Pneumonia and going to the Infirmary

We just got off the Freedom on Sunday. DH started feeling bad on Wednesday (at the foot of Dunn's River Falls!) and got progressively worse each day, suspecting another bout of pneumonia, which he'd had 20 years ago. He asked about going to the infirmary, hoping to get antibiotics so he could nip this thing in the bud, but it was my understanding they are only there for traumas (like the girl who broke her arm on the Flow Rider) and I'm-about-to-die levels of sickness (like our friend who got terrible food poisoning on another cruise, and ended up being ambulanced to a Puerta Vallarta hospital while they were in port).

He quarantined himself when he realized it wasn't a sniffles kind of bug and never passed up an opportunity to use the hand sanitizers on the ship. We headed to a walk-in clinic as soon as we disembarked and sure enough, he's got pneumonia.

My question is, would it have made any difference for him to go to the infirmary, or would they just have quarantined him and me for the rest of the cruise, instructing him to see a doc off the ship once we disembarked?

I doubt they would have "quarantined" him...pneumonia isn't usually that contagious....but an antibiotic might have helped. Having had pneumonia 3 times, I can attest that I would have been in bed, in my cabin....it makes you feel AWFUL...at least, it did to me! No way could I have been going "out and about" and having fun while ill with pneumonia.

My question is, would it have made any difference for him to go to the infirmary, or would they just have quarantined him and me for the rest of the cruise, instructing him to see a doc off the ship once we disembarked?

I don't know - what was your bill at the walk in clinic?

Our bill for being treated for pneumonia while on Radiance last year was almost $3000. :eek:

On the plus side, it was while sail pass charges to the Royal Caribbean visa were triple points. :D

Our bill for being treated for pneumonia while on Radiance last year was almost $3000. :eek:

On the plus side, it was while sail pass charges to the Royal Caribbean visa were triple points. :D

While on the Freedom, my wife felt a little under the weather, we went to the infirmary, she got a shot, some test and a $800 bill on our room card. a good night sleep and she was a new person the next day.

My insurance at the time did reimburse us, and the travel insurance picked up the rest. No point system on the card attached at the time, but next time there will be!

While on the Freedom, my wife felt a little under the weather, we went to the infirmary, she got a shot, some test and a $800 bill on our room card. a good night sleep and she was a new person the next day.

My insurance at the time did reimburse us, and the travel insurance picked up the rest. No point system on the card attached at the time, but next time there will be!

Yes, I had a similarly large bill while on the Navigator a few years ago. But, more importantly, I received excellent care and lost only 1 day. I could have waited until I got home & been sick for the remaining 5 days & the flight home.

Now THAT'S taking lemons and making lemonade! ;)

You should have taken him to the dr on board.

I caught Noro-virus on our recent Brilliance cruise and the medical staff were wonderful. 2 injections in the butt, 3 different medications and 2 visits with the dr and all free. Of course they don't want that spread around the ship so they don't charge and I was too sick to do anything any but stay in bed. Only good thing about being sick was the excellent care I received, the free bottles of water and soda and as many pay for movies that I cared to watch.

Yes, I had a similarly large bill while on the Navigator a few years ago. But, more importantly, I received excellent care and lost only 1 day. I could have waited until I got home & been sick for the remaining 5 days & the flight home.

Oh, we felt Mr. KF received excellent care on the ship. I don't really know how much the bill would have been if we had been at home, but according to the ship's doctor, it would have included several days in the hospital. We had to file with our regular health insurance first, get them to reject reimbursement, then file with the travel insurance. It took several months but in the end we received full reimbursement from the travel insurance. Good reminder that no matter how you are paying your sail pass charges (cash or debit or credit card), you need to have some way to take care of an unexpected, unplanned expense like this, even if you have travel insurance!

I wouldn't take the risk with something like pneumonia, there's no harm in asking if a doctor can help and it could get a lot worse if left untreated. I doubt the ships doctors want passengers to get seriously ill just to save themselves some work!

I am pretty much the pneumonia queen! I've had it 5 times with in the past 10 years....hospitalized twice with it! I carry a Z pack with me every where we travel, the minute I feel anything even close to a cold or upper respiratory I take my z pack and then got to a doctor. Those are my doctors orders!! :eek: :D

The infirmary is there for everything from scrapes and broken bones to sniffles and pneumonia. They take care of everyone for what ever reason.

Hope your DH is feeling better!!

The infirmary is not reserved for major issues only. My sister in law forgot her thyroid meds and didn't bother to tell us, after about three days was acting like the"cruiser from hell"

The Infirmary had the meds she needed on hand by luck and salvaged the cruise

Thank you, thank you everyone! MOST enlightening!!

I forgot to purchase travel insurance this time, and we have the world's worst insurance, so we probably came out ahead money-wise by waiting. But your insight and experience has been invaluable to me, and I am grateful for your posts!

