Tipping Procedure

motheroftwoboys

Hi everyone - we are sailiing on Nautica next week (so excited :) ) and just wanted to check something. I know that tips are "included" and we will pay for them on our on board account but do you actually get envelopes/vouchers for staff members on the last night of the cruise? We have sailed with other companies where this has been the norm both for pe-paid grats and for voluntary tips. Also, is it usual on Oceania to tip on top of the pre-paid grats?

The tipping on your shipboard account is generally enough. If you receive extra service you might want to leave a small additional gratuity for someone.

I do give a cash tip when room service delivers those orders.

Thanks for that. I just read some long item on tipping elsewhere on this site which seemed to say that most people tipped heavily on top of the tip. Seemed a bit odd. We are always happy to tip a bit extra at the end specially to our cabin stewards. Do you get envelopes on the last night or would be need to take some?

Thanks for that. I just read some long item on tipping elsewhere on this site which seemed to say that most people tipped heavily on top of the tip. Seemed a bit odd. We are always happy to tip a bit extra at the end specially to our cabin stewards. Do you get envelopes on the last night or would be need to take some?

I believe the thread you are referring to was mainly about those that tip butlers and cabin stewards for suites. People tip generously for those folks because they provide many extra services.:)

"We are always happy to tip a bit extra at the end specially to our cabin stewards. Do you get envelopes on the last night or would be need to take some?"

We usually tip the cabin steward and assistant on the last night of the cruise. We just give cash - no envelope.

Do you get envelopes on the last night or would be need to take some?

Bring envelopes with you. Weather or not your gratuities are included, Oceania does not supply them.

If an employee does extend exemplary service, it's always nice to write a short thank you note to include with the cash.

Hi everyone - we are sailiing on Nautica next week (so excited :) ) and just wanted to check something. I know that tips are "included" and we will pay for them on our on board account but do you actually get envelopes/vouchers for staff members on the last night of the cruise? We have sailed with other companies where this has been the norm both for pe-paid grats and for voluntary tips. Also, is it usual on Oceania to tip on top of the pre-paid grats?

Having worked in a hotel, I suspect the pre paid gratuities are heavily weighted towards the staff with seniority. I.e. maitre d's, restaurant captains, housekeeping supervisors and so on. Reception will happily give you a few envelopes for your use. It's difficult to give extra to one or two wait staff because there are so many. It's easy and not unusual to give a little extra to your cabin staff (there are 2 of them).

I just use the envelopes in the desk drawer or ask reception

I usually tip- the room steward/assistant

If we sit in the same section several times (we do on some cruises) we will tip the waiters extra

They do not supply envelopes for you to hand out on the last night like other cruise lines

Enjoy the cruise

We usually tip in US dollars. However, on our last trip (Singapore to Hong Kong) neither Euros or Dollars were the local currency at any of the stops.

But, what we don't know is what on-board banking (financial) services are offered to the crew.

I'd also like to know the answer to this. :)

The ship will bill you in USD

The crew will accept any currency :)

if we are in Europe & have Euro we give them that in Caribbean we give USD

Lyn

Archived