Why is Riviera maiden suddenly showing all wait-list?

Ragnar Danneskjold

Jim & Stan,

Will you have to start a new Roll Call or can you just change the date? We have decided we are probably going to stay on the "new" maiden voyage, too! :)

Just started a new one, come say Hi!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=30043516#post30043516

Jan- Will you and Stu be done barging around France with Princess Mura by the 24th? Maybe this was beshert?

Just started a new one, come say Hi!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=30043516#post30043516

Jan- Will you and Stu be done barging around France with Princess Mura by the 24th? Maybe this was beshert?

Yes we will trying to figure out how we can leave Viking and jump on with all of you as we will be in Europe..

Jancruz1

We are already booked on the April 24th cruise so the only problem is my 3rd B2B ports are now the same as this years Marina cruise that we did in May.:mad:

We had not booked our air, only many shores excursions.

Well, Princess Mura and Prince Howard leave Viking in Paris on April 29th ... and our flight home is on May 2nd.

But I know Queen Jan can work miracles! We'd hate to see her abandon us mid-cruise on Viking but -- Jan, what are you doing about the Friends and Family cruise on Riviera??

Had we stuck with the Riviera B2B it wouldn't really have mattered to us (other than that we would have been flying to Barcelona two weeks before our cruise left from Athens!) ... but we've made lemonade out of lemons before and could have found a way to wend our way to Athens!

I see that some people just cannot make the switch, or don't like the new itinerary, and my sympathies are with them. But at least this is WELL before final payment!

This should be interesting ...

OK, the lady who first suggested Istanbul over Athens for the inaugural cruise now is really intrigued, but I bet Mr. Military History will resist going anywhere near Egypt.:)

There is always the Battle of El Alamaine for Mr. Military History :D

It actually is more modern-day battles that concern him about this itinerary!:)

Understood.

In reality, the only true risk you (and MR. M.H.) would face is a change in itinerary. If closer to time it would be determined that Egypt or Israel are not safe to visit - Oceania would not take that risk and would be conservative in their decision. As long as that is an acceptable risk, you should do it especially if that decision were to be made before final payment, leaving you other options.

As you and others have said, you never know what future holds for any of us (health wise or politically speaking).

Carpe diem :)

I thought Don posted the other day they were ahead of schedule??

Is it the ship's delivery schedule or the ports that is the problem?

not that i am on the cruise anyway:(

No, actually I posted that it is FDR's sincere intention that the ship will be ready to sail when the maiden voyage occurs. There will be no repeat of an unfinished ship swarming with shipyard workers making last minute finishing touches (and more).

If what that takes is moving the ship's maiden voyage dates, obviously that's what happened -- and who knows, may happen again, if the shipyard dates continue to slip.

My post was primarily to warn that there is less likelihood of an unfinished ship, thus less likelihood of the freebies such as on Marina.

From what I have heard from my TA, this adjustment is being made because the completion date has slipped. I imagine the negotiations with the shipyard are happening fast and furiously.

This economy has hit Fincatieri very hard. I have heard that Riviera may be one of the last ships built at the Genoa facility. I just heard that Costa has placed a new order with Fincatieri, but at a different facility.

It's planned for Riviera to be absolutely complete significantly ahead of time, so it's unlikely there will be as many "slippages".

Sorry I misinterpreted your statement about being done early

Lyn

I look at those comments from travel agents, such as Jan Cruz, and of course they present a positive approach--duh.

We had no problem with the change, and we went out for a walk this evening to discuss the matter, and discussed the fact that we could not get a stateroom of our choice because they were taken by those who had booked this cruise "following the Maiden voyage." Checking on this and that stateroom--"sorry, those are already taken"--gave us a totally different opinion of this change and O.

Say what you will say, but our agent worked very hard to get our (and our friends' staterooms) for the Maiden voyage, and then we have to take a backseat to the "2nd voyage" passengers. It is really hard to believe that anyone would accept this (unless they got the exact stateroom they had booked for the Maiden). Anyway, we are all cancelling simply for that reason. This would be our 12th O trip, not many compared to travel agents who get their berths at a discount anyway, but we are the paying passengers, and we are very, very disappointed in O. We would have taken the trip, but not when we couldn't get a decent stateroom.

There are other lines other than O, and what a wonderful time to book our trip on another line. Am I angry for the way we were treated--yes. Not because of the change.

Spindrift, I'm a client of she whose name cannot be mentioned ... but even so!

The point you bring up is one that occurred to me. Both cruises had cabins booked. Let's say you had an OS or VS (or an Oceania Suite) on the first cruise ... but in switching to the second cruise you can't get that kind of accommodation. Yes, you're going to be unhappy.

Obviously, people who had only booked Leg 2 have priority.

Even though we cancelled, we had been booked on both legs so we wouldn't have been negatively affected had we NOT cancelled.

But it's certainly true that the elimination of Leg 1 is going to cause a lot of problems for lots of people. Some people already booked flights or hotels. Okay, in most cases you can cancel a hotel without a problem this far in advance but flights are another consideration. (I am aware that O said it will cover people for the flight costs.) But some people also had longer itineraries prepared which clearly are now thrown up in the air.

Some people have already said they don't want to do the change (because of itinerary) or cannot do the change (because of prior commitments).

For some it's actually a welcome change, and for others it is not.

My sympathies to all who are negatively impacted!

Mura

Myself and 4 other cabins will be casualty of this change.

I am not sore at all towards Oceania and am very thankful that they have given so much notice. However, the itinerary and dates are not quite right anymore.

I have to selfishly admit that I was looking forward to filing daily "live from Riviera maiden voyage" reports..but we had so much fun on the Marina that I can't imagine how Riviera could top that experience.

At any rate, I sincerely hope that each of you that is going will have the time of your life. From an 'O' newbie, I appreciate their attention to detail and their devotion to making things right.

We need more companies like this one.

David

We had no problem with the change, and we went out for a walk this evening to discuss the matter, and discussed the fact that we could not get a stateroom of our choice because they were taken by those who had booked this cruise "following the Maiden voyage." Checking on this and that stateroom--"sorry, those are already taken"--gave us a totally different opinion of this change and O.

Oh my :eek:

Now if you were on the 2nd voyage you would be hollering louder had you been bumped to accommodate the people on the MV

I know you are upset but no need to slag off other people on this forum

Lyn

Unfortunately, we won't be able to make the new maiden trip. In fact we had been booked on the 24th sailing and just last Monday had to cancel due to a meeting Glen has to attend in early May and instead booked the Marina transatlantic and just figured we would spend 12 days in Spain before the transatlantic and the "old maiden voyage sailing." We are sorry that we won't be sailing again with some of our favorite Oceania friends but now we will just start trying to figure what we will do. What is crazy is that we were originally booked on the Regatta from Pappette to Auckland next January and gave up that cruise to go on the Riviera's first 2 cruises. Oh well, there is a reason for everything and in the long run everything will work out for the best. Who knows, now we may even try and do an Asia trip or book the Miami to Miami on Marina and make the transatlantic a B2B with the transatlantic the second leg. Choices, choices.....

Cenia

PS Need someone to take over the roll call for the new maiden voyage.

We are in quite a dilemma! We have purchased our air plus put deposits down on two rentals before our original cruise in Southern France. I do have cruise insurance but do not know if any of this would qualify. Can someone please enlighten me as to why this new itinerary is so special. We really wanted to see Rome and had all the tours lined up. We can cancel these with this much notice. We could always go to France, take the train to Rome, and then fly to Athens, but that would mean we would be away longer and would be more costly.

Again, those who are more informed than I (I have just spent the last few months researching the old ports!) please tell us the advantages to the new itinerary. Some are obvious but some are not.

Thanks.

Pearl

Pearl,

Thank you so much for asking these questions. We are pretty sure we want to stay on the maiden voyage, but would love to hear others' opinions of these ports. We had been to about half of the ports on the April 14th itinerary and we have not been to any of the new April 24th ports.

Judy jkn528 at att dot net

Ragnar Danneskjold "Did it really fill up in the last few days, or is something else going on (like a schedule change, etc.)?"

Thank you for being the first to spot the possible change in sail date for the MV. All cabins on waiting list just didn't look right. Some would have been sold out ... particularly the highest and lowest categories which usually sell out first for most cruises.

Please keep us posted for any similar changes you spot!

Thanks. Ol' Ragnar has lead a hard life and is a suspicious sort :o

Brings to mind that line from the old Simon and Garfunkel song:

"Orangutans are sceptical of changes in their cages..."

And to that song I'll make a small change:

"And ol' Ragnar is very fond of rum."

See you all on the new maiden! Don't forget the rum!

"

Thanks. Ol' Ragnar has lead a hard life and is a suspicious sort :o

Brings to mind that line from the old Simon and Garfunkel song:

"Orangutans are sceptical of changes in their cages..."

And to that song I'll make a small change:

"And ol' Ragnar is very fond of rum."

See you all on the new maiden! Don't forget the rum!

"

Glad you are staying on the maiden. Be sure to check in on the new Roll Call!:)

LHT, what is "slag off" mean? I don't think that is a term we use in our social circles.

I just expressed my opinion, which I thought was what CC was all about. Guess I was wrong. Anyway, we are off the Maiden. Maybe saying that it is wrong also. Boy oh boy, was I ever wrong about this group & LHT.

Spindthrift,

Chances are due to anger, upset (both of which are understandable - especially after itinerary changes in last cruise) your post has come across more aggressive than you perhaps realised and certainly aimed for. From all the posts of yours that I've read (Land of Midnight Sun roll call), you come across as fair-minded. Not only that, you were one of the first to try to counter the negativity (due to drastic itinerary change). And as they say: no good deed goes unpunished. As I recall, you received a rather nasty attack accusing you of being a relative of Oceania management! :eek:

Because of that, we decided to steer clear of the M&G - we didn't want to take the chance that the M&G would be mostly about the itinerary change. It may not have been like that, but the underlying tone of the rollcall was such that we were not going to risk it. Actually, the timing was rather bad as well - first time on any cruise, we wanted to be on deck when we set sail, not in the bar.

I look at those comments from travel agents, such as Jan Cruz, and of course they present a positive approach--duh. [...]This would be our 12th O trip, not many compared to travel agents who get their berths at a discount anyway, but we are the paying passengers [...]

Tone is one aspect that is very often misinterpreted, because it is hard to convey tone in the written word. I must admit, when I read your post, it "sounded" a little like "slagging off" at/to travel agents, to me. The 'duh' and suggestion of T/As not falling into the paying passenger group conveyed that to me.

Even with smilies, people get misinterpreted all the time. (Of course, some people have smilies disabled, so they don't see :rolleyes: :D ;) )

LHT, what is "slag off" mean? (to talk insultingly to or about someone) I don't think that is a term we use in our social circles. Also, could be taken as insulting.

I just expressed my opinion, which I thought was what CC was all about. Guess I was wrong. Anyway, we are off the Maiden. Maybe saying that it is wrong also. Boy oh boy, was I ever wrong about this group & LHT. could seem a little strong considering the posts that have gone before

I hope Spindthrift you stay on O's forum. We all are guilty of misinterpreting (impossible not to on the internet IMHO) and I bet there isn't a person on any forum, who hasn't at one time felt that they have been misunderstood.

Trina2, you are very perceptive. I think I would have hired you to be on my team in health care patient relations.

I love the CC group, and often I have feelings about the remarks, but no further on this matter. I hope everyone has a fabulous trip. We have changed to what we think will be a great trip, but will miss terribly the maiden voyage.

Archived