Past passengers tell me why you like the Jewel of the Seas

Looking ahead to booking a Northern European cruise next year. I find it interesting that cruise critic gave the Jewel of the Seas 5 stars. Been on many cruises and on Royal Caribbean often. Kind of surprised that the Jewel got this ranking. Can you sell me on this ship?

My wife and I have been on all of RCI's class ships, with the exception of the Oasis class, and we like the Radiance class ships the best. They completely fit our style of cruising. We like their size and what they have to offer.

These ships tend to remind you that you are actually traveling on the ocean. Built with the Alaskan itninerary in mind, the emphasis is on visibility. There is glass everywhere and an abundance of balcony rooms.

They are big enough to offer everything that one expects from a cruise - excellent dining in a variety of settings, excellent entertainment, also with plenty of variety, and many "extras," albeit withhout some of the over-the-top features of some of the newer class ships.

With a capacity of about one half to one third of the Freedom and Oasis class ships, you'll notice that waiting in long lines on the ship, leaving and returning to the ship at ports, and at encountering massive crowds ashore is not nearly the issue as on the huge behemoths.

Also, getting around the ship is easy, as nearly everying is close-by on the Radiance class ships.

The Jewel is well maintained and the decor and appointments are very attractive.

If you demand carousels, ice rinks, and surfing, you'll find the Jewel somewhat lacking. If you like attractive, modern surroundings, a full compliment of activities and ammeneties, courteous, attentive service, impressive views of land and sea, and a first rate cruise experience, you'll find the Jewel and the other Radiance class ships to be among the best.

My wife and I have been on all of RCI's class ships, with the exception of the Oasis class, and we like the Radiance class ships the best. They completely fit our style of cruising. We like their size and what they have to offer.

These ships tend to remind you that you are actually traveling on the ocean. Built with the Alaskan itninerary in mind, the emphasis is on visibility. There is glass everywhere and an abundance of balcony rooms.

They are big enough to offer everything that one expects from a cruise - excellent dining in a variety of settings, excellent entertainment, also with plenty of variety, and many "extras," albeit withhout some of the over-the-top features of some of the newer class ships.

With a capacity of about one half to one third of the Freedom and Oasis class ships, you'll notice that waiting in long lines on the ship, leaving and returning to the ship at ports, and at encountering massive crowds ashore is not nearly the issue as on the huge behemoths.

Also, getting around the ship is easy, as nearly everying is close-by on the Radiance class ships.

The Jewel is well maintained and the decor and appointments are very attractive.

If you demand carousels, ice rinks, and surfing, you'll find the Jewel somewhat lacking. If you like attractive, modern surroundings, a full compliment of activities and ammeneties, courteous, attentive service, impressive views of land and sea, and a first rate cruise experience, you'll find the Jewel and the other Radiance class ships to be among the best.

Ditto!

What a great compliment that you have paid to the Jewel.

We shall be aboard next August for the TA.....back to Boston.

Rick

We were on the Jewel,for the second time,this past April. We are way over the big ships. We don't take advantage of most of the things they offer. We cruise for the ports and the sailing,not flow riding and such. Of course most have that has to do with our age!!

All that aside,the ship is beautiful and very well maintained. We felt the staff on the Jewel was,without a doubt,the best we have ever encountered !

You will not be disappointed sailing on the Jewel.

This is a great post. The Radiance class (Jewel) is also our favorite. We love the connection of the ocean and the ship. The decor is beautiful, food is wonderful, great crew, well maintained, perfect size that never feels crowded. And, yes, it's very easy to navigate, too. Perfect choice for a fabulous itinerary!

Thanks for a great query and great responses! Very positive. My wife and I will be sailing the Jewel for the first time next June for the Baltic cruise and I am jazzed. We cruised Alaska on her sister ship and loved it and have also sailed Celebrity Millenium and loved that ship too.:)

After 18 cruises (including the QM2) the Jewel is still my favorite ship. Here are just 3 of the many things I like about the Jewel;

1. outdoor seating at the buffet, all the way aft

2. user friendly....it's hard to get lost or turned around

3. Safari Club....wall of windows across the back of the ship so you can sit and watch the wake.

The Radiance-class ships are our favorite of all the ships we've been on. The size, layout, and outward perspective to the sea, is what we love. The JEWEL, is, without exception, the most beautiful ship we have sailed on, and it remains the gold standard that we measure all other ships by. I hope to sail on the JEWEL again some day.

Perfect description of our favorite class of ship!

Marci

She's my favorite ship, for all the reasons mentioned above.

The sea, the sea, the sea! :D

Looking forward to my third voyage on the Jewel next fall (and my fourth on a Radiance class ship).

OH! The Thermal Suite! Can't forget that! It's worth every penny of the extra charge. Sitting in a light steam room, or lying on a heated tile lounger, with floor-to-ceiling walls and a view of... you guessed it... THE SEA! :D

I hope when the time comes and it is time to drydock the Jewel for upgrade they leave it as it is and keep the Seaview Cafe and just spruce it up and keep it the Great ship she is as is ..I love the Radiance class ships but I dont like what have done with the recent changes to the Radience, but I digress as I still Love this ship as is :)

I am sailing on Jewel in January and am already unable to control my excitement. You are just making it worse !! :D

This will be our first Radiance class voyage. My past favorite ship was Grandeur, but that was many years ago. I am looking for a new favorite class as we have sailed nothing but Voyager and Freedom classes as of late.

Been on Jewel once, last October for a members cruise to Canada and New England. I loved the ship [but not to the extent that some here do]. In my opinion, Jewel was consistent with other RCI cruises as to the design and style of the ship. I have always thought RCI does a great job of keeping a consistent feel of cruises from ship to ship. However, with the exception of our cabin attendant, the service was completely sub par -- the worst [or maybe the the least good] of any RCI cruise we have been on.

The first time I saw the Jewel of the Seas, she was anchored off the coast of Grand Cayman and we were on a snorkeling excursion (we arrived to Grand Cayman by way of a Celebrity ship). I said to my sister, "I don't know what ship that is but I am going to find out and take a cruise on her someday!" She was so beautiful and seemed to be all windows, which I LOVE...a view of the ocean everywhere you go.

She totally lived up to my first impression.

The Solarium on the Jewel is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!! On the other hand, I was sooooooo disappointed with the solarium on the Jewel's sister ship, the Radiance of the Seas. Being in the Jewel's solarium was like visiting the Maj Mahal, while the Radiance's solarium looked and smelled like the pool area a very old, well used YMCA!

When you board the Jewel, grab your towel, a great book and a drink then head to the Solarium - you won't be sorry you did!

I hope when the time comes and it is time to drydock the Jewel for upgrade they leave it as it is and keep the Seaview Cafe and just spruce it up and keep it the Great ship she is as is ..I love the Radiance class ships but I dont like what have done with the recent changes to the Radience, but I digress as I still Love this ship as is :)

The good news is that she just came out of drydock, so likely won't be getting any "enhancements" for a few years, at least.:)

The Jewel is our favorite RCI ship, for all the reasons Bazzito stated. My one quarrel with the Radiance class is their dining rooms. For some reason, the dining experience has always been chaotic for us, on three of the four (on Brilliance we never went to the MDR). I think they made them a little too small, so the tables are very close together, unless you're sitting on Deck 4 in the center.

Archived