Locanda Orseolo

Longislanderluvs2cruise

Has anyone who is staying at the Locanda Orseolo between now and the end of September received an email from them cancelling the reservation due to issues related to some of the rooms not being able to be used for hotel accomodations?

Our friends received this email, but we did not. We have contacted the Locanda Orseolo to see if this email is valid, but I was wondering if anyone has received something similar.

thanks

Has anyone who is staying at the Locanda Orseolo between now and the end of September received an email from them cancelling the reservation due to issues related to some of the rooms not being able to be used for hotel accomodations?

Our friends received this email, but we did not. We have contacted the Locanda Orseolo to see if this email is valid, but I was wondering if anyone has received something similar.

thanks

This seems strange to me. I would call them immediately. The entire staff can speak perfect English, so you won't have any problems communicating with them. Alex and Gigi can answer your questions.

We recently stayed there and it was by far the most attentive staff I have ever encountered. They are awesome.

They have another property in Venice and we went there to see it and have drinks on the balcony. It is amazing, too.

I can't imagine that they would send an email cancelling a reservation without offering another option. Something is fishy with this.

This seems strange to me. I would call them immediately. The entire staff can speak perfect English, so you won't have any problems communicating with them. Alex and Gigi can answer your questions.

We recently stayed there and it was by far the most attentive staff I have ever encountered. They are awesome.

They have another property in Venice and we went there to see it and have drinks on the balcony. It is amazing, too.

I can't imagine that they would send an email cancelling a reservation without offering another option. Something is fishy with this.

My thoughts exactly. We stayed there 3 years ago and had a wonderful time. I will give them a call, however, I wanted to see if anyone else may have received this email. What is strange is that all their emails usually come from the same email address(info@locandaorseolo). This one, however, came from another email address that had Mateo's name in it. Our friends forwarded the email they received to the original email address(the one shown above) to see if it is a valid email.

My thoughts exactly. We stayed there 3 years ago and had a wonderful time. I will give them a call, however, I wanted to see if anyone else may have received this email. What is strange is that all their emails usually come from the same email address(info@locandaorseolo). This one, however, came from another email address that had Mateo's name in it. Our friends forwarded the email they received to the original email address(the one shown above) to see if it is a valid email.

I am glad that you are going to call them.

Please post here what you find out. I hope this has a happy outcome.

A few people on TripAdvisor have had the same issue. Definitely call them and see if they can help you out. This is one of our favorite hotels so we hope their issues can be resolved quickly.

One person said that the LO recently had an inspection by one of the various officials who decided the previous owner had not gotten proper permits for some of the additions and changes they made and some of the rooms could not be used as hotel rooms until the matter is resolved. Not sure if that is accurate or not, if it is, hopefully they can find a solution.

I called the Locanda Orseolo and spoke with Alex. They are indeed having a problem at their hotel and have had to close 3 rooms, 2 of which we were booked in.

This is the email that we received:

we need your urgent attention on this note, that we are writing in a deep feeling of frustration and astonishment. Further to a recent inspection of the local police, we’ve just been notified that some rooms of our Locanda do not have the necessary authorization to be used as hotel accommodations; also, there is a growing suspect that the previous owner of the Locanda – the one who made all the conversion from residential apartments to hotel business – may have obtained the license to run the Locanda Orseolo in a fraudulent way. Of all this, we were absolutely unaware until yesterday, when this notification reached us, since we overtook the Locanda from the previous owner with all the documents in perfect order.

The current local administration intends to further investigate and has ordered us not to use the controversial rooms until a clarifying light is cast on this unpleasant situation. You may imagine how disruptive all this is for our business. We're taking this incident very seriously and are actively pursuing the matter with law enforcement. But the worse thing is not to know how long all this will take.

Now, the rooms you booked are unfortunately among the ones mentioned above and our professionalism tells us not to undervalue the importance of a prompt communication like this. Although we have no idea of what’s going to happen on the next days, we feel it wise to let you know that at this stage we are unable to honour the reservation we had been holding for you so far.

We hope we can count on your understanding and support and stay of course at your full disposal if you need any assistance in finding alternative accommodations in Venice.

This is an unfortunate situation for everyone involved.

What a disappointment for you. I do hope that you and your friends are able to find other lodging.

I hope the fine people at Locanda Orseolo are able to resolve this quickly with the authorities.

Thank you for coming back to post what you learned.

This is an unfortunate situation for everyone involved.

What a disappointment for you. I do hope that you and your friends are able to find other lodging.

I hope the fine people at Locanda Orseolo are able to resolve this quickly with the authorities.

Thank you for coming back to post what you learned.

Yes it is a mess and I do hope that they can resolve this quickly. They are a fine bunch of people there and we were so looking forward to staying there once again. Now, the problem is finding another hotel during peak season. Anyone have any suggestions???

Yes it is a mess and I do hope that they can resolve this quickly. They are a fine bunch of people there and we were so looking forward to staying there once again. Now, the problem is finding another hotel during peak season. Anyone have any suggestions???

The email from the hotel offered to help you find alternate accommodations. Why not follow up on their offer?

We had a similar problem with Locanda Orseolo in 2007. At that time they had several rooms closed for a long time due to plumbing issues. Our reservation was cancelled and they recommended another hotel, that their brother Matteo had just opened called Al Ponte Antico. Right next to the Rialto Bridge. We were quite upset that we couldn't stay at Locanda Orseolo; but we could not have been happier with Al Ponte Antico.