He is gradually getting better, glad to say. We need to cruise on the FOS again so he can enjoy the entire week!

I appreciate your posts. Really. And while I was apparently the recipient of some wrong information at some point, I love being set straight! :D

You never want to have to visit the infirmary on a cruise. BUT sometimes you just cannot wait to see a doctor. I've found them to be generally helpful and knowledgeable (and yes, expensive). It's better to go and be out the money than to not go and miss out on even more of your vacation.

but it was my understanding they are only there for traumas (like the girl who broke her arm on the Flow Rider)

Hi, that was my daughter who broke her wrist! It was a bummer to start our vacation like that but medical was great. We were impressed how the injury was handled. We didn't let it ruin our fun, we love the Freedom!

Sorry to hear your husband had pnuemonia and glad to hear that he is recovering.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I sit hear wondering why no one goes to the doctor before a trip, cruise etc and asks for a broad spectrum antibiotic to take with you. We always go to our private physician for an antibiotic before our trips and it has saved us a trip to a Jamaican dr just this last...

We always take antibiotics with us too. In our case, my son didn't start with symptoms until Saturday so wanted to give him a chance to work thru it first with Sudafed, Mucinex etc. By yesterday I knew I gave it enough time and got him on the antibiotic.

Sorry to hear your husband had pnuemonia and glad to hear that he is recovering.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I sit hear wondering why no one goes to the doctor before a trip, cruise etc and asks for a broad spectrum antibiotic to take with you. We always go to our private physician for an antibiotic before our trips and it has saved us a trip to a Jamaican dr just this last...

I don't ask my MD for any antibiotics to take with me that I am not already taking. I can't see how it would be helpful to ask for them just in case. It would be difficult to self diagnose accurately (sometimes the symptoms are the same for a virus and an bacteria infection), and figure out the correct dosage.

Also, antibiotics are not as harmless as one would think. Most of them carry risk of serious side effects (Stevens Johnson Syndrome for instance), and can often interact with other medications. Antibiotic resistance is a also a problem when people take antibiotics for extended periods of time or not as ordered.

I'm a little surprised that MD's hand out antibiotics "just in case" they are needed :eek:.

I don't ask my MD for any antibiotics to take with me that I am not already taking. I can't see how it would be helpful to ask for them just in case. It would be difficult to self diagnose accurately (sometimes the symptoms are the same for a virus and an bacteria infection), and figure out the correct dosage.

Also, antibiotics are not as harmless as one would think. Most of them carry risk of serious side effects (Stevens Johnson Syndrome for instance), and can often interact with other medications. Antibiotic resistance is a also a problem when people take antibiotics for extended periods of time or not as ordered.

I'm a little surprised that MD's hand out antibiotics "just in case" they are needed :eek:.

I so agree with this.

Nowadays too many people take antibiotics too often. Unless you are medically qualified to diagnose what is wrong with you, you should not take an antibiotic.

Pneumonia can be caused by bacteria or viral infection. Antibiotics have no effect on viruses.

Even if you do have a bacterial infection (not a viral infection) you should only take antibiotics under medical supervision.

The only way I could get antibiotics for "just in case" is if I robbed a pharmacy! My doctor wouldn't even consider it.............

Thank you, thank you everyone! MOST enlightening!!

I forgot to purchase travel insurance this time, and we have the world's worst insurance, so we probably came out ahead money-wise by waiting. But your insight and experience has been invaluable to me, and I am grateful for your posts!

He is gradually getting better, glad to say. We need to cruise on the FOS again so he can enjoy the entire week!

I appreciate your posts. Really. And while I was apparently the recipient of some wrong information at some point, I love being set straight! :D

I am so glad to hear your DH is getting better. Being sick on vacation really stinks! My DH got sick on vacation this past Jan and he was miserable, we missed many things we planned to do because the upper respiratory infection he picked up triggered his A-Fib which only made him feel worse.

To those who question about being able to do things when you have pneumonia - back in the day when I smoked I came down with pneumonia each winter and missed very little work and was never hospitalized.

I am so glad you Carol and Phoenix mentioned this. I recall one time using a leftover antibiotic to self medicate something and my dr when I did go read me the riot act. My niece is a walking demonstration of the problems with the over prescribing of antibiotics. She was so over treated as a small child she is now resistant and even simple things like strep throat is a major illness for her.

My daughter had multiple ear infections as a child. They tried tubes at 13 months. She ended up with mastioditis at age 6. She had many sinus infections as a teenager. So as a result, she was on a lot of antibiotics. We always followed all the directions for taking meds. When she went to India about 5 years ago with her boyfriend's family (they are now married), her doctor gave her antibiotics just in case she had a problem. She also took malaria pills.

When she was on her first cruise with us a couple of years ago, she got seasick. She went to the clinic twice to get shots and pills. The two visits were about $275. She was not quarintined.

For her honeymoon, they went on a cruise but she took pills and the patch with her and had no problems.

Archived