Locanda Orseolo

Longislanderluvs2cruise

I think this scenario or something similar to it was also a sub-plot in one of the Donna Leon books... I'd have to go through them to remember which one though.

Can't remember the name of the book but Inspector Brunetti comes home to find that his home-the top floor of a palazzo-near Ca Angeli is illegal in that it had been added on without permission by a previous owner. In one of the other books, the owner does her alterations without the required permission and then pays the fine retroactively. The fine goes unrecorded so that it ends up in the pocket of the city officials. No wonder Donna Leon won't publish her books in Italian- she has to be able to live in Venice.

We just received an email from the Locanda Orseolo saying that our room is NOT affected by the issues they are having either!!! :):)

We emailed yesterday and got a reply this morning saying our October reservation is not affected by this problem. Huge sigh of relief!

Congrats to you both.....:):):)

Bob

Hi

How very disappointing for guests looking forward to stay at LO. We stayed there in May 10 and it was one of the highlights of our trip. It was a very special place with the most amazing staff.

When did it change ownership, did that happen recently ??

Does anyone know which room numbers are affected? I have sent 2 emails to the hotel but have not received a reply. I sent one, two days ago and another a short time ago. I am trying to avoid an international phone call but may have to do that. Thanks!

It appears that the family who owns LO have had it for a while. It has NOT recently changed hands. It appears that the problem with the rooms not being "certified" for use in a hotel was an old issue that has just come to light through a recent inspection.

Does anyone know which room numbers are affected? I have sent 2 emails to the hotel but have not received a reply. I sent one, two days ago and another a short time ago. I am trying to avoid an international phone call but may have to do that. Thanks!

I received an email from Alex at Locanda Orseolo. This is the email address:

Locanda Orseolo <info@locandaorseolo.com>

If you don't hear anything today, you should call them.

There could be a problem with them receiving your email for some reason. They are very good about replying to email.

Lynda - I checked your email address and you use Comcast and they cannot receive or send with Comcast. They have to go to another place to reply to your email and it may take some time. I also have Comcast and have now set up gmail for travel since it works everywhere. I also have trouble with Comcast on the ships. If you'd rather not call just set up gmail and send them another email. Keep in mind the time difference too. Good luck.

Gail

Thanks, everyone for your help. I did use the correct email address for them and have used my gmail account to send and receive their mail. I've never had any problem with them responding before and we have had several exchanges back and forth for the past year or so. If I don't hear anything by end of the day today I guess I will have to call. You would think they would have sent me an email already if my room was one of the cancellations. I know my room number is #16, superior courtside, if that helps.

JMHO - If I had reservations at a property that has potential health and/or safety issues I would cancel. I suggested th Ca Arco Antico on a previous post. If you can get the water taxi to stop at the right place it is only about a 200 foot walk to the front door. It is near the Rialto Bridge.

JMHO - If I had reservations at a property that has potential health and/or safety issues I would cancel. I suggested th Ca Arco Antico on a previous post. If you can get the water taxi to stop at the right place it is only about a 200 foot walk to the front door. It is near the Rialto Bridge.

There is no indication this is a health or safety issue. Just Italian beaurocracy.

There is no indication this is a health or safety issue. Just Italian beaurocracy.

What's going to happen if the Italian beuaracracy shuts them down while all these folks are enroute?? I personally do not like to take chances like that.

This almost sounds like something out of a novel, but I've read John Berendt's book, The City of Falling Angels (2005), and I don't think this situation would surprise him one bit. Because of generally huge bureaucratic problems in Italy, which are even worse in Venice, people often cut corners to get something done, especially when it comes to renovations. Unfortunately in this case, the "ax" fell on the current owner, who isn't cupable.

Barb

My sentiments exactly. I have read a number of articles bemoaning the terrible inefficiency in the Italian Government system. Unless this is a simple matter (and NOTHING in Italy seems simple), I suspect the rooms will be out of service for the foreseeable future.

Cheers

Archived