Help! MY Time Dining Conundrum-longish

As my name says I am a newbie to this crusing game. I'm a Disney Veteran and I thought that the cruising would be a break from the crazy planning, spreadsheets and reservations necesary for a trip to DisneyWorld :) Unfortunately I got started late with the whole process and booked late. Originally I took the 6pm dining slot, then thought that it would be more flexible to do MTD, so I called and switched, and now I can't get the times I want. I booked the shows first, thinking it would be easier to work around that then to get the shows around the dining time. Now most of the dining times I could get which worked are early anyway (so much for switching from the 6pm assigned dining :eek: And a couple just won't work for the shows I have booked. When I click on a time which appears to be available and not filled when it goes to the next page it says "that time is not available and we have saved this time" (ususally a time earlier than I picked or so late that it conflicts with a show).

So my question is this: what experience have you had with just showing up when you want to dine and getting a spot without a reservation?

I guess if all else fails it's dinner earlier than we'd like in MDR, dinner in the Windjammer when we're ready, or somewhere else which doesn't have a fee or reservations required. We did want to at least go to the Formal Nights in the MDR.

Any help or encouragement appreciated for we novices. Thank you so much.

So my question is this: what experience have you had with just showing up when you want to dine and getting a spot without a reservation?

I guess if all else fails it's dinner earlier than we'd like in MDR, dinner in the Windjammer when we're ready, or somewhere else which doesn't have a fee or reservations required....

No offense, but this is really a non-issue. Rest assured, you absolutely may go to dinner without a reservation. That's all we ever did when we took MTD on Mariner a few months back. They may "push" for the reservation, but it's not necessary. If you go at peak times, like 7:30 or 8 pm, you may have a bit of a longer wait, but we were always seated immediately or at the longest, within 2 minutes. I know! That's nothing!

No worries, OK? And if by some chance you cannot be accomodated when you want one evening, also no worries... the Windjammer is wonderful for dinner in the evening, very relaxed and casual. You can go to Formal Nights in the dining room, and if you feel you should, perhaps make a reservation for those nights only.

Have a good cruise. Don't worry!!!!!!! :)

Thank you. I feel reassured. It's because at DisneyWorld it was virtually impossible to do a walk up to a popular restaurant and be seated. It was necessary to make reservations to be assured of a table. I'll get the hang of this cruising thing over time, but thanks again for the encouragement.

No offense, but this is really a non-issue. Rest assured, you absolutely may go to dinner without a reservation. That's all we ever did when we took MTD on Mariner a few months back. They may "push" for the reservation, but it's not necessary. If you go at peak times, like 7:30 or 8 pm, you may have a bit of a longer wait, but we were always seated immediately or at the longest, within 2 minutes. I know! That's nothing!

No worries, OK? And if by some chance you cannot be accomodated when you want one evening, also no worries... the Windjammer is wonderful for dinner in the evening, very relaxed and casual. You can go to Formal Nights in the dining room, and if you feel you should, perhaps make a reservation for those nights only.

Have a good cruise. Don't worry!!!!!!! :)

Absolutely!!!!!

I will repeat the best piece of LC's advice: Avoid the peak time of 7-8-ish, and you should have no problem.

If you speak to them one day about what time you want to eat the next day, they will make a reservation for you then.

It's really not a big deal to NOT make reservations now.

And I'll add this thought:

I was on the Oasis last summer. (I'll be on the Allure in 26 days :D)

We only ate dinner in the MDR once. one time. just once. LOVED all of the options on the Oasis class ships. We even loved NOT eating one night, and eating only tapas in Vintages one night. Glorious FREEDOM! :)

There were never more than a half-dozen people in line when I arrived at the MDR for MTD, unless I arrived before it opened. I generally eat before 7:00. One night I missed my reserved dining time and arrived 2 hours late at 8:30. No problem at all, I was still seated almost immediately!

As my name says I am a newbie to this crusing game. I'm a Disney Veteran and I thought that the cruising would be a break from the crazy planning, spreadsheets and reservations necesary for a trip to DisneyWorld :) Unfortunately I got started late with the whole process and booked late. Originally I took the 6pm dining slot, then thought that it would be more flexible to do MTD, so I called and switched, and now I can't get the times I want. I booked the shows first, thinking it would be easier to work around that then to get the shows around the dining time. Now most of the dining times I could get which worked are early anyway (so much for switching from the 6pm assigned dining :eek: And a couple just won't work for the shows I have booked. When I click on a time which appears to be available and not filled when it goes to the next page it says "that time is not available and we have saved this time" (ususally a time earlier than I picked or so late that it conflicts with a show).

I guess if all else fails it's dinner earlier than we'd like in MDR, dinner in the Windjammer when we're ready, or somewhere else which doesn't have a fee or reservations required. We did want to at least go to the Formal Nights in the MDR.

Any help or encouragement appreciated for we novices. Thank you so much.

We have NEVER made reservation for MTD and have used this since it first started. The whole point of MTD is NOT making reservation, in my opinion, so we don't make them because we never know what we're going to be doing the next day (the whole point of vacation if you ask me). We have never had to mait more then 5 minutes, if even that long, to get a table.

I am a first time cruiser as well, Just wondering, my TA booked 8pm as she said thats all that was available.

Does MTD cost? and if so how much$; If not how do I change to MTD, I will be sailing Dec 2011- Rhapsody

It doesn't cost anything extra, however you do have to prepay gratuities. (If you have traditional dining, you can either pay in person at the end of the cruise or arrange to have the tips added to your account once you're onboard).

If MTD is full, ask if you can get onto the waiting list. If the waitlist is closed, have your TA call back periodically to see if it opens up. Around the time of final payment, MTD should become available again, and you should clear the waitlist.

Otherwise, once onboard, see the maitre-d and arrange to be switched itno MTD (the gratuities will be added to your onboard acct at that time).

As my name says I am a newbie to this crusing game. I'm a Disney Veteran and I thought that the cruising would be a break from the crazy planning, spreadsheets and reservations necesary for a trip to DisneyWorld :)

Ah, someone else used to the crack-of-dawn calling on EXACTLY day 180 to get into Cinderella's Castle, or Le Cellier, or whatever is hot at the moment... And I had to laugh at your comment about your spreadsheets and whatnot -- old habits die hard, and I still do the same thing for cruises, just without the stress. :D

This will be our first time doing MTD, but from what I understand it's just as people have said above. If you want to make reservations, great, if not, you'll still get in. Lots of flexibility. (Not a word we're used to with WDW trips, I know!!) ;)

Have a GREAT time... as much as I adore our trips to WDW, cruising is an equal obsession because it's the only vacation where I don't feel like I need *another* vacation afterward just to recuperate. A WDW trip is so go-go-go, and a cruise is soooooo relaxing. Enjoy!! :)

-gina-

Ah, someone else used to the crack-of-dawn calling on EXACTLY day 180 to get into Cinderella's Castle, or Le Cellier, or whatever is hot at the moment... And I had to laugh at your comment about your spreadsheets and whatnot -- old habits die hard, and I still do the same thing for cruises, just without the stress. :D

This will be our first time doing MTD, but from what I understand it's just as people have said above. If you want to make reservations, great, if not, you'll still get in. Lots of flexibility. (Not a word we're used to with WDW trips, I know!!) ;)

Have a GREAT time... as much as I adore our trips to WDW, cruising is an equal obsession because it's the only vacation where I don't feel like I need *another* vacation afterward just to recuperate. A WDW trip is so go-go-go, and a cruise is soooooo relaxing. Enjoy!! :)

-gina-

I am a recovering Disney-aholic. My breaking point came with a 5 day trip with extended family where I did all of the planning and literally came home exhausted and twice as stressed. We no longer vacation at the House of Mouse and I now relax.

I did MTD for my upcoming cruise and I plan to enjoy it - we are doing a port intensive cruise with many late afternoon stops and it will greatly assist us in not rushing to dinner.

And yes I did get Cinderellas Table and Le Cellier both for a party of 12!

And I was on hold for about 35 minutes this past Tuesday getting a dining time on Christmas Eve for the Candlelight Processional for a friend who's travelling there for the holiday!!!! And that was a miniscule amount of time, considering I heard others were on for over an hour.

I have only done MTD on one ship and made reservations for a standing time, but I know that others say it is not necessary and you'll only wait a few minutes for them to seat you.

We have NEVER made reservation for MTD and have used this since it first started. The whole point of MTD is NOT making reservation, in my opinion, so we don't make them because we never know what we're going to be doing the next day (the whole point of vacation if you ask me). We have never had to mait more then 5 minutes, if even that long, to get a table.

Word for word exactly what I was going to say. :) I continue to get e-mails every few days "reminding" me to make my MTD reservations for my upcoming cruise. We take MTD because we have no clue what time we will want to eat. We usually have a before dinner drink at one of the lounges and then have dinner between 7 and 8pm. We have never waited more than 10 minutes. We wait a lot longer than that at restaurants around here with reservations. :) We booked all our shows ahead of time and will work dinners around it.

When the kids were little and we did WDW I literally would have spreadsheets and a binder with all the reservations and when I needed to call to make reservations. The "kids" are now 23 and 25 and I don't miss those crazy planning days. I do kind of miss WDW and sharing it with the kids though. :)

I am SO with you!! We never make reservations - that is the whole point of MTD, eating when we feel like it!! We have never waited either, always have the same wait staff and a great table for 2. We love it

When the kids were little and we did WDW I literally would have spreadsheets and a binder with all the reservations and when I needed to call to make reservations. The "kids" are now 23 and 25 and I don't miss those crazy planning days. I do kind of miss WDW and sharing it with the kids though. :)

This "kid" here is going on 45, and I will never ever get tired of my home-away-from-home... :D

But ever since the quick-service dining plan came out, DS and I no longer waste precious park time on sit-down meals. I have come to really, really love not being tied down to dining reservations.

That being said, we're doing MTD this next cruise because early dining is WAY too early, and late dining interferes with all the best teen activities. So we're hoping to make reservations for around 7pm, which will be perfect. So yeah, I'll be doing the dining countdown once again, ready to jump the moment we're able to make ressies! :)

-gina-

I understand that you can make reservations for MTD if you wish, however, I thought I read something in the OP about making reservations for shows. Is that necessary? I have only been on NCL before and so I am not familiar with this policy.

I understand that you can make reservations for MTD if you wish, however, I thought I read something in the OP about making reservations for shows. Is that necessary? I have only been on NCL before and so I am not familiar with this policy.

Oh, my... I never HEARD of making reservations for a show, in fact I never knew there was a way to see what shows were happening which night prior to sailing.

Is this true? not only the booking, but the knowing in advance?

I routinely skip all magicians, circus and comedians - many people's favorites but bore me to tears. I would hate to book a seat and then got stuck for the evening.

Whats the scoop?

Also, don't forget that you can order anything from the MDR and have it delivered to your room. Just have give a tip.

Can you tell me when this changed? We were on RCI a couple of years ago and couldn't order lobster, prime rib etc. There was a dinner menu but didn't include all the dinners served in the MDR. I hope you are right as we are going on Freedom in October and would love to order from room service a couple of nights. Thanks.

Archived