Check Al Ponte Mocenigo.

Unfortunately, all the places they have recommended do not have any availability on the date needed.

So sorry. Please check out Hotel Anastasia near San Marco. It doesn't have the charm and amazing breakfasts of Locanda Orseolo but the location is fantastic. (Anastasia is a clean modern place.)

September is a really busy time in Venice so it is not surprising that finding a good spot is kind of difficult at this point! I know Locanda Orseolo is special but I've not stayed there because it is usually too expensive for me!

The small popular places book up quickly. You may need to look at a site like:

http://www.venere.com just to see availability and then try the hotel/B&B web site itself to check prices.

Ca Angeli, where I usually stay, is probably booked too but you can try it-a lovely palazzo on the Grand Canal now with upper floors used as a B&B(elevator, good bkfst, and good bathrooms)

I called the Locanda Orseolo and spoke with Alex. They are indeed having a problem at their hotel and have had to close 3 rooms, 2 of which we were booked in.

This is the email that we received:

we need your urgent attention on this note, that we are writing in a deep feeling of frustration and astonishment. Further to a recent inspection of the local police, we’ve just been notified that some rooms of our Locanda do not have the necessary authorization to be used as hotel accommodations; also, there is a growing suspect that the previous owner of the Locanda – the one who made all the conversion from residential apartments to hotel business – may have obtained the license to run the Locanda Orseolo in a fraudulent way. Of all this, we were absolutely unaware until yesterday, when this notification reached us, since we overtook the Locanda from the previous owner with all the documents in perfect order.

The current local administration intends to further investigate and has ordered us not to use the controversial rooms until a clarifying light is cast on this unpleasant situation. You may imagine how disruptive all this is for our business. We're taking this incident very seriously and are actively pursuing the matter with law enforcement. But the worse thing is not to know how long all this will take.

Now, the rooms you booked are unfortunately among the ones mentioned above and our professionalism tells us not to undervalue the importance of a prompt communication like this. Although we have no idea of what’s going to happen on the next days, we feel it wise to let you know that at this stage we are unable to honour the reservation we had been holding for you so far.

We hope we can count on your understanding and support and stay of course at your full disposal if you need any assistance in finding alternative accommodations in Venice.

This almost sounds like something out of a novel, but I've read John Berendt's book, The City of Falling Angels (2005), and I don't think this situation would surprise him one bit. Because of generally huge bureaucratic problems in Italy, which are even worse in Venice, people often cut corners to get something done, especially when it comes to renovations. Unfortunately in this case, the "ax" fell on the current owner, who isn't cupable.

Barb

So sorry. Please check out Hotel Anastasia near San Marco. It doesn't have the charm and amazing breakfasts of Locanda Orseolo but the location is fantastic. (Anastasia is a clean modern place.)

Nice to hear someone on CC has stayed at the Hotel Anastasia and liked it! We're staying there in October, having read a good review in Budget Travel. What was the walk like from the Alilaguna San Marco stop? Was it difficult to haul luggage up and over the bridge over the Moise Canal? Thanks!

Barb

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread. We're booked for Oct and have stayed at LO in 2009. We love this hotel and their most wonderful staff. I certainly hope this gets resolved quickly....for all of us staying there and for their owners.

Italy is notoriously slow to resolve these sorts of legal issues. IF I had a res at LO I'd book a back up hotel for October just in case. There are many places where you can book without paying anything and you can cancel within 24-48hrs. of your stay. It is better to have an extra res than to get caught short!(IMO)

This almost sounds like something out of a novel, but I've read John Berendt's book, The City of Falling Angels (2005), and I don't think this situation would surprise him one bit. Because of generally huge bureaucratic problems in Italy, which are even worse in Venice, people often cut corners to get something done, especially when it comes to renovations. Unfortunately in this case, the "ax" fell on the current owner, who isn't cupable.

I think this scenario or something similar to it was also a sub-plot in one of the Donna Leon books... I'd have to go through them to remember which one though.

Nice to hear someone on CC has stayed at the Hotel Anastasia and liked it! We're staying there in October, having read a good review in Budget Travel. What was the walk like from the Alilaguna San Marco stop? Was it difficult to haul luggage up and over the bridge over the Moise Canal? Thanks!

Barb

We last stayed at Anastasia the second or third year it was open so some of the comments on Trip Advisor about worn upholstery simply were not an issue. Here's what we enjoyed: location, location, location, the elevator, and effective air conditioning. I don't remember any negatives. Besides it was such a step up from the previous year's hotel San Moise which was supposed to give off shabby chic but was really just plain shabby. (Threadbare rugs in the hallway were a trip hazard and there was a soft spot in our floor presumably from wood rot. On the plus side, we did have a view of one of the back canals.)

Now to answer your specific question about the walk and the bridge: As I recall, it's one of the standard three/four step bridges. Nothing special. We were in our mid-50s when we stayed there and I don't recall any particular difficulty. I'll add that we never travel with as much luggage as many cruisers. At most, we travel with a 24" suitcase and a small carry-on. For our most recent land trip in Southeast Asia, we bought new lightweight hardside luggage that's smaller than the typical 24" suitcase so we could come in under 40 lbs, the limit for many domestic flights on international carriers.

You might want to search for a thread about Hotel Flora VS Hotel ??? In that thread, I provide a lot of specific directions to the Hotel Flora which, like Anastasia, is off Calle Larga XXII Marzo.

Hope this helps.

Archived