Best spot in Wakiki (or anywhere on OAHU) to buy a fun Hawaiian dress!

jordans mom

Will be in wakiki with a car for a few days before the cruise.

Would really like to get some recommendations on where best to get a nice, budget friendly (not cheap junk) Hawaiian dress for me and some shirts for the boys!

I see there are many spots to go shopping - but since I am not that into shopping as a sport :p

- prefer to stay on the beach and use my time to hit some tourist spots .... I am really hoping I can get pointed to 1-2 spots to drop in quick and clean and get something nice to wear!

I see there is a Macy's on the island .... wonder if they have a good selection of local color?

Well - let me know as soon as you can - cruise is late August!:D

Would really like to get some recommendations on where best to get a nice, budget friendly (not cheap junk) Hawaiian dress for me and some shirts for the boys!

I see there are many spots to go shopping - but since I am not that into shopping as a sport :p

- prefer to stay on the beach and use my time to hit some tourist spots .... I am really hoping I can get pointed to 1-2 spots to drop in quick and clean and get something nice to wear!

I see there is a Macy's on the island .... wonder if they have a good selection of local color?

When I was in Maui I went to Macy's and they were haviing a great sale (of course hit and miss) but I found two wonderful dresses that I have never seen on the mainland (nice dresses, but Hawaii), I still wear them to this day! Might want to try it to get a quality dress.

Hilo Hattie's,of course, is good for outfitting the entire family. Macy's is good...especialy for the men's shirts. I have never seen a large selection of typical Hawaiian print dresses for women, but then again the Macy's here in Hilo is very small with a limited selection.

Hilo Hattie's is always fun, but even better (IMHO) is the International Market. It's right downtown on Waikiki (about a three block walk from the Aston) and they have a great array of wonderous items that you just cannot hardly live without!

Serously, though, we typically spend a couple hours in there, just wandering about. We always seem to find shirts, dresses, and fun trinkets for the kids and grandkids...and ourselves.

During our honeymoon and then on our first Hawaiian cruise (on the Island Princess in 2005), we went to the Aloha Tower marketplace and bought matching aloha shirt and dress for us. We always try to wear our outfits at least once on a cruise and we get all sorts of compliments. On our December cruise, we went to the marketplace and it looked like most stores have closed. We did try to spend some money there to help them. But we did a lot of our shopping on Oahu at the Ala Moana mall (our first time there in four visits to the islands).

We also went to a Hilo Hatties in Hilo. That is a fun store.

During our honeymoon and then on our first Hawaiian cruise (on the Island Princess in 2005)' date=' we went to the Aloha Tower marketplace and bought matching aloha shirt and dress for us. We always try to wear our outfits at least once on a cruise and we get all sorts of compliments. On our December cruise, we went to the marketplace and it looked like most stores have closed. We did try to spend some money there to help them. But we did a lot of our shopping on Oahu at the Ala Moana mall (our first time there in four visits to the islands).

We also went to a Hilo Hatties in Hilo. That is a fun store.[/quote']

We noticed that too in October, there was only a furniture store and couple of other shops. Must have been an economy thing. I know when we had booked the cruise we chased the cruise price and got about $750 in OBC. But it's not happening for our upcoming cruise.

Hilo Hattie's is always fun, but even better (IMHO) is the International Market. It's right downtown on Waikiki (about a three block walk from the Aston) and they have a great array of wonderous items that you just cannot hardly live without!

Serously, though, we typically spend a couple hours in there, just wandering about. We always seem to find shirts, dresses, and fun trinkets for the kids and grandkids...and ourselves.

I second the International Market place, lots and lots and lots of stuff there. Enjoy

Cori

The Walmart near Ala Moana shopping center has a very large "Hawaii" section. I've noticed more and more happy tourists there, with shopping carts of clothing, beach towels and beach accessories, food, snacks; well, you get the idea!

They've really increased the size of the hawaiian clothing/trinkets/souveniers section and when I peeked in, the prices and quality were good.

Hope this helps.

Aloha,

Noreen

The Walmart near Ala Moana shopping center has a very large "Hawaii" section. I've noticed more and more happy tourists there, with shopping carts of clothing, beach towels and beach accessories, food, snacks; well, you get the idea!

They've really increased the size of the hawaiian clothing/trinkets/souveniers section and when I peeked in, the prices and quality were good.

Hope this helps.

Aloha,

Noreen

I should have know that they might have a Wal Mart there...... !! duh

THANKS! :p

Walmart is not in the Ala Moana. About 3 blocks north (away from the sea)

directly north from from where the Waikiki trolley stops...Nordstrom store just outside the mall. not only the usual tourist stuff but university of Hawaii gear

if you are thinking of buying trolley tickets..check out the this week in hawaii tourist brochures as they normally have coupons (ie we had 2 for one coupons last time)...

My vote is a place called Hilo Hattie. They even will pick you up with a van and bring you to the shop.

My vote is a place called Hilo Hattie. They even will pick you up with a van and bring you to the shop.

Pick me up ...hmmmm -

maybe when the boys go off to play golf......

I see a plan coming together! LOL :D

Hilo Hatties is great, but I found a great deal at the International Marketplace. I wanted to get some friends matching shirts. Ended up getting a shirt for the man (size XXL) a dress for the lady and a dress for their 1 year old granddaughter in the same print. That is quite hard to do at many places. I think you could probably do this at Hilo Hattie's as well, but the cost is about 3X what I paid. It was less than $50 for all that I bought!

Avoid Macy's the best place IMHO is the marketplace at the end of the waikiki across from the moana surfrider hotel, was just there three days ago, great for the cheap touristy stuff, much better the Hilo, cheap eats inside too. They have a farmers market there on Thursdays too!

Hilo Hatties is great, but I found a great deal at the International Marketplace. I wanted to get some friends matching shirts. Ended up getting a shirt for the man (size XXL) a dress for the lady and a dress for their 1 year old granddaughter in the same print. That is quite hard to do at many places. I think you could probably do this at Hilo Hattie's as well, but the cost is about 3X what I paid. It was less than $50 for all that I bought!

Need to figure out where that is vis a vis the Outrigger

Which Outrigger hotel are you staying in? If it is the Outrigger Waikiki, the International Marketplace is directly across the street. If you are staying at the Outrigger Reef, then the International Marketplace is about a 5-10 minute fun walk (depending on how much you want to window shop along the way) right through all the action of Waikiki.

Basically, the International Marketplace is walkable from any hotel in Waikiki :).

how could we discuss Hawaii and not mention the ABC stores..7 11 with souvenirs..only about every 5 feet in Waikiki

I know, hey? Hilarious! We ended up buying a lot of stuff there from souvenirs to clothing, daily snacks, fruit, milk, mac nuts, etc. ABC is legendary. Ooof.

OP, I would suggest (and don't laugh....) Sears. We found Sears had the largest selection of Hawaiian shirts we've ever seen in one place, seriously. We were gobsmacked at the huge selection. Sears is in a huge, beautiful mall, too.

Ala Moana Mall

1450 Ala Moana Blvd, Honolulu, HI 96814

Archived