Pneumonia and going to the Infirmary

Hi, that was my daughter who broke her wrist! It was a bummer to start our vacation like that but medical was great. We were impressed how the injury was handled.

Loeytalldog, thanks for ringing in here! Would you mind sharing what the medical staff did when she got hurt so we have an idea of how they handle injuries?

I was impressed by your daughter's shiny, happy face and complete lack of self-pity despite her broken arm. (I was on my scooter in the elevator when we chatted quickly about her Flow Rider accident.) Way to go on helping your kids CHOOSE to have a good time no matter what!

Sue

Ladies, I see your point, but on the other hand, I'm 51yrs old and have gotten relatively good at self diagnosis over the years :D I realize there is a difference between viral and bacterial infections and if I was really sick, I'd probably visit the nurse or doctor, it wouldn't matter, but If I get a UTI or something of that nature I'm thankful for the antibiotics my doctor is kind enough to give me. Sure some doctors aren't comfortable in doing this, but when your doc is the same one you have had for over 30 years, and has a running knowledge of your complete medical history, I see no reason for him not to. I am, and always have been healthy as a horse and do not abuse medicine. I hate taking it anyway, but like I said. I am thankful to have it along just in case.

Ladies, I see your point, but on the other hand, I'm 51yrs old and have gotten relatively good at self diagnosis over the years :D I realize there is a difference between viral and bacterial infections and if I was really sick, I'd probably visit the nurse or doctor, it wouldn't matter, but If I get a UTI or something of that nature I'm thankful for the antibiotics my doctor is kind enough to give me. Sure some doctors aren't comfortable in doing this, but when your doc is the same one you have had for over 30 years, and has a running knowledge of your complete medical history, I see no reason for him not to. I am, and always have been healthy as a horse and do not abuse medicine. I hate taking it anyway, but like I said. I am thankful to have it along just in case.

...it brought back memories of a few years back.

You only need to have a UTI once in your life to be able to self diagnose this & realize you need meds ASAP before the real pain sets in.

We were a few days in to our Caribbean cruise when I got the 'warning' signs. I immediately went down to the infirmary where there was a VERY elderly doctor. I explained what I had & he started to look through his drugs. He said.....and I am quoting exact..."I could give you some of this but it probably would not help or I could give you some of that

but that probably wouldn't help either !"

I looked over at my husband in dismay & then said to the doctor...."how about something that MIGHT help !"

He then started flipping through a very large pharmacy book. He ended up giving me a few cipro pills.

TO ALL OF YOU WHO BRING YOUR ANTIBIOTICS ON.....YOU ARE WISER THAN YOU KNOW !

The only way I could get antibiotics for "just in case" is if I robbed a pharmacy! My doctor wouldn't even consider it.............

My first 2 trips to India, I was given a pack of Cipro with instructions as to when to use it. (Basically, try Pepto Bismol first, but if symptoms which I will not decsribe persist...) I never used them although there was one time I probably should have- I prefer to avoid them for the reasons stated above.

My husband, OTOH, just got over a nasty case of pneumonia that nearly landed him in the hospital. He's 72 and the same cold that hits both of us will morph into bronchitis or worse in him. He WILL be taking Cipro with him "just in case" when we go to Alaska next year. He's as cautious as I am about not over-using antibiotics, but neither of us wants a repeat of that pneumonia.

Sorry to hear your husband had pnuemonia and glad to hear that he is recovering.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I sit hear wondering why no one goes to the doctor before a trip, cruise etc and asks for a broad spectrum antibiotic to take with you. We always go to our private physician for an antibiotic before our trips and it has saved us a trip to a Jamaican dr just this last...

I think doctors that prescribe meds "just in case" are probably pretty rare. I've never known of one that did.

I doubt they would have "quarantined" him...pneumonia isn't usually that contagious....but an antibiotic might have helped. Having had pneumonia 3 times, I can attest that I would have been in bed, in my cabin....it makes you feel AWFUL...at least, it did to me! No way could I have been going "out and about" and having fun while ill with pneumonia.

Oh really?

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I sit hear wondering why no one goes to the doctor before a trip, cruise etc and asks for a broad spectrum antibiotic to take with you. We always go to our private physician for an antibiotic before our trips and it has saved us a trip to a Jamaican dr just this last...

I sit here wondering why don't you go to your doctor and ask for a broad spectrum antibiotic to just keep at home for whenever you think you might need it?:rolleyes:

If doctors would stop handing them out "on request" we might not have many of the issues that we now have with resistance.

I am pretty much the pneumonia queen! I've had it 5 times with in the past 10 years....hospitalized twice with it! I carry a Z pack with me every where we travel, the minute I feel anything even close to a cold or upper respiratory I take my z pack and then got to a doctor. Those are my doctors orders!! :eek: :D

The infirmary is there for everything from scrapes and broken bones to sniffles and pneumonia. They take care of everyone for what ever reason.

Hope your DH is feeling better!!

Good grief, :eek: I just re-read my post.....correction....I had pneumonia twice with in the past 10 years.

Not that it matters.....LOL

I sit here wondering why don't you go to your doctor and ask for a broad spectrum antibiotic to just keep at home for whenever you think you might need it?:rolleyes:

Ocean Boy, now why would I do that when our family doctor is a few miles away? BTW - We travel to Jamaica every year and have for the past 7 years. We are just returned from runaway bay (6/20) I wouldn't dream of vacationing there WITHOUT an antibiotic and a travel size can of lysol.

Requesting an antibiotic is for me a matter of choice regardless of weather you or anyone else agree's with it.

If doctors would stop handing them out "on request" we might not have many of the issues that we now have with resistance.

True.. I understand your point. In my case however I do not take them unless absolutely necessary, therefore resistance to them is the farthest thing from my mind.

Ocean Boy, now why would I do that when our family doctor is a few miles away? BTW - We travel to Jamaica every year and have for the past 7 years. We are just returned from runaway bay (6/20) I wouldn't dream of vacationing there WITHOUT an antibiotic and a travel size can of lysol.

Requesting an antibiotic is for me a matter of choice regardless of weather you or anyone else agree's with it.

True.. I understand your point. In my case however I do not take them unless absolutely necessary, therefore resistance to them is the farthest thing from my mind.

And I understand your point with the lysol.:D

I just want everyone to know, I never mean't any disrespect with my initial question. I guess I should have worded it a bit differently. If I have offended anyone, it was not my intent and for that I am sorry.

Oceanboy, Everyting Irie Mon :D

i just want everyone to know, i never mean't any disrespect with my initial question. I guess i should have worded it a bit differently. If i have offended anyone, it was not my intent and for that i am sorry.

Oceanboy, everyting irie mon :d

Funny...:D:D

Oh really?

Re this response to "pneumonia isn't that contagious"- I had bacterial pneumonia about 15 years ago. I was in one of those sweatshop work environments and insisted on going to the office anyway. I asked my sister the doctor if there was any danger of my co-workers catching it and she said, "only if you have sex with them". I didn't and they didn't.

Re this response to "pneumonia isn't that contagious"- I had bacterial pneumonia about 15 years ago. I was in one of those sweatshop work environments and insisted on going to the office anyway. I asked my sister the doctor if there was any danger of my co-workers catching it and she said, "only if you have sex with them". I didn't and they didn't.

Your sister, the doctor, must have taken a different infectious disease class than I did.:rolleyes:

I am the QUEEN of UTIs. I get them all the time and have been getting them for 40 years now. My doctor always lets me keep an extra bottle of pills so when I get one I can start the pills right away. 75% of the time I get them on vacation. I don't know why, but I do.

Kathy

Loeytalldog, thanks for ringing in here! Would you mind sharing what the medical staff did when she got hurt so we have an idea of how they handle injuries?

I was impressed by your daughter's shiny, happy face and complete lack of self-pity despite her broken arm. (I was on my scooter in the elevator when we chatted quickly about her Flow Rider accident.) Way to go on helping your kids CHOOSE to have a good time no matter what!

Sue

Hi Sue, sorry I'm just answering this now. It's been a busy week trying to catch up on stuff! Thank you for your nice comments on my daughter and us too! It's nice to hear how we parent works!

She broke it during a group flow rider lesson. My son, Nicholas, continued with group lessons for the remainder of the week and we discovered that some instructors instructed and others just played. We knew something was wrong when her board tipped over and she hit the back wall of the flowrider hard. She came off holding her arm. We didn't go to medical until the next morning because we were hoping if we iced it, it would get better. I think we were just in denial with it being the first day of our vacation. Jim took her to medical first thing. They took them in right away, x-rayed it and then said it was broke. The Dr. met with Jim and then met with Jim and I later that day to explain everything. He was very nice, took us in his office, we sat down, went over the x-ray and our options. Options were they could non waterproof cast it or we could fly back to the US from Grand Cayman. We chose to have them cast it, and emailed my sister to make an appointment at the pediatric orthopedist, for the day after we returned. We thought water proof cast wasn't worth disrupting our vacation. Within 1/2 hour of Jim taking her to medical, safety was there asking how it happened etc. Later that afternoon someone called to give me her name/number as a contact for anything we needed. They gave Emily free in-room movies and an arcade credit which we thought was very nice. They also allowed us to change our excursions at no charge since we couldn't do water based stuff.

Their attitude helped us make the best of things!

Lois

Thanks for the explanation, Lois! I'm always so glad to hear when people and companies do things right--the right attitude, a can-do perspective, never losing track of the fact that it's about people.

Hope Emily heals quickly! The story of HOW she broke her arm earns her a medal of honor among her peers, I think! :D

Sue

Archived