How soon is too soon?...

chels08

To pack?

I absolutely cannot wait for my cruise (Only 28 more days!), and I want to pack NOW, NOW, NOW!

Am I crazy?

I have already compiled my packing list, and have been picking up essentials and toiletries here and there.

How soon (or late) do you pack before your cruise?

I usually start a week before we leave. The first thing I do is take DH shirts to the cleaners to have them laundered, starched, wrapped and boxed. The tux is always cleaned as soon as we get home from a cruise so that is good to go. Same with any of my evening clothes. As far as the clothes that we will use for daytime, I will start deciding and laying the outfits together in a a suitcase.

Then I take a large suitcase and keep it handy just to put things in as I think of them. Then the last couple of days before we are ready to leave, I will pack everything as it should be.

I go ahead and pack all of my toilet articles the night before and just use what I need the next morning before we put them in the car. Of course we drive to the port, so packing is so much easier than if we were flying.

To pack?

I absolutely cannot wait for my cruise (Only 28 more days!), and I want to pack NOW, NOW, NOW!

Am I crazy?

I have already compiled my packing list, and have been picking up essentials and toiletries here and there.

How soon (or late) do you pack before your cruise?

Oh, gosh... my cruise is more than 8 months away and I could pretty much pack right now! :eek: I have been taking advantage of all the summer sales to buy some new things, so I'm pretty much set to go. i could be ready in 2 hours... anyone need a last-minute cruise buddy?? :D

Craziness aside though... when my time comes, I will probably do a dry run two weekends prior (finalize what outfits make "the list," make sure everything fits into a small carry-on suitcase and also make a list of things missing/needed). That way, I have one more weekend to do any last-minute running around and to prepack. Since I work outside of the home and will be travelling with my DH and both teenage sons, I would not even think about leaving my packing until the last minute. I'll get mine done a week before because I know we'll probably be doing theirs mere hours before we leave.

Have fun...it's so close...

We leave for our cruise on Sept 1. I'll start laying out items in the guest room the first weekend in August (only because we're going away the last weekend in July - otherwise I could start now) Have the packing list already customized (I have a standard packing list I've developed over years and just adapt it by trip) I could pack the night before if I needed to - I have toiletries & travel stuff ready to go and I pretty much know what I need to pack - but I like to pack in advance if I have time & space to do so. Clothing will go in last since (other than formal dresses) I don't have a separate "cruise" wardrobe....But this vacation will be the Black Sea and I'll want to check the weather forecast right before travel to make sure we have the right layers packed. Of course I am tracking "average" temps - but a forecast right before we leave will be helpful!

I get everything gathered, unless it's something I'll need at home, before we leave! I don't actually put stuff in the suitcase until the night before we leave....things get too many creases if you pack too soon!

The best packing experience I ever had was for a 68 day grand voyage. The bags were to be picked up by FedEx 10 days before the cruise. That forced me to get it done except for a carryon. The wonderful part was that I then had ten days to relax and get my house in order with the packing off my mind. It was over/done/gone. No more stress. I was amazed to discover that the clothing was in the same shape I would have expected had I packed the night before the cruise.

For me, the actual packing part is easy and I usually do it the night before. But, I've already started my packing list in terms of what to bring and my cruise isn't until beginning of Dec. . A little crazy I know, but I figure I have my summer clothes out now and have a little time on my hands, so why not? When December rolls around and I'm crazy busy again, I'll appreciate the time I took now....(well that's how I rationalize it!)

Andrea

my cruise is in December but i could pack now if i had the extra room

all the lists are done i do that the minute i book a cruise, which was last December.

i will start getting everything together which is basically packed in the luggage we will be taking from the last cruise--i pretty much have things just for cruising

about 6 weeks before i will be trying on everything and putting everything together

and start packing at least 2 weeks before.

i am so READY to START NOW!!

I'll probably do laundry the day before, pack the morning of. (We can drive to the port in about 75 minutes for our next cruise.)

I have started a small list of things I don't want to forget, like the binoculars and Advil.

Our cruise is next Feb and I have already started to gather together a variety of bits and pieces we´ll need in a spare case. New T shirts, wooly hat, fingerless gloves, over door hanger and lots of odds and ends. Because next years cruise is a ´biggy´for us 40 days, we´re not going away this year, so all the planning, compiling packing lists etc helps.

