Doing exactly the same cruise twice, “short time” span…Are we crazy?:)

Hey all,

Due to interesting price deal on Liberty for September 24th and saved up airline miles, we would be able to go back to Liberty for a very good price…Who doesn’t want a extra vacation when possible!? :D

Now the thing is, we just did the same cruise on Liberty last month June 11th…We had the greatest vacation ever, but I fear a bit when we rebook her, it will not be the same again should we go back September the 24th…The been there, done that feeling :).

Anybody have any opinions or done something like this (and regretted it)?

Before you reply, you might wonder…Why not just book another cruise, different departure port? Well, it is due to the perfect dates and great connection time between Brussels and Barcelona, Should we book a departure from let’s say Rome, their arrival times are crap to get to the ship on time or planes are full.

Greets

Anybody have any opinions or done something like this (and regretted it)?

Did something like this, did not regret it! ;)

We sailed the Mexican Riviera -- with an identical itinerary -- four times in three years. Most of the time we didn't even get off the ship. :)

Of course, many people cruise mainly because of the ports ... obviously we do not, and it sounds like perhaps you don't either. If the circumstances are right, why not seize the opportunity?

By the way, I love Belgium! Unfortunately the only Flemish I know is "ezelsbruggetje." It's a long story. ;)

Absolutely not. It is a great idea.

These ports of call are so rich that you could spend a week in each and find sometihng different to do every day - just book different excursions or take your time to explore on your own. You will notice different things you did not see before.

And the ship is fantastic too. The only thing the same is the food, and possibly the entertainment but you can choose different items from the menu and just skip the shows you have already seen.

Did something like this' date=' did [b']not[/b] regret it!

We sailed the Mexican Riviera -- with an identical itinerary -- four times in three years. Most of the time we didn't even get off the ship.

Of course, many people cruise mainly because of the ports ... obviously we do not, and it sounds like perhaps you don't either. If the circumstances are right, why not seize the opportunity?

By the way, I love Belgium! Unfortunately the only Flemish I know is "ezelsbruggetje." It's a long story.

Indeed you are very correct, the ship is our vacation. On June 6th we did a lot of excursions and stayed up late every night partying, hence disembarking even more tired than we embarked the ship :D…The ports, should we go again, are really more than just an extra for us, it will be a very leisurely cruise :D

“Ezelsbruggetje” LOL, I guess you needed to remember something, would like to hear you pronounce it ;).

I cannot believe that you are the second person here that said they like Belgium :D How did my country ever amaze so many Americans…I am amazed :)! With current political problems over here, there are not that many Belgium’s that like Belgium walking around...Long story ;)

Absolutely not. It is a great idea.

These ports of call are so rich that you could spend a week in each and find sometihng different to do every day - just book different excursions or take your time to explore on your own. You will notice different things you did not see before.

And the ship is fantastic too. The only thing the same is the food, and possibly the entertainment but you can choose different items from the menu and just skip the shows you have already seen.

When we get off the ship, we will certainly do a “do it yourself” style :D and not longer that 4 hours of.

We found the day entertainment to be, and I can’t find any better way to say, TOTAL CRAP (with a few exceptions off course) ! So that won’t really bother us as we make our own fun :D The evening entertainment was a whole lot better.

The food, indeed…Might be an issue, my girl eats about everything, I on the other hand don’t so I would have to open up my horizons when looking at the menu :)

We also love Belgium. We visited Brugges this year on the short Azura cruise and thought the city was marvelous. I am a bit suspect, though, because I just love chocolate.

LOL, I am going to have to proudly start to sing the national anthem soon if this keeps up :D

You may choose from the Belgium, Flemish, German or French anthem :D lol

Nope. Not odd. I was on Majesty June 3 to start off the summer and am back on the same ship and itinerary September 16 to finish it.

Couldn't get away for a full vacation this summer, so I am doing the two short weekend cruises. I was going to go with NCL instead for the 2nd one but enjoyed Majesty so much, I booked on her again.

It may be the same ship and the same places, but because there will be a different group of passengers, the cruise will feel totally different! No worries!

We love Vegas and a particular hotel....we go often and it never gets old!

No problem. There are many who visit the same “vacation city” several times each year. Each time you can do something different, or if you found a particular beach ( or bar, tour, store) you like, you can go back. But we find that each experience is a little different anyway.

We’ve taken the “same cruise” many times, but time of year, passenger mix, different staff, really to make for a unique experience each time. We have noted that we like ships (and itineraries) better the second to third time. Perhaps we have a more familiar feeling . The only thing we do tire of is the same RCCL menus.

In our early cruise day, we did want to visit different ports, but now it really doesn’t matter. Many of the Caribbean ports are somewhat alike (to us) anyway.

We did a B2B with the same itinerary last year and found it to be fine. We didn’t have to “do it all” the first sailing as we knew we were coming right back to the same ports. Also the Florida folks often jump on the Majesty or Monarch once a month or even more often and have the same itinerary.

We actually like knowing we will be coming back to a port in a short period of time. Makes leaving the beautiful area a bit easier.

So the short answer is, "No - you are not crazy"

Enjoy

M

No problem. There are many who visit the same “vacation city” several times each year. Each time you can do something different, or if you found a particular beach ( or bar, tour, store) you like, you can go back. But we find that each experience is a little different anyway.

We’ve taken the “same cruise” many times, but time of year, passenger mix, different staff, really to make for a unique experience each time. We have noted that we like ships (and itineraries) better the second to third time. Perhaps we have a more familiar feeling . The only thing we do tire of is the same RCCL menus.

In our early cruise days, we did want to only visit different ports, but now it really doesn’t matter, especially in the Caribbean, as find ports are somewhat alike anyway.

We did a B2B with the same itinerary last year and found it to be fine. We didn’t have to “do it all” the first sailing as we knew we were coming right back to the same ports. Also the Florida folks often jump on the Majesty or Monarch once a month or even more often and have the same itinerary.

We actually like knowing we will be coming back to a port in a short period of time. Makes leaving the beautiful area a bit easier.

So the short answer is, "No - you are not crazy"

Enjoy

M

We have been on 7 cruises (6 RCCL and 1 X), 6 have been 7 days to the Eastern Carib. (the other was a 4 day to the Bahamas), 3 were on the Mariner in May of 05, 06 and 07. Next up? Navigator (sister ship to the Mariner) on a 9 night to...Eastern Carib.:D Each time has been wonderful in its own way with something new and exciting. I echo the sentiment of each time we cruise now it seems to be more relaxing because we aren't in a rush to try an squeeze everything in. We can read, nap and do the things we liked the best the first few times around. And for us stepping on the ship the first day still brings wonder and excitement of the week to come and just the sheer beauty and grandness of the ship itself. 238 days seems like forever right now!

I say go for it!

Thanks all…good to know that we are not that crazy :D lol

We will put a deadline on the decision by the end of next week, maybe we can get lucky and the prices drop even more ;) or the other way around...Anyhow we still have to check all this with work.

Greets

I've found it very interesting to read this thread and I guess I can be the contrarian here.

We once repeated an itinerary on the same ship and even the same week, and I found myself to be rather disappointed the second time around. This was the Carnival Elation sailing along the Mexican Riviera for the 4th of July week in 2002 and 2003.

The first cruise, we had a great time. It was our first experience on a Carnival ship and we were really enjoying ourselves. The ship was fun, the ports were great, and overall it was just a very good time.

The second cruise, however, was completely a clone of the first time. I had expected things to be subtly different, but I was impressed with just how identical it was... the same entertainment, the same cruise director,... the same everything. Unfortunately, we even did one of the same excursions, although that was enjoyable since I was able to do some things differently on the excursion and that was a treat.

So, since then, we've tried to vary things up with each cruise. This year will be the closest thing to a repeat since then. Last year we sailed on the Oasis of the Seas (Western Caribbean itinerary) and this year we're sailing on the Allure of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean itinerary, which we've done several times before). However, we're taking along a family friend who's not been to these ports of call before, so they're new to him, and we can act as casual guides, suggesting things to do.

I'm really glad to see that so many others have had positive experience with repeat cruising. As we've sailed so many times in the Caribbean on Royal Caribbean, we're running out of unique classes of ships and itineraries, but I feel encouraged that we'll be able to continue to find good choices and be able to have lots of enjoyment in our future cruising.

I've found it very interesting to read this thread and I guess I can be the contrarian here.

We once repeated an itinerary on the same ship and even the same week, and I found myself to be rather disappointed the second time around. This was the Carnival Elation sailing along the Mexican Riviera for the 4th of July week in 2002 and 2003.

The first cruise, we had a great time. It was our first experience on a Carnival ship and we were really enjoying ourselves. The ship was fun, the ports were great, and overall it was just a very good time.

The second cruise, however, was completely a clone of the first time. I had expected things to be subtly different, but I was impressed with just how identical it was... the same entertainment, the same cruise director,... the same everything. Unfortunately, we even did one of the same excursions, although that was enjoyable since I was able to do some things differently on the excursion and that was a treat.

So, since then, we've tried to vary things up with each cruise. This year will be the closest thing to a repeat since then. Last year we sailed on the Oasis of the Seas (Western Caribbean itinerary) and this year we're sailing on the Allure of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean itinerary, which we've done several times before). However, we're taking along a family friend who's not been to these ports of call before, so they're new to him, and we can act as casual guides, suggesting things to do.

I'm really glad to see that so many others have had positive experience with repeat cruising. As we've sailed so many times in the Caribbean on Royal Caribbean, we're running out of unique classes of ships and itineraries, but I feel encouraged that we'll be able to continue to find good choices and be able to have lots of enjoyment in our future cruising.

Thanks for a different opinion :D.

In June we were on a balcony, since we did not enjoy the balcony as much as we thought we would, we decided to go for a ocean view room for September, this will make it a little different.

I don’t doubt for a second that the entire September animation routine will be a clone from the June sailing…Like I said before, the animation was not that good in my opinion…Liberty is missing something there. But we never really count on them wherever we go…We try to make our own fun as much as possible.

Now the thing is, we just did the same cruise on Liberty last month June 11th…We had the greatest vacation ever, but I fear a bit when we rebook her, it will not be the same again should we go back September the 24th…The been there, done that feeling

What a waste of time, money and air miles. Yes, you are crazy for repeating the same cruise.

I am not into reruns or reliving glory days. There are plenty of other places to see around the world.

Air miles is infamous for their restrictions, limited offerings and black out dates. In fact, I am a former member. After all the shenanigans offered by the program, I switched to a better rewards program. Perhaps you should do the same.

Thanks for a different opinion :D.

In June we were on a balcony, since we did not enjoy the balcony as much as we thought we would, we decided to go for a ocean view room for September, this will make it a little different.

I don’t doubt for a second that the entire September animation routine will be a clone from the June sailing…Like I said before, the animation was not that good in my opinion…Liberty is missing something there. But we never really count on them wherever we go…We try to make our own fun as much as possible.

First of all not crazy at all and I don´t think there´s anything wrong.

Just two things, as you said you didn´t enjoy the balcony as much, if I get your post right the last time you had a busy excursion schedule, so it might be different this time, just something to think over.

The other part, don´t go into it with the wrong expectations. You said the first time was the greatest vacation ever. Don´t expect this one to be the same or even better - you will be dissappointed. You need to keep your expectation rather low and not compare to the first one. It will be different in some aspects and the same in others. but your perception of it will be set by your initial expectations and if they are too high you are in for some dissappointment.

You said the first time was the greatest vacation ever. Don´t expect this one to be the same or even better - you will be dissappointed. You need to keep your expectation rather low and not compare to the first one.

You hit the nail there…

I definitely don’t want to be inoculated against the cruise bug, what just might happened if we should go again. The last thing I want is to come home from a cruise with a feeling “never again”.

So we are looking out for something different, Adventure departing from Venice sounds nice, but the idiotic flight times to Venice from Brussels are total crap….hmmm lots of looking up to-do.

Greets

I will throw in my 2 cents worth,

My wife and I do repeat cruises all the time... Never done a back to back but we will sail with family and 2 weeks later jump back on the same ship just us. Its true the ship is the same and the entertainment is the same but the love of the sea is the true calling..

Let me sit on my balcony or in the atrium with a good book and relax.

As far as the ports how much can you see in a few hours. (I have been to cozumel so many times over the past 20 years but still can find new things to experience) I used to come home so tired after a cruise I needed a vaca from my vaca. Now I have learned to relax and often work the same day we dock.

Vacation is what you make of it, make it yours and enjoy

Rick

Archived