Walkie talkies while on board

PATRIOTSRULE

Walkie talkies are a "hot button" here. Many work, but I don't have a recommendation for you. Be careful when in port. Some other countries use those frequencies for things like emergency response. So unless you've looked it up in advance, don't use them in port.

A lot of folks are annoyed by them. Just be considerate, and hope they're the same towards you.

I am sorry, I fall into the category of walkie talkie intolerant. Far to many of them don't work aboard ship and at best your fellow passengers are going to have to put up with overhearing your lound sqawky conversations. Try things like the phone system that has voice mail, post it notes or even a white board.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're not allowed to have them in the children's program. They could be quite disruptive during the various activities. But I don't know for sure, so it would be a good idea to check.

beachchick

We like to use the white board for letting each other know where we're going. As for the kids, they're in a program so that you can enjoy adult time! Enjoy peace and solitude and let them make friends.... :)

There are some decent relatively inexpensive ones out there that work on cruise ships...

We have used them and not had any problems, we just use them VERY sparingly and at an acceptable level.

It really isn't for anyone to tell you whether you should or shouldn't use them, that wasn't the question...try these or something of the sorts...

Motorola MH230R 23-Mile Range 22-Channel FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radio (Pair)

acceptable level.

However what you consider acceptable might be very annoying to those around you.

I find them annoying at any level, especially when they make a tone to alert you of an incoming message.

There are some decent relatively inexpensive ones out there that work on cruise ships...

We have used them and not had any problems, we just use them VERY sparingly and at an acceptable level.

It really isn't for anyone to tell you whether you should or shouldn't use them, that wasn't the question...try these or something of the sorts...

Motorola MH230R 23-Mile Range 22-Channel FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radio (Pair)

And please bear in mind these are regulated by the FCC and require you obtain a license. Also they are not legal in many countries including Canada and Mexico and most of the Caribbean and can cause a real problem for you. Check the appropriate regulations and keep yourself out of trouble. Using the frequencies assigned to another countries military or police are your issue.:mad:

People are very happy to give out very bad information and tell you they never had a problem so it must be ok. I suggest you not do it, but it's your choice.

However what you consider acceptable might be very annoying to those around you.

I find them annoying at any level, especially when they make a tone to alert you of an incoming message.

Then the question becomes whether the radio user is being inconsiderate, or are you being unreasonable?

Then the question becomes whether the radio user is being inconsiderate, or are you being unreasonable?

I don't see where an expectation of an environment without walkie-talkie noises is unreasonable--especially in shows, restaurants, the spa, etc.

Just my humble opinion...DON'T DO IT!!! It's loud and annoying & disturbs your fellow passengers. Make a plan in the morning while at breakfast. Talk to your children. Leave post-its in the cabin. Communicate verbally...like back in the day!:D!

Have a great cruise!

Has anyone used the walkie talkies while on board. We want to be able to keep in touch with the kids while they are in the youth program.

Why would you need to keep in touch with your children while they are in the youth program? Anyway, they won't be allowed in with them, so it's a moot point.

I don't see where an expectation of an environment without walkie-talkie noises is unreasonable--especially in shows, restaurants, the spa, etc.

Have never seen a walkie talkie in use on a ship except with the user standing off by the railing on an open deck. What can I say? I didn't make a choice to become offended over it.

In shows and restaurants (don't do the spa...) I've never seen a walkie talkie, but have had my patience pushed by intolerant folks grousing at the waiter. Also by folks that yammer on when you're trying to hear the show, your waiter, etc...

Here come a bunch of posts saying they'd had numerous shows and dinners ruined by walkie talkies.......:rolleyes:

And please bear in mind these are regulated by the FCC and require you obtain a license. Also they are not legal in many countries including Canada and Mexico and most of the Caribbean and can cause a real problem for you. Check the appropriate regulations and keep yourself out of trouble. Using the frequencies assigned to another countries military or police are your issue.:mad:

People are very happy to give out very bad information and tell you they never had a problem so it must be ok. I suggest you not do it, but it's your choice.

Best advice I've seen is; get waterproof ones so when your fellow passengers throw you overboard they still work.

Have never seen a walkie talkie in use on a ship except with the user standing off by the railing on an open deck. What can I say? I didn't make a choice to become offended over it.

