Best transportation for touring from Ramblas

sgk2000

We will be in Barcelona in October for 3 days before our cruise. We are staying at Hotel Continental Barcelona on Las Ramblas. I would like to know, from people that have been there, which is the best way to sight see, HoHo bus, Metro with T10 or is everything, close enough to walk to? Also does any one know the cost of a taxi form the Continental to the port?

It's an amazing city... I wish I could go back soon. Have a great trip!

You really want to walk around and see things at your own pace. So by far the best option is to walk, backed up by a T10 card and maybe a cab ride or two.

Cab to port should be 25-30 EUR, depending upon number of bags.

Walking is the best way to see the sites on Las Ramblas. When we needed to use transportation for sites away from the immediate area we used the Metro. We only used cabs to/from the airport and the cruise terminal.

Thank you both for your replies.. It sounds like walking is best. I knew Las Ramblas is walkable from our hotel, wasn't sure about some of the other sites. It sounds like Barcelona's metro is pretty easy to do and a lot cheaper than the HoHo bus.

Walking for the Ramblas, definitely. T10 for getting from airport and up to Sagrada Familia. A taxi should be right around 30 euros, depending on how many people and bags you have. The metro is easy, but do look at a map. Some of the colors get confusing. It also helps to know in advance the final stop that you are heading towards. This stumped us for a couple minutes. ;) Be sure to make time to walk around the Gothic Quarter also. It is awesome!

It depends how many places you wish to visit. If you want to do say 4-5 then the HOHO bus may be more economical and alot less hassle than doing yourself on the metro. The HOHO may be expensive but I visited lots of places that I would not have considered visiting if I did it via metro.

Walking and a T10. Also for getting to the port you can either walk or Metro to the bottom of Las Ramblas (Dressannes station IIRC), cross to the other side of the monument and there's a [blue] port bus for a couple of euro.

Just looked up your hotel on a map, and no need for a taxi from the airport either; there's a shuttle bus to Placa Cataluyna 1/2 block from your hotel. I haven't taken it, but a lot of other people here have and can explain (and I'm sure google can too...)

Walk Las Ramblas, but take the HOHO bus to see lots of things you might or might not want to go back to. The ones you want to go back too will be easy because the bus does a circle all day and you actually do Hop on and Hop Off.

They give you little earphones and you plug them in at your seat to hear about attractions along the way.

We got a two day pass and saw everything and then went back the next day to stop and see some of the sites. There is a large bus stop at Placa Catalunya that you can buy a ticket (they take Euro or credit cards) and all the lines converge there (Red, Blue, Orange). Maybe not the green.

We walked Las Ramblas every day, though and also the Gothic Quarter.

We walked quite a bit in Barcelona. We even walked from the Bari Gothic area to Sagrada Familia and took the Metro back.

We did use BarcelonaDayTours for our first tour of the city and it was worth the price. You can do it on your own, but having a guide makes the experience so much better.

We bought a two-day HoHo pass online (it was a good deal UNTIL we had to actually take a cab to one of only three places to have it validated! ugh! Do not do this! Just buy the ticket on the bus.). Anyway, we enjoyed the HoHo - gave us opportunity to get our bearings. When we tired of it, we walked. Barcelona is completely walkable.

We also took a cab a few times; according to info online, Barcelona taxis are among the least expensive in the world. Most of the drivers spoke English and we managed pretty well.

Honestly, what we did not and would not do is the "Underground" (as a local called it). Too many horror stories of pick pockets, so we just didn't venture there. Yes, it's cheaper, but you have to decide for yourself if that's something you want to do.

Does anyone know the price of this type of transportation?

http://www.bcn.travel/en/barcelona-tours/tours/barcelona-hop-on-hop-off-bus-turistic

We did the HoHo to get oriented to the city. Then used the Metro to go back to the sites we wanted to see on the following days. Metro is easy to use. A T10 pass can be shared. Don't miss Casa Milo where you can walk on the roof. Great view and you really can see Gaudi's whimsy.

To take the Metro to Parc Guell take the L3 to the Vallcarca stop. There are signs to guide you. There is an uphill climb but then you come to the escalator which takes you up the rest of the steep climb to the top of the Parc. Then you walk downhill thru the Parc to the main entrance seeing the sites along the way. If you get off at Lesseps (which most guide books suggest) it is a long walk to the main entrance so you end up walking uphill thru the Parc. Lots to see there so save your energy at the beginning so you can enjoy the the park.

Honestly, what we did not and would not do is the "Underground" (as a local called it). Too many horror stories of pick pockets, so we just didn't venture there. Yes, it's cheaper, but you have to decide for yourself if that's something you want to do.

Even with luggage, the Barcelona Metro is easy and safe; didn't have a problem.

The Barcelona subway system is the cleanest, quietest and most comfortable we have ever seen. Of course, you need to be mindful of the people around you but these days I'm careful of my purse in the grocery store so I generally use the same rules whenever I am out in public.

The Barcelona subway system is the cleanest, quietest and most comfortable we have ever seen. Of course, you need to be mindful of the people around you but these days I'm careful of my purse in the grocery store so I generally use the same rules whenever I am out in public.

I felt much safer on the Metro than walking Las Ramblas.

Can anyone tell me about the weather in January. Do you think the pools on the Jade will be heated? Thanks:)

We were on the Jade in Jan. 2010, 12-night Med cruise RT Barcelona. It's winter, you know? :) The air temps when the ship is underway aren't exactly suitable for swimming in much of the Med (though we had one exceptional day at the end of the cruise). Still, I always want to make sure I get in the pool -- I was about the only crazy person who did (except on that very warm day), and I don't recall the pools being heated.

Archived