Istanbul airport to cruise terminal

Racdan

We have just booked the cruise on Nautica from Istanbul on the 1st October. We arrive in Istanul airtport at approx 16.20 on the BA flight from London. Does anyone know how far the cruise terminal is from the airport and how much the taxi is likely to be. I have looked on various web sites but unfortunately have been unable out find any information.

This is the first cruise with Oceania we have been with Celebrity, which we loved and Cunard which didn't come up to our expectations, we thought we would try a smaller ship this time and are really looking forward to the experience.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Racdan

The TL used to be the Turkish currency. Now I believe it is TRY. Haven't a clue what that stands for but that is how it is listed.

Here is the answer to your question that I found within the article below:

In case Istanbul is the end or start of your international cruise, a taxi between Karaköy and the Atatürk International Airport would set you back for about TL 30 during the daytime. (which converts to about $42 US)

http://www.istanbultrails.com/2009/08/istanbul-cruise-ship-port-and-visa-essentials/

Bobi

Does the ship depart Istanbul that day at 6PM? If so, you are cutting it very tight. I hope it's an overnight.

The traffic in Istanbul is the worst we've ever experienced and the trip from the airport may be longer than you think. Good luck with the timing.

We were in Istanbul about 5 years ago on Nautica. My memory is a bit foggy regarding distance between the dock and airport, but if this is any help, the cab drivers there are not the most, shall we say scrupulous. Try to negotiate a price before getting into the cab. If that's not possible beware of drivers who will set the meter far in advance of when you get in! Also get your directions in writing to give to the driver for added clarity. Have a fabulous trip!

The TL used to be the Turkish currency. Now I believe it is TRY. Haven't a clue what that stands for but that is how it is listed.

Here is the answer to your question that I found within the article below:

In case Istanbul is the end or start of your international cruise, a taxi between Karaköy and the Atatürk International Airport would set you back for about TL 30 during the daytime. (which converts to about $42 US)

http://www.istanbultrails.com/2009/08/istanbul-cruise-ship-port-and-visa-essentials/

Bobi

Don't know how old this information is but current exchange rates place 30 TRY at about $18. I found a website for calculating Istanbul taxi fares and it estimated about 35 TRY, but I imagine that traffic may alter that. The website is http://taksiyle.com/en. There may be other websites the offer the same type of calculator.

There are several airport transfer services available online that run anywhere from about $45 and up (see http://www.istanbulairport24.com/ as one example). Advantage of private transfer is that you don't have to wait in any line to get a taxi.

At the time of day your flight arrives traffic will probably be an issue and this will add time and perhaps cost (if running on a meter) to your transfer.

Be aware the new lira and old lira do not use the same coins, although they look very similar, and the new lira is devalued. So at least look like you know what you're doing or you could give the taxi driver a considerably larger tip than you intended. Same is true in Italy, BTW.

Be aware the new lira and old lira do not use the same coins, although they look very similar, and the new lira is devalued. So at least look like you know what you're doing or you could give the taxi driver a considerably larger tip than you intended. Same is true in Italy, BTW.

No Lira's in Italy they've been on the Euro since 1999.

Stress the lack of scruples above. You must, absolutely must, confirm the price before getting in a taxi. Istanbul locals curse and spit when referring to widely hated taxi drivers, how thieving and dishonest these curs are. For example, we recently disembarked at the Port. Our hotel and friends in Istanbul warned the fare should not exceed $8 from Port to our hotel in the historic center (10 minute ride with traffic).

Every driver at the Port uniformly refused to take us for less than $60 (converting TL into USD here, I had TL cash). They knew captive passengers were disembarking and desired to impose extortionate fares quoted the same by the "gang." Local port representatives could care less.

We walked out of the Port, rolled luggage down the street and haggled and haggled until we could obtain a $10 fare. Insane and widespread practice.

Once at your hotel, the hotel will insist on the correct fare when hailing a taxi (say, to the airport). At the airport seeking a cab puts you at a disadvantage when dealing with these mercenaries. Be informed and forewarned in Istanbul!

Wristband has got it nailed, but beware of another scam in the event your seem to have arranged a decent fare before entering the taxi: it's when the driver says he just heard the regualr road to/from your destination is closed due to an accident and the driver must go another (think longer here) way.

My driver wasn't too happy, an understatement, when I told him I knew otherwise and refused to pay the inflated fare.

Booking a service is more expensive, but better for your heart.

We did Oceania cruise 10 days ago and had to take a taxi from cruise terminal to airport. Granted, it was 530am and no traffic. It took about 15-20 min. Don't know what it would be like when there is traffic--at least 30 min, I would guess. Cost us 50 euros.

No Lira's in Italy they've been on the Euro since 1999.

Actually Jan 1,2002.

http://www.eurocoins.co.uk/italy.html

I remember later that year I got an old 500 Lira coin (worth about 25 cents) instead of a 2 Euro coin as change from the cab driver in Milan (they looked identical to uninitiated). I bet I wasn't the only one they tried it on :D

Never again after that - I paid attention.

I looked at my journal and we shared a minivan with another couple. We got the car through BackPackers Travel and in June 2009 it cost us 25 euro total. We left in the morning on a Friday and I do not recall there being a lot of traffic but there was adequate time between when we had to disembark and or scheduled flight.

Thank you for all your advice, the ship does not leave Istanbul until the next day and after all your warnings we are going to book a private transfer, it seems like the sensible option. Many thanks to evryone for your tips.

Regards Racdan

Good decision - a private transfer will provide price certainty and comfort ensuring you will not be held hostage by thieves operating taxis in Istanbul. I have traveled widely and say Istanbul taxi drivers are the very worst next to Barbados, Budapest and Nairobi.

Visitors must - absolutely must - clearly determine fare for every trip beforehand then be prepared to argue violently should the driver inevitably attempt to claim additional monies based on spurious claims. They view Americans as walking ATMS and with contempt. Shove it back without shrinking in fear just because they feign language difficulty. The price is the damn price and call the police if you are put in such miserable situations.

The only positive comment I make is such outrageous behavior is so notorious and widely despised by Istanbul citizens. I fondly remember last October in a taxi with Turkish friend and how he unloaded on the driver. He was merciless! My friend threatened to horse whip the taxi driver in the street unless he honored the agreed upon rate. And he had a whip under his London Fog raincoat to prove it!

Did I mention my friend resembles an NFL linebacker with shoulder length hair and a scowl? And, yes, we paid the previously agreed upon rate. With no tip.

Clearly writing down the id number of the taxi after getting in works well for some in Istanbul also.

We went to the airport with our guide, Levent Solmaz, who anticipated that there would be traffic, got us off to an early start, and then had an impromptu tour of the city walls up his sleeve.

16-theodosian_land_wall_tower.jpg The Theodosian city walls are fascinating, architecturally and historically significant while also being a thriving modern day community. There is nothing else like them in the World.

Sometimes placing yourself in the hands of a professional is just what is called for. ;)

Ive been to Istanbul three times, once with Turkish friends. Totally agree that the cab drivers in this wonderful city are thieves and brigands. It is almost like theater. They will do their best to cheat you and be prepared for a verbal battle from beginning to end. And the later it is the worse it gets.

However, public transportation is excellent. The trams are painless and inexpensive and the subway system is a marvel. The Turks are wonderfully helpful and friendly...except for the cabbies who seem to have come from another time and place.

Im surprised that there isnt a transfer option with Oceania. In the past that was how we got from ship to airport or airport to ship. Whatever the cost it would be worth it. Enjoy this great city!

Archived