questions about Vatican Scavi tour

cruise kitty

Hi,

so, our Scavi tour is booked, & I have a few questions:

our time is 9:15 am, on a Tues. morning, so I don't think we'll have time to do the museums & Sistine Chapel beforehand, am I correct?

We plan on doing a self tour of the Basilica first, then Scavi, any chance of using the Sistine Chapel secret door in reverse, after our Scavi tour???

I know that when we toured the museums before there was a bag check (we weren't asked to check our small backpacks though) In this case, I know we can't bring our backpacks into the Scavi site, does anyone know if there is a bag check specifically for Scavi, or the Basilica, because we'll need our packs later in the day. Do we need to check them in all the way over on the museum side?

thanks in advance for any help!

You won't have time to do the Vatican museums/Sistine chapel beforehand. You'll need to approach the Swiss Guard checkpoint a few minutes before 9:15 am.

You cannot use the shortcut in reverse (otherwise you'd be getting into the Museum without paying!).

I believe there is a bag check at St. Peter's, but I don't know about whether there is one specifically at the Scavi office. No one in our group had any large bags.

You will not be able to go through the museums first, I think the earliest tickets are for 9 AM anyway.

There is a bag check for the basilica, it's on the right as you face the front of the church, on the lower level.

There is zero chance of being able to sneak into the Sistine Chapel, unless you fancy some private time with the Swiss Guard. This is one of the most secure buildings on earth and probably the last place you should try to get away with something.

If you have the interest and the energy, you could tour the basilica as soon as it opens in the morning (7 AM), the climb the cupola as soon as it opens (8 AM), then your Scavi tour.

There is no separate bag check on the Scavi side. Someone in my group showed up just on time but with a large backpack and they weren't allowed on the tour because there was no time to check it.

Keep in mind that to check a bag at the Basilica, you have to wait in the security line which is usually very long in the morning. Can you rethink what you need and get by with a very small pack?

If you are going straight to the Scavi tour without a large bag, you don't have to wait in the security line. You just walk up to the Swiss guards on the left of the Basilica and show them your Scavi ticket.

A good thing is after you do the Scavi tour, you can go right in the Basilica without waiting in the Security line.

Much better to not have to check a bag for Scavi tour. If you need to allow plenty of time because Scavi does not have its own bag check. It is the bag check on the museum side and can take a while.

From our Scavi experience last month, here's a posting that I did. You can check it at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1436502

from many more details on the Scavi, its history, other good comments, etc.

Cynthia and others have made many good, key points. I would agree that it is best not to have any large bags in and around the Vatican. That just complicates your movement in that area and, as I recall, they don't have a storage place there where you start the Scavi tour.

OVERALL LOGISTICS?: My key point/suggestion is that you have to "be realistic" about the size and time required to do movements in and around the Vatican. It is BIG, BIG! The largest in the World. It takes time to navigate around there. Crowds can complicate those logistics. Getting from the main Cathedral to the entrance to the Vatican Museum is not a two or three minute walk. You can want to do lots and lots, FAST, FAST, but it does takes time and patience. Plan accordingly.

Is cruise kitty arriving in Rome by ship that day? How early can you be at St. Peter's? Rome is also big and confusion, making your logistics challenging. Below are a few pictures to illustrate why it's "worth it".

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 22,136 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 46,787 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

From St. Peter’s in Rome, this is the view of the heart of this great Basilica and its Magnificent Dome by Michelangelo.:

RomeStPetersMainDome.jpg

After our super historic private tour of the Scavi under the Basilica, we saw some of the crypts and this chapel below the main area.:

RomeLowerChapelUnder.jpg

The art work in and around St. Peter’s is spectacular. Here might be the most famous, the Pieta by Michelangelo. I first saw this in 1970 here, but now it is protected behind a large glass surface. The detail and beauty are impossible to describe or show.:

RomeStPetersPieta.jpg

Inside St. Peters, this is a portion of the main floor area where the body of the late Pope John Paul II has been moved. Just recently they completed this change as he is elevated and goes towards Sainthood. Crowds were big and busy inside this huge Cathedral, the world's largest.:

RomePopeJPIINewSiteMainFloor.jpg

Thanks for all the replies!

We'll leave the backpacks at the hotel for the day I think, we can get by with just a small crossbody bag for our water bottles & ipods I'm sure.

Regarding using the Sistine door in reverse, I hadn't thought it through, had no intentions of trying to get away with not paying, just wanted to avoid the line! Note to self: brilliant ideas after margaritas should not be posted:)

Note to self: brilliant ideas after margaritas should not be posted:)

Don't stop drinking those wonderful margaritas! Some of the best ideas seem to be so smart and excellent under that great creative influence.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived