Excursions

geh001

Any tips regarding excursions?

Should we book in advance with the cruise line or are there a reputable privately own excursion companies that is good/better?

We are mostly interested in snuba, snorkeling, parasailing, shopping/tours. thing. I was thinking no more than one excursion per port, is that best?

Are there ports on a eastern caribbean itinerary where it’s best not book excursions?

Do all the beaches offer things like parasailing and jet skis, so there’s no need to book an excursion?

Sorry for the many question but we need help!

Your type style is very hard to read.

Go to the roll call for your sailing and ask. Go to the Ports of Call section and look to see what's available in your ports. Get a guide book and read up what's there and what you want to do.

Should we book in advance with the cruise line or are there a reputable privately own excursion companies that is good/better?

We are mostly interested in snuba, snorkeling, parasailing, shopping/tours. thing. I was thinking no more than one excursion per port, is that best?

Are there ports on a eastern caribbean itinerary where it’s best not book excursions?

Do all the beaches offer things like parasailing and jet skis, so there’s no need to book an excursion?

We can try to help you if you let us know which ports you are going to...a lot depends on that...

Sorry that my type style is hard to read, but I don't really know what you mean by that (what to change). I'm fairly new to the boards and I was just needing some help. I will try to figure it out. Thanks

My ports are Half Moon Cay, Puerta Rico, St Thomas and Grand Turk.

HMC is a private beach for your cruise ship...it's a beach day. Anything, like waverunners, etc... have to be booked thru the ship there. Better to rent them at another port where you an "do your own thing", rather than a "follow the leader" sort of thing!

All of your other ports have public beaches...there's no need to pay for excursions to a beach. But, do read a guidebook, so you'll know which beach you want to go to and which have the watersport rentals! A bit of research will save you a bundle!!

Most of the popular beaches offer water activities where you can rent jet skis and such right on the beach. For the days you want to just do things at the beach, I wouldn't book an excursion. Taxis will be lined up at the port where the ships dock willing to take you anywhere you want to go. You can just catch a cab to the beach you want to visit. You can also do this with island tours and most ports have shopping within walking distance of the ship, so there is no need to book excursions for things like that.

If you want to be taken out on a smaller boat and go snorkeling,I would probably book in advance, even though there may be some tour operators offerring those at the pier too, Going thru the cruiseline is fine if you want to go that route, but you may pay little more $$ or have a larger group than you would have if you went thru an independant company. If you want to go the independant route though, I suggest researching each of the islands and see what companies offer what you are looking for and then book the one you are most comfortable with after doing your reseach.

BTW, HMC is a private island and basically a beach day. Anything booked there goes thru the cruiseline.

Have fun!

I would say for San Juan there is really no need for an excursion. There are so many shops and restaurants right in Old San Juan you can easily keep busy just wandering around. You can pick up the self guided walking tour map at the tourist info center. It takes you along the waterfront, along the city walls and down a nice promenade area that has vendor booths set up. And the of course you could always visit one of the forts.

In St. Thomas there are two tours that I can recommend, Sonny Liston and Godfrey Tours...both tours are similar and include a stop at Coki Beach where the snorkeling is terrific. In Grand Turk you can't beat Blue Water Divers for snorkeling, Mitch, Audrey and the staff are great.

http://sunnylistonfuntours.com/

http://godfreytoursvi.com/

http://www.grandturkscuba.com/

On private tours vs ship excursions I think you can get pretty good deals with private. If you elect to go on a private excursion be sure you are back to the ship on time because they will not wait for you should you be late.

After my first cruise I now do one excursion per port. This gives plenty of time to shop locally or relax on the ship, especially if you are already on a port intensive itinerary.

I don't think there are any ports in the Caribbean I couldn't find a good excursion. I'm not sure the cruise lines would go to a port with nothing to offer.

I would do research on beaches and parasailing. Not all have them

Good luck with your research.

Incidentally, are you sure you are on the Liberty of the Seas? Right now she is in the Mediterranean and we will be on the transatlantic back to FLL on the 29th of Oct. Maybe you are on the Carnival Liberty.

On the text size, you can adjust it as you are typing in your entries.

Larry

Has anyone been there? Are the parts of the ruins a mile apart? I don't want to climb, just look.

We've been to Chichen Itza and to Merida.

Thanks for the help.

Found these reviews on tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150811-d667727-Reviews-Dzibilchaltun_Ruins-Merida_Municipality_of_Merida_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

The 6th review was by someone who had done the ruins on a cruise ship tour.

Thank you. I will bookmark the site for future reference. I believe that will require more walking than I am able to do right now because of recent foot surgery. I very much want to go there.

My suggestion is to do a LOT of reading on these boards (go the the boards with the particular place you are going) and do your research for the places people are a) asking about and b) suggesting that are good. You will get a feel for what best suits your needs. There are a lot of wonderful suggestions on places to go and things to do on here with a lot of knowledgeable people. This is how I plan my ports of call.

If you feel comfortable enough to do it on your own, it can be a LOT cheaper than booking with someone. You just have to do your research to see what cab go where (and the cost if that's important) and how much to rent equipment.

My suggestion for St Thomas is Sapphire Beach. BEAUTIFUL place with natural shade (grape trees) along the beach and snorkeling/coral galore. (The fish are very friendly too :D and will follow you around). Iguanas walking all over the beach. It's a true slice of paradise to me. You walk right in the ocean and can swim over the sandy part or go to the coral that goes ALL THE WAY up to the tip of the beach.

Here is my review if it interest you:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1280889

At the end of the post is a link to the pictures we took there (a lot of the snorkeling we did right off the beach).

Archived