In shows and restaurants (don't do the spa...) I've never seen a walkie talkie, but have had my patience pushed by intolerant folks grousing at the waiter. Also by folks that yammer on when you're trying to hear the show, your waiter, etc...

Here come a bunch of posts saying they'd had numerous shows and dinners ruined by walkie talkies.......:rolleyes:

Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean that others haven't. We definitely had one of our shows on the Magic interrupted by some boor with a walkie-talkie that kept talking (actually at one point shouting) into it.

I was having a pedicure done on the Magic and the lady next to me getting a manicure kept talking on a walkie-talkie as well--just really rude.

And yes, in both cases I found it entirely offensive and a total lack of manners and courtesy.

And please bear in mind these are regulated by the FCC and require you obtain a license.

According to the FCC, you do not need a license to use this type of radio in the US. I'm not advocating using or not using them on board, and there are countries, or some areas of some countries, where they're not allowed. But specifically as to the FCC licensing issue --

(Excerpts from web page (italics and bolding are mine)):

.... The most popular types of personal radio services are Citizens Band Radio Service (CB), Family Radio Service (FRS), General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS), Low-Power Radio Service (LPRS) and Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS). Of these types of personal radio services, only GMRS requires an FCC license to operate.

FRS allows two-way voice communications over very short distances, generally less than one-half mile. It is generally used by families or small groups to communicate while on group outings when group members are fairly close together, but can also be used in business-related settings.

• An FRS unit looks and works much like a walkie-talkie. Prices for FRS units vary depending on features and quality.
  • If you have a dual-use, FRS-General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) unit, you may legally use only the FRS channels unless you have a GMRS license. The label on the unit or the operations manual should indicate the service the unit is certified for. FRS-only units transmit at lower power levels and have antennas that are integrated with the unit; GMRS units transmit at higher power levels and may have detachable antennas.
  • You can operate your FRS unit anywhere in the U.S. and its possessions. Before using FRS in other countries such as Canada and Mexico, check to see if that country allows operation of FRS units. There is no minimum age requirement for operating a FRS unit.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/personal-radio-services-prs-keeping-touch

We use these when we travel -- in large or crowded venues like flea markets and festivals in places where there's no cell phone coverage. They also are handy when driving 2 separate vehicles on a long trip -- to announce getting off an exit, etc. At least a couple of times we'd have been separated, and not realized it until quite a ways down the road when the other driver didn't show up. (A CB would do the same thing, but what "ordinary" car has a CB any more?)

My personal take on board ship is that they'd probably be more trouble than they're worth, with the other communication options available.

Linda

Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean that others haven't. We definitely had one of our shows on the Magic interrupted by some boor with a walkie-talkie that kept talking (actually at one point shouting) into it.

I was having a pedicure done on the Magic and the lady next to me getting a manicure kept talking on a walkie-talkie as well--just really rude.

And yes, in both cases I found it entirely offensive and a total lack of manners and courtesy.

If that happened to me, I might be miffed too. But I wouldn't assume everyone with a walkie talkie is a menace, anymore then I assume anyone without one is a saint.

According to the FCC, you do not need a license to use this type of radio in the US. I'm not advocating using or not using them on board, and there are countries, or some areas of some countries, where they're not allowed. But specifically as to the FCC licensing issue --

(Excerpts from web page (italics and bolding are mine)):

.... The most popular types of personal radio services are Citizens Band Radio Service (CB), Family Radio Service (FRS), General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS), Low-Power Radio Service (LPRS) and Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS). Of these types of personal radio services, only GMRS requires an FCC license to operate.

If they're marked as "High Power", "22 Channel" or "5 Watts", they're GMRS; which requires a license in the USA, and is illegal at 5 Watts in Canada.

If that happened to me, I might be miffed too. But I wouldn't assume everyone with a walkie talkie is a menace, anymore then I assume anyone without one is a saint.

In reality, there is no way to use them on a crowded ship without making unnecessary noise that will disturb others, unless both parties are in their cabins--in which case there are these things called telephones...

If you're at the pool, sports deck, or in other normally louder areas, you'll need to be yelling into the thing to overcome background noise. Yup, that's what I want, someone yelling into a walkie-talkie next to me. If you're in the library, the spa, pretty much anywhere else that tends to be quieter on the ship, using one will be disruptive to others. And using them in a restaurant or at a show is just downright rude, period.

Seriously, millions of people cruise a year without them and do just fine.

Archived