Sandy in Spain

I always get out suit cases and start laying out items about 2 wks before, I always put out way more than I need, so then every day or two I eliminate something so by the time it is time to pack it all , I am taking less clothes, I have a spare room that I use to do this , so it works. Silly I know but that seems to work for me.

I've noticed the sooner I begin packing, the more I pack! For my first cruise, I packed on-and-off for weeks and had WAY too much. I also started to lose track of what I had packed. Then I started packing stuff just to fill up the bags (not thinking I'd want to bring back souveniers. The anticipation of the cruise is part of the fun of the cruise for me. I fight the urge to prematurely pack and I now try and pack just a few days before. I end up packing the essentials and I remember what I put where!

It's never too soon to start!:D We're not leaving until 8/1/11 and I've already got the suitcase on the bed in the guest room and have started trying on and putting together outfits. I really enjoy getting ready for the cruise almost as much as the cruise itself. I make a list of things I need and then I go searching for it. I love to shop!:D

We don't leave till Oct. 15th, but I've already got one big storage bin full of stuff to take, this started about 15 months ago, when we booked the trip:D .

My list is ready, 90% of my stuff is bought, except I am going to get a new cocktail dress.

I'll start actually putting stuff in the suitcases around Oct. 1st, & be done packing a week before we leave, except for the last minute stuff we need to keep out.

Oh my gosh, I am so the opposite of most of you! It would drive me nuts to pack so early, plus I'd forget everything I'd packed and have to take things out and double-check that I hadn't left something out--probably multiple times.

Besides, I wear some of the things I want to take in the weeks/days before the cruise!

If I know I need something new I will start looking for it a few weeks ahead. About a week ahead I will check out my travel supplies and stock up on whatever is low, such as travel size toothpaste, etc.

I will also begin hanging things I plan on bringing in one section of my closet. I do the actual packing the night before; I'd do it the day of if we didn't have to fly.

My husband packs for himself, also the night before.

I have a small check-list of absolute essentials, like medicine, paperwork and glasses, but not a long list. Well, I did make one up on the computer once, but have never used it.

qote<I'd forget everything I'd packed and have to take things out and double-check that I hadn't left something out--probably multiple times. >

i keep a His and Hers plus an Odds list to keep track. I also have a list of what´s packed in each suitcase (which has half of my clothes and half of DH) just in case luggage gets lost (a change of clothes for each of us goes in the hand luggage as well)

I have a spreadsheet listing clothes I will wear each day for sightseeing, beach, evening etc. I have to select DH´s clothes for the holiday, in the hope he won´t end up looking like a freak......

We tend to go on longer cruises so I try to pack for 2 weeks and do laundry. When a cruise goes to hot and cold places, packing becomes a nightmare

We always have to fly back to UK then fly onto cruise embarkcation port, so have to contend with luggage weight restrictions as well!!!......the joys of cruising

Sandy in Spain

DH and I have "cruise clothes" so packing should be easier. Not! Every year we purchase a few pieces and rotate others out. The problem is now we have too many choices...decisions, decisions, decisions. Packing for our Nov. cruise will start the end of Aug. Oh! another solution would be to take more cruises!!

Everyone is so organized! lol :p This is my first cruise but my method applies for all of my vacations. I never make lists and I don't get my suitcase out/pack until three or four days before I'm leaving. I don't plan outfits for each day either, I just put in things that I know will match. I have slowly bought things that I've needed over the last few months. But yeah that's all I do, it's never steered me wrong. Then again, I've never gone on a vacation that's longer than a couple of weeks. I actually did try to make a list of things to pack for this vacation since its my first cruise and I'm a little excited/nervous but I couldn't do it. I got bored lol

What works for me may not work for you so I don't think it's crazy that you've started to gather stuff together. I'm guessing most people think I'm crazy for being one of those last minute packers but like I said, it works for me, do what works for you! :D

DH and I have "cruise clothes" so packing should be easier. Not! Every year we purchase a few pieces and rotate others out. The problem is now we have too many choices...decisions, decisions, decisions. Packing for our Nov. cruise will start the end of Aug. Oh! another solution would be to take more cruises!!

hubby and i do too, and i keep adding to them and it does get harder to decide what has to stay home, but oh we are LUCKY tho to have such decisions;)

i like the longer cruises so i can take more:):D

I've noticed the sooner I begin packing, the more I pack! For my first cruise, I packed on-and-off for weeks and had WAY too much. I also started to lose track of what I had packed. Then I started packing stuff just to fill up the bags (not thinking I'd want to bring back souveniers. The anticipation of the cruise is part of the fun of the cruise for me. I fight the urge to prematurely pack and I now try and pack just a few days before. I end up packing the essentials and I remember what I put where!

I could have written this. :)

I have always packed a couple of days before departure but on my last cruise I started weeks before. Lost track of what was in and what was out but had packed it all so beautifully :rolleyes: I didn't want to haul it all out and start again. Subsequently I just kept adding more items. I'm sure the term "layering your clothes" wasn't meant for the suitcase......:D

I usually start about a month out. We have an extra bedroom, so it is real easy to put things aside. DH will the night before. Drives me nuts. Sometimes I can pull some items out for him, but he really likes to do it himself.

I have found that the earlier I start, the more I actually forget. I usually just start packing the night before. Literally. Like 10 pm when I have a next day flight out! I make piles of the general stuff, like underwear and medicines and power cords. And then I lay out my clothes by outfits for days and try to take my favorite clothes but ones that mix and match well. And then I remove some things. I have gotten a lot better over the years. I used to way overpack - I was prepared for everything! The last few trips, I think I've worn everything I took at least once. My traveling companion this time keeps saying she is going to check 2 bags. I keep trying to talk her out of it but I'm not having much luck. Oh well, she is responsible for her luggage. If she wants to keep up with 3 bags, she's welcome to it!

--dd

Hi All,

Interesting topic !!

This will be our first cruise… and except for the incredible excitement that I feel about such a great upcoming vacation… I assume that my packing style will remain the same as it always has been.

As you can see… I took the Packing Style Quiz… it said it was a Last-Second (TRUE) Lightweight Packer (not so true… I’m just organized so I don’t overpack).

I imagine my getting ready for our January Cruise will be similar in some ways to other vacations we’ve taken (and also different from others in regards to bringing along some "extra" items to improve comfort vs just clothes & personal items).

I will develop a list… and as someone mentioned seeing as we are taking a warm weather cruise (Eastern Caribbean in January) it is certainly easier to get my mind around all of this now as I am wearing the clothes I’ll be probably packing (vs sorting thru clothes in storage come Fall-Winter).

Looking thru things now, I have an idea of what I have, what will need possible mending, dry-cleaning, replacement, or just a NEW addition or two prior to packing.

Will certainly consider shopping the End of Season Sales in August… and also take a serious look at Formal Wear that will go on sale during the Christmas Holiday Period.

I will probably put aside my selections for the cruise (shorts, polos, t-shirts, bathing suits, cover-ups etc) separate from the items I usually put into winter storage at the end of summer (maybe into a large Rubbermaid Bin).

I’ll go thru the long list of Cruise Packing Essentials, and decide what I have on hand, and what I need to purchase (Duct Tape – Clothes Pins – Glade Nightlights etc)… and put those items together… probably a week before.. shop if need be.

No doubt as always… will do my final packing night before we fly… that way I won’t become confused on what I’ve packed vs what is still outstanding… I like to do it all at once, so I have a very clear picture in my mind of what I am doing, and what is where (over planner that I am… I too will probably divide things up so that if a bag becomes lost, that there is some things in each bag so that Mr Sloop and I can get by if need be).

And coming from Canada, I have to deal with other issues… baggage weight allowance, carry on allowance (size & weight), carry on allowed / disallowed items, and the dreaded management of our winter clothing as it will the worst of our winter when I return home… coats, hats, gloves, scarves, boots etc… (still working on a strategy for that one).

I am determined though to make this all work as seamlessly as possible… for I am far more excited about this cruise than Mr Sloop… I having wanted to cruise for a long time. And optimistic enough to think that I’ll fall in love, and want to do it again. Not so sure about Mr Sloop… so need to make this whole event as low stress as possible on him, so he can see how great cruising can be… (HE HATES STRESSFUL SITUATIONS… and will go out of his way to rearrange his life to avoid them… so if cruising doesn’t meet his expectations, we will never go again… his philosophy being that life is short… he doesn’t need ANY stress)

Lol, happy that I joined Cruise Critic as things that I am reading here, certainly helps me to know what to expect, so I can plan for anything that comes up in my travels.

Cheers!

Archived