the wardrobe for years.Because we live next to the sea it had shrunk.

But the beautiful Rojaan insisted I buy a new one-incidentally it also shrunk after being exposed to the salt air of the Northern Pacific.

I must say I ended up enjoying the experience and even on informal nights would wear a jacket and bow tie.

Others however were not so attired and there were examples of a jacket and white T shirt being worn on formal nights-nothing was said.

Interestingly enough, sea salt air has the SAME affect on formal gowns! Who knew?

I brought a gown for sailing on the Spirit last fall and went for a last fitting about 5 days prior to sailing. Well, we spent a few days in Portugal prior to sailing (lots of seasalt air there) and the formal night wasn't until the 3rd night, I think. So my poor gown was hanging in the closet TOTALLY exposed to the sea air.

On the night of the formal, the damn salt air certainly reared it's ugly head and I could not do up the zipper of my lovely gown. Tossed off the undergarments...still no zip. DH frantically stretching the two seams to meet...still no zip. 911 call to our butler who joined in the reindeer games while DH pulled the seams together while I pulled the gown up while the butler pulled up the zipper. SUCCESS! Couldn't breath and I lasted about 1.5 hours before yanking that sea-a-salt-ed gown off~ :D

I think it was the only thing we ever asked of our Butler the entire trip, LOL!

But to answer the OP...on our med cruise last fall, the majority were suits and only a small % in tuxes (my husband being one of them).

Thanks making me smile, northerncheapo! I am going to have to find some way to insulate my clothing from that salty air for my upcoming cruise, as well as bring a lot of spanx with me.:D

Archived