2 new food questions re: dinner room services and Bo5

Pandot

Hello all.

So try as I might I can't find clarification to two questions that have arisen due to travelling with a toddler. (Good little kid but busy. Only sits for 45 minutes for dinner, good for his age but not quite good enough for MDR dining).

1. If ordering the dining room menu from room service is there any option regarding the time, or all dinner from the dining room service delivered at the same time, in between the two sittings, sometime between 7 and 8? I had orgininally read that dining room menu was available from room service during dining room hours, but then have read some posts that alluded to it only being delivered around 7.

Why do I ask? Dinner around 7 is late for a toddler... if we want to eat with him (don't think I will inflict him on the dining room) will we be able to order dining room menu for any earlier? (i.e. at 6 or 6:15 when it opens for flex seating).

2. If we eat in the Bistro on Five, will we be charged for the toddler (I am assuming so since he is still a mouth) but was just curious if anyone had had any experience with this. His inclusion in the bill makes the difference between 2 and 3 visits (i.e. 30 dollars either way).

Thanks for your responses.

Andrea

I haven't read any reports that MDR service in the room is restricted to between 7 and 8. I HAVE read that any items from the MDR can be ordered during regular service hours, and have done so, but not terribly recently. I think you can count on being able to have room service dinner by 6:15 or 6:30.

Yes, a toddler counts as a diner and will be charged the cover charge at Bistro on 5.

I don't know the answer for certain...but I am guessing if you go to Bistro and order dinner for yourselves and feed the baby from your plates, then no they won't charge you. And may not charge you anyway...how much does a 2 year old eat? I'm pretty sure it's at the managers discretion.

Have you considered looking into getting a sitter once during the cruise? We did on our daughters first cruise 20 years ago...we hired a cabin stewardess who was Polish and went to dinner for 2 hours 3 nights of the cruise. It was pricey but well worth a break.

Also, have you considered the buffet as an option?

Good luck...and when (and it will happen) people ask you why you brought a toddler? Tell them he will not remember this...but WE will never forget! Our daughter took her first steps on the beach at St. Maarten on that first cruise....:D

This is a family cruise. My sister is getting married aboard ship. We will be as many as 40 people.

Would my husband otherwise choose to cruise with our toddler at this time otherwise? probably not, but I am looking forward to it anyway.

I have looked into babysitting and will definitely take part, especially the night of the wedding. My parents (and aunts and tons of other relatives) are also travelling with us, and have late seating while we have select dining and plan on eating earlier (i.e. so they will look after him before dinner, and then we will switch). On those nights, we will probably take James to the buffet.

But it would be nice to eat as a family a few times and I am looking into some options (he happens to love steak, so since we are paying his way anyway, why not get him steak one night... can't exactly bring him a doggy bag.).

I know that we can bring him into the dining room, (with crayons and a quiet video on ipad, he could last an hour), but I doubt that I would find it a relaxing experience so looking for other options that we can enjoy as a family when I don't want to get a sitter.

This is a family cruise. My sister is getting married aboard ship. We will be as many as 40 people.

Would my husband otherwise choose to cruise with our toddler at this time otherwise? probably not, but I am looking forward to it anyway.

I have looked into babysitting and will definitely take part, especially the night of the wedding. My parents (and aunts and tons of other relatives) are also travelling with us, and have late seating while we have select dining and plan on eating earlier (i.e. so they will look after him before dinner, and then we will switch). On those nights, we will probably take James to the buffet.

But it would be nice to eat as a family a few times and I am looking into some options (he happens to love steak, so since we are paying his way anyway, why not get him steak one night... can't exactly bring him a doggy bag.).

I know that we can bring him into the dining room, (with crayons and a quiet video on ipad, he could last an hour), but I doubt that I would find it a relaxing experience so looking for other options that we can enjoy as a family when I don't want to get a sitter.

Make sure you sign up for the baby sitting services as soon as you board the ship. They have limited staff that can provide this service.

If you get to the dining room when it opens it won't be crowded, you should be able to get a table away from other diners and you should be able to get in and out rather quickly. Check out the menu earlier in the day - after lunch outside the dining room - so that you can order right away.

You had mentioned a doggie bag...you can order an extra dish in the dining room and take it to your cabin with you. (if say, you were there and he happened not to be)

I would hope Bistro wouldn't charge you. You had mentioned $30, bistro on 5 is $5 pp. The other speciality restaurants, depending on ship, are $30 and $35 pp. :)

Room service off of the dining room menu is during regular dining room hours which will be sometime between 6 to 10.

From the website:

Select from zesty soups, fresh salads, gourmet sandwiches, pizzas and desserts on the room-service menu. Should you decide to dine-in during restaurant luncheon and dinner hours, enjoy your selection from the restaurant menu. Simply request the menus of the day from your butler or stateroom attendant.

2Seawithme - I am sure they would send us with an entree if we asked, but though I am ready to be "off schedule", I don't want to be feeding James dinner even later than we eat :)

I know that the Bistro is only 5 dollars per head, but if they charge us for James, we would get 2 visits for 30 dollars vs. 3 visits for 30 dollars. Not a big deal, but we are on a highly budgeted vacation, so every little bit :)

We are going to play it by ear, but I thank everyone for their input. Now I have more answers in my repetoire of knowledge for this cruise.

Depending on his transition to the trip, his ability to handle the days ashore (in Bermuda) and his overall mood, we will maybe get the chance to bring him to the dining room, but I want to be ready for all possibilities. There is nothing worse for a toddler, the parents or the diners or servers than a toddler who is being forced into dining for an extended period of time when all he wants to do in sleep, play or toddle. I expect reasonable ability to sit at the dinner table but I am realistic as to his age and temperment.

Thanks again for all the information.

Since you have Select dining, I think if you go early, and explain to the waiter that you need to have a faster than usual meal, they will try to accommodate you...and keep the little one entertained. And sometimes you can arrange to have the same table each evening, and they will get to know you and have finger foods waiting for him. EM

2Seawithme - I am sure they would send us with an entrée if we asked, but though I am ready to be "off schedule", I don't want to be feeding James dinner even later than we eat :)

I know that the Bistro is only 5 dollars per head, but if they charge us for James, we would get 2 visits for 30 dollars vs. 3 visits for 30 dollars. Not a big deal, but we are on a highly budgeted vacation, so every little bit :)

We are going to play it by ear, but I thank everyone for their input. Now I have more answers in my repertoire of knowledge for this cruise.

Depending on his transition to the trip, his ability to handle the days ashore (in Bermuda) and his overall mood, we will maybe get the chance to bring him to the dining room, but I want to be ready for all possibilities. There is nothing worse for a toddler, the parents or the diners or servers than a toddler who is being forced into dining for an extended period of time when all he wants to do in sleep, play or toddle. I expect reasonable ability to sit at the dinner table but I am realistic as to his age and temperament.

Thanks again for all the information.

Thank you for your consideration of others. I always smile at the little ones when I see them but know that they lose interest fast (esp is they don't like crowds or what's for dinner).

I have to order my meals ahead maybe speak with the Ma it'd and order your meals early in the day for that night (including the tots). At this time ask for express service too. I know on RCCL that do this for me all the time (I ordered express one night because I was tired) and got the quick service dinner was over in 1 hour and 15 mins.

Archived