How to find last minute cruises

Ineke

We've just started talking about possibly changing our annual road trip vacation to a last minute cruise. How do you go about finding good sources for last minute cruise deals? We're in the Vancouver area, so that would be a good starting point, and would probably like to go for 10 to 14 days. We've been to Alaska twice, but wouldn't rule it out, but it has to be in either July or early August. Hope someone can give us some useful pointers. Thanks!

Go to all the cruise line websites and sign up for their email notifications of specials. Go to the websites and click on Specials. Try some of the online websites and see what specials they might be running. EM

I just tried doing a Google Search using the term "Cruise Specials" and came up wioith lots of sites offering great deals. The 2nd one on the list (Cannot name it without violating Cruise Critic Rules) is the best one for great last minute deals in my opinion.

Joanie

We've just started talking about possibly changing our annual road trip vacation to a last minute cruise. How do you go about finding good sources for last minute cruise deals? We're in the Vancouver area, so that would be a good starting point, and would probably like to go for 10 to 14 days. We've been to Alaska twice, but wouldn't rule it out, but it has to be in either July or early August. Hope someone can give us some useful pointers. Thanks!

We actually just booked for Aug 6 on the Zuiderdam and there is very little left for early August. I don't think we got a particularly good deal though, we just wanted to get away and had to do that week. We are also 3 to a cabin which limits us.

A lot of the best deals were about a month ago for this time period, and I think now to get a good price you should consider late August as there is still a lot out there and it is a less popular time with US cruisers (kids back in school mid Aug for some of them).

You'll also find the best deals out of Seattle unfortunately unless you don't mind doing a one way and flying home. Our last 2 Alaska cruises were out of Seattle and much better deals.

Good Luck.

I just tried doing a Google Search using the term "Cruise Specials" and came up wioith lots of sites offering great deals. The 2nd one on the list (Cannot name it without violating Cruise Critic Rules) is the best one for great last minute deals in my opinion.

Joanie

Joanie's right. The 2nd one on the list is the way to go. They have some fantastic deals.

Go to all the cruise line websites and sign up for their email notifications of specials. Go to the websites and click on Specials. Try some of the online websites and see what specials they might be running. EM

Someone suggested I start an email address specifically for travel specials. I LOVE it. Before creating the new email address I resented these emails because they were mixed in with my real emails but now that they are in their own email address I can wait until I have a few minutes and then review them all at once.

You might take notice that the cruise lines are now in a pattern of increasing last min. fares rather than reduce them..

It is against the lines best interest to sell short at the last second and burn those who have deposits 9 to 10 months out. Bad Business

The Airlines business model... last min full fare+ Cruise lines take notice.

You might take notice that the cruise lines are now in a pattern of increasing last min. fares rather than reduce them..

It is against the lines best interest to sell short at the last second and burn those who have deposits 9 to 10 months out. Bad Business

I haven't noticed that. I have noticed they reduce to a certain point and then don't go any lower.

True, but also bad business to sail with empty cabins. No line wants to do that.

Although not available July/August, there are some excellent repositioning cruises which sail into or out of Vancouver prior to, or after the Alaskan schedules.

We took a Celebrity cruise last October originating in Vancouver, which visited the usual Alaskan ports, had an overnight in San Francisco and ended at San Diego.

This September we are on the Zaandam, Vancouver-Hawaii-San Diego.

We have had pleasant dealings with a cruise oriented TA which specializes in HAL, located in Lantzville BC, as well as a Texas-based TA with which we have also had great success .

If there is going to be a soft spot in cruise pricing it often occurs between 90 day and 75 days prior to embarkation, usually in the days following when all booked passengers have already made final payment. If the cruise sales are not keeping pace with sales volume needed, they may throw you a bone. Once sales get back on target, the price of doing business goes back up again.

If you have your heart set on something, it seems best to pick out a cabin and pay for it. But for the person who doesn't care what cabin, where the cruise goes or when it leaves, there are some bargains to be had.:D

If there is going to be a soft spot in cruise pricing it often occurs between 90 day and 75 days prior to embarkation, usually in the days following when all booked passengers have already made final payment. If the cruise sales are not keeping pace with sales volume needed, they may throw you a bone. Once sales get back on target, the price of doing business goes back up again.

If you have your heart set on something, it seems best to pick out a cabin and pay for it. But for the person who doesn't care what cabin, where the cruise goes or when it leaves, there are some bargains to be had.:D

Excellent advice. We have never chosen/selected our cabin, as all of our 25 cruises have been 'last-minute'.

And we have never had a BAD cruise.

Archived