Cancelling Excursions

Rudolph38

We have booked a cruise for February, and have until December to make a final commitment. We get a full refund if we have to cancel the cruise before that date.

If we book excursions early and then later have to cancel the cruise, do we also get a full refund on the booked excursions?

Thanks in advance.

Rudy

Anything you book on line is fully refundable (I believe up until 3 days prior to sailing - the fine print always changes). So, no worries. You can change your mind and cancel even if you are cruising and if you cancel your cruise everything you booked on line is credited back to your credit card.

We have booked an excursion for the first day of our Canada cruise. It's a bike ride in from Quebec City to the falls. Neither of us likes to ride in the rain. DH might tough it out, but I don't want to be wet for several hours in October, so I would probably bail. The tour description doesn't say it goes rain or shine, so I don't know who decides when it's too bad to ride.

I know we can cancel up to 3 days before departure, but weather forecasts three days out can be unreliable. We would be sure about the weather when we embark in Montreal. Will there any opportunity to make a change on the first night? This tour is insanely expensive (something like $100), so I don't want to lose the money.

Will there any opportunity to make a change on the first night? This tour is insanely expensive (something like $100), so I don't want to lose the money.

This is a HAL excursion, I take it?

The first day aboard I go to speak to the folks at Shore Excursions about my choices, to see if they will be too much for me. I have been able to cancel that day, without penalty, even if I didn't make another choice.

I also seem to recall cancelling an excursion, not having to do with ability, and booking a different, at least as expensive, excursion. Again, no penalty.

I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but it may give some info you can use.

I was on the Rotterdam's Secret Civilizations cruise this past Spring. By the time we exited the Panama Canal, I was "toured out" and went to the Shore Excursion Office and cancelled the tour in Costa Limon that I had booked on line on my credit card months before. I cancelled more than 24 hours before the tour, and, in that case, they put a credit on my shipboard account. Easy and painless.

We have booked an excursion for the first day of our Canada cruise. It's a bike ride in from Quebec City to the falls. Neither of us likes to ride in the rain. DH might tough it out, but I don't want to be wet for several hours in October, so I would probably bail. The tour description doesn't say it goes rain or shine, so I don't know who decides when it's too bad to ride.

I know we can cancel up to 3 days before departure, but weather forecasts three days out can be unreliable. We would be sure about the weather when we embark in Montreal. Will there any opportunity to make a change on the first night? This tour is insanely expensive (something like $100), so I don't want to lose the money.

There are many excursions that will still go -- rain or sun.

Check your Explorer Daily Program on Embarkation day to find out the times the Shore Excursion desk will be open on that day. You can cancel up to closing on that day without a penalty.

Since your excursion is the very first full day of your cruise -- if you don't intend to take the tour -- you must cancel on Embarkation -- otherwise it is too late to cancel the next day -- you will lose everything!!

Thanks all for the info. Yes, it's a HAL tour, although I think I found the bike shop that's running it. I may contact the shop directly to find out their rain policy.

I haven't had to cancel or change a tour on board, so I wasn't sure what to do. My concern is that I won't have 24 hours between boarding and the tour. I hate to go to the tour office the first time it opens, as it's likely to be busy. But I'll stand in line if I have to--not gonna burn $100!

I wrenched my back during a recent NA cruise and had no problem cancelling all excursions 24 hours or more in advance while onboard.

As soon as you know you have a problem go to the shore excursion desk (or concierge if in a deluxe suite). They were able to print out a confirmation of the cancellation for me. There were no problems in having the fees credited to my shipboard account.

My impression is that they want to encourage people to buy excursions in advance, so they are very helpful in facilitating cancellations with 24 hours' notice.

They don't want people to fear making advance excursion purchases.

...I haven't had to cancel or change a tour on board, so I wasn't sure what to do. My concern is that I won't have 24 hours between boarding and the tour. I hate to go to the tour office the first time it opens, as it's likely to be busy. But I'll stand in line if I have to--not gonna burn $100!

Ahhh. I remember when I was much younger and $100 was a whole bunch of money and worth a great deal of effort to save.

I just made the excursion reservations for the family (kids and grandkids) for a simple 14 day Alaska cruise on the Amsterdam.

The total came to around $8,000.

Scott & Karen

Ahhh. I remember when I was much younger and $100 was a whole bunch of money and worth a great deal of effort to save.

I just made the excursion reservations for the family (kids and grandkids) for a simple 14 day Alaska cruise on the Amsterdam.

The total came to around $8,000.

Scott & Karen

I am not young and poor, although I don't own piles of expensive jewelry or spend thousands of dollars on tours. I am thrifty--blame my Yorkshire heritage--and I don't like to be overcharged. When I looked at the tour again, I realized that we were paying $100 pp for a 3.5 hour bike ride. I'm usually quick to defend ships' tours when people say they save money by booking independent tours. I've often found the prices to be nearly the same. But paying $100 to ride a bike isn't good value for money, and paying $100 for NOTHING is even worse value.

I remembered that a few months ago I had sussed out the bike shop involved. I checked their website again and found that they rent bikes. I don't know why I didn't plan on that in the first place. We've been to Quebec City a couple of times, once with a whole slate of tours, so we know the area, know the history. And we can certainly read a map. We prefer to bike with just the two of us anyhow. And with the money we save, we can buy ourselves some Caribou to drink when we get back to the city!

